WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking Campsite Near Compton Gap / Shenandoah

I'm planning a northbound AT Shenandoah Trip, and I just can't quite make the distance into Front Royal on my last day via the Dickey Ridge Trail. I know I could make it to Tom Floyd, but I'd rather not go the extra 2.5 miles only to double back another 2+ miles to access Dickey Ridge the next day.

Are there any reasonably flat, somewhat spacious places to pull off-trail to camp for the night near Compton Gap? The map shows a level area by Fort Windham Rocks, but who knows?

Thanks for any help. The default is Tom Floyd.
    Steve

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

There's plenty of spots to set up right off the trail around Compton overlook. I remember there's an obvious tenting spot just south of it...make sure to grab water before camping as these spots are dry
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Is that the place where there are 2 spur trails? We ate lunch there this year and hiked up to the left, but didn't hike down to the right, which is where I think you mena. Do you think there's enough space for a few tents?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

About half a mile north of the Compton overlook spur trail is a little creek crossing the AT. Between these two points there are some obvious camping spots. I really don't think you'll have any trouble finding them. I can't pin-point exactly where to go, though.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

++ New Posts ++