WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I'm going out and doing some graffiti on a shelter the next chance I get just to get under jack and weary's skin. I'm serious, you guys have no respect for history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    How'd you feel if "decorations" and "artwork" appeared overnight on YOUR house? Or car?

Not so enthusiastic I bet.
    Different situation. And you know it.

A lovers heart with some intials in it on a firetower is not "[insert some politician's name in your mind] 666" on someone's garage door. There is now comparison, don't be silly.
    Last edited by Alligator; 11-13-2008 at 17:38. Reason: No Politics

This does not sound like a graffiti subject. It sounds like someone going way over the line and comitting vandalizm. Why shouldn't they be prosecuted. Should we now accept that this behavior is ok? Again, this is not about a small carving. It's not what some may consider "a traditional thing". It sounds like vandalism on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    This does not sound like a graffiti subject. It sounds like someone going way over the line and comitting vandalizm. Why shouldn't they be prosecuted. Should we now accept that this behavior is ok? Again, this is not about a small carving. It's not what some may consider "a traditional thing". It sounds like vandalism on the AT.
    This is all sticky stuff, but it seems to me that vandalism would be an act that would compromise the structural integrity of the shelter. Carving a name would be graffiti, regardless of how big.

A lot of people have "convicted" this guy without any proof. I'm not defending him, I'm just saying this all seems like a mob-mentality movement is growing. We've seen this before on WB, when will we learn?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Perhaps. Are you saying that if your town office building, is vandalized it's okay, because it belongs to the community, not to a private group.
    A town office building is in a zoned city limit, subject to local laws concerning vandalism as definined by city ordinance.

Other than local maintaining clubs, who has the authority to determine what vandalism is, and what the punishment is, regarding shelters?

Then who enforces it?

I think this was discussed without any reconciliation in another thread. It seems we all disagree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post

Other than local maintaining clubs, who has the authority to determine what vandalism is, and what the punishment is, regarding shelters?

Then who enforces it?
    the 1 lone ranger for the WHOLE AT will come and get ya!

LOne Wolf, had you worked seriously over the years maintaining the trail, I doubt you would have made that comment.

Regardless, this is what someone else commented:

Posted by Grizzly Bear:

"This kid vandalized almost every trail shelter in the state of Maine. He is no better than a street thug spray painting on the sides of bridges. You would think an Eagle Scout would have more respect for the trail, maintainers."

Weary

I know you didn't write it Weary, but Grizzly bear needs to look at what a real criminal is. Good god, it's a little bit of wood that won't deteriorate any faster because of a few carvings.

GET OVER IT PEOPLE. Congrats on your thru Cubby '08. Look forward to putting my name near yours if I get the chance

Piss Ant Moaners I tell ya. Kid won a photo contest and now he's got a lynch mob after him.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    that photo stinks
    And you are correct. That photo sucks. But if you run a marathon and you are the only runner, you've got a good shot at winning

The other two entries were one portraying a giant zit on a prom date and a 350 lb woman in a bikini.

Not a shelter but allegedly 15 shelters. Not one violation of the law, but 15 violations -- in Maine alone. We haven't heard as yet how many other shelters he may have defaced.

However, no one is lynching the kid. I'm just using it as a way to alert folks that there is a rarely used and even more rarely understood "Leave No Trace" ethic. In my opinion, he should be required to remove his vandalism -- or pay the cost of having someone else do it for him.

Weary
    You misunderstand the concept of leave no trace. By building the shelter you are the one who created the impact. If the shelter YOU built was not there I HIGHLY DOUBT that Cubby 08 would have carved his name along all the trees on the AT.

YOU CAUSED THE HUMAN FOOTPRINT IF YOU BUILT A SHELTER.

NOT A PERSON WHO MARKED THEMSELVES AS BEING THERE.

It's baffling that this concept is even being argued.

what someone said before. Those who build shelters should automatically assume that pretty soon someone, sometime, and continuously will be quote un quote De- Facing it.

And how many shelters have YOU helped to build?

Details please.

Griffiti IS vandalism. Nobody gives a hoot about some small scratchs or markings that do not offend. And BTW, structural integrity has nothing to do with it. How much lower do you want to put the bar of appropriate behavior. If it is ok for "Cubby 08" to make these oversized carvings and deface the shelters in such a manner, is it ok for "Larry 09" to one up Cubby by making larger carvings? Has "Cubby 08" set a precedent?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Griffiti IS vandalism. Nobody gives a hoot about some small scratchs or markings that do not offend. And BTW, structural integrity has nothing to do with it. How much lower do you want to put the bar of appropriate behavior. If it is ok for "Cubby 08" to make these oversized carvings and deface the shelters in such a manner, is it ok for "Larry 09" to one up Cubby by making larger carvings? Has "Cubby 08" set a precedent?
    When does small scratches become too big? But as I said before I still don't know what we're talking about. How big are these carvings? Can someone show pics with scale?
    As for the graffiti vs. vandalism, yes that is subjective with respect to lean-tos.

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    I think it has more to do with respect than anything....
    Exactly.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Reminds me of a fellow named Diablows in '07...

Correct me if I am mistaken--

If these acts of vandalism occured on federal land, then this act of "damaging natural resources and facilities, as well as actions that cause unreasonable disturbances for National Forest visitors" violates federal law (36 CFR 261, link cited below) and the perpetrator is subject to a penalty of not more than $5,000 or 6 months imprisonment, or both.

http://www.fs.fed.us/lei/CFR_261_web/36cfr261_index.htm

My suggestion: Provide the appropriate authorities with the the information available and allow the legal system to do its job and move on to more wholesome discussion.

My personal opinion: I hope the judge gives the punk a few thousand hours of community service as a trail maintainer.

Yes, Respect does factor in, and has been in the back of my mind after reading the posts that describe the enormity of this carving.
    With all this talk about cubby’s horrific vandalistic act, I became very concerned about the possibility that he vandalized someone else’s vandalism.

Have to agree with everyone who thinks this is vandalism.

I did a long hike in Michigan in Oct. Near an overlook, there is a large viewing deck that was built in to a crumbling riverbank, in order to further prevent erosion. The trail club who built the deck did a very nice job.

I was so disappointed by all the crap carved into the wood. The "F" word, So & So loves So & So, Blank was here, all that garbage. It was distracting. Obnoxious. I really didn't want to see it, and I was sad to see all the trail work defaced.

For those of you who argue that any trail work is defacement, why hike on the trail? I can't believe that you would condone someone undoing someone's trail work.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    I'm going out and doing some graffiti on a shelter the next chance I get just to get under jack and weary's skin. I'm serious, you guys have no respect for history.
    That would be pretty obnoxious. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    You misunderstand the concept of leave no trace. By building the shelter you are the one who created the impact. If the shelter YOU built was not there I HIGHLY DOUBT that Cubby 08 would have carved his name along all the trees on the AT.

YOU CAUSED THE HUMAN FOOTPRINT IF YOU BUILT A SHELTER.

NOT A PERSON WHO MARKED THEMSELVES AS BEING THERE.

It's baffling that this concept is even being argued.

what someone said before. Those who build shelters should automatically assume that pretty soon someone, sometime, and continuously will be quote un quote De- Facing it.
    hey. i agree

Building a trail in the first place causes human impact.

Should the trail be trashed just because it was constructed?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++