WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default cooking pot input needed

After getting input from various people, I think I am going to get an alcohol stove, possibly the Etowah II Stove Kit. Now for the cooking pot
    I'm looking for an ultralight cookpot for one person which hopefully will be inexpensive. What kind of cooking pot do you use? Do you use it for both cooking and eating from, including cereal in the morning?

Darwin
    [email protected]

Journal Entries
    Images

Check this out: antigravity gear pot. You could get your entire kitchen from Tin Man.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

There are much lighter stoves out there than the Etowah. The Etowah will get all rusty very quick as well. It still works rusty, but I keep my stove inside my pot and don't like rusty things in my pot. This was my first alcohol stove and it did all right, but its kind of heavy.

Images

Default antigravitygear

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Check this out: antigravity gear pot. You could get your entire kitchen from Tin Man.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    i second that. i bought the Caldera Kitchen http://www.antigravitygear.com/cald_kitchen.php for my son for our next trip. he's going to get to use my old one setup
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

KMart grease pot. Seven bucks, and if you fall on it your wallet won't get bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by aaroniguana View Post
    KMart grease pot. Seven bucks, and if you fall on it your wallet won't get bruised.
    I agree,you can not go wrong w/ this one.

Garlic
    Images

My wife, GreasePot (AT'02, PCT '04), would agree with the KMart grease pot.

Some people are worried about cooking in aluminum. If you're one of them, go with titanium.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I like my GSI soloist.
    Alan

Snow Peak Trek 1400, lightweight Ti, Big enough for 2 if you need it, small enough for one. The lid doubles as a fry pan. My entire cooking ensemble fits inside (stove, windscreen, utensils, scrubby sponge, coffee maker)

IMUSA mug from Wal-Mart or any grocer that caters to the latino community. Very cheap & pretty light.

Images

I used a Heiniken beer can, then a Fosters. Both work well for heating water, but arn't teribly sturdy. My Fosters sprung a nearly microscopic leak somewhere between the Vandeventer shelter & the Lost Mt Shelter, just about mid can. As the water leaked out, it diluted the fuel, making me have to use 2x the fuel as I did not know it was leaking (thought I had gotten some bad fuel). I suspect if I had a better place to keep the can, it would have lasted, but the slight movement of the can each time I stored it or even moved the pack, caused it to metal fatigue.

I now use a Jet boil pot with my alcohol stove. Heavier, but uses less fuel per boil and WAY sturdier. I just need to remember to remove the cozy BEFORE putting it on the stove
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Get a gram weenies kitchen from minibulldesigns. Preotects your heini and comes with a lid.
    Papa John

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Another vote for the Caledra Cone goodies. I have the Caldera Keg and love it!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Default Cooking pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    After getting input from various people, I think I am going to get an alcohol stove, possibly the Etowah II Stove Kit. Now for the cooking pot
    I'm looking for an ultralight cookpot for one person which hopefully will be inexpensive. What kind of cooking pot do you use? Do you use it for both cooking and eating from, including cereal in the morning?

Darwin
    [email protected]
    You know I origionaly bought a stove from walmart thats round and has cross bars for the pot to rest on(uses gel cans of feul) later converted a tuna fish can to a base for it and started using feul tab's! (Just an idea)

Also I bought a titianum cooking pot that also can be used as a large cup, it has nice folding handles on it. Fill with water then use half of it in a bowl or sierra cup for hot cereal and then I use remaining water for alarge cup of coffee!

Stove and feul, w/pot/lid weigh just 12oz's!!! Hope this input help's.

"Cat"

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post

Darwin
    [email protected]
    IMUSA mug I use both the grease pot and/or the small mug (just switch the lid off the grease pot) and yes, it's a bitch to clean up after cereal. Easier to just dump half a mug of hot water into a ziploc full of oats and use a cozy to warm for 15 or 20 minutes. Total cost for both pot and mug were approx six bucks. Also picked up a six dollar non-stick skillet with lid. Great for heating up bagels, flippin hot cakes, baking, cooking all kinds of REAL food. Have a snowpeak ti set, but IMUSA does the same thing, better when it comes to using the skillet.......guess I wouldn't make it in the gear forum, sometime cheaper is better, all depends on yer style. You can hardly go wrong on a 6 buck test, give it a try. Happy Hiking.
    If it feels good, Do It.
    If it feels really good, Don't Stop.

Default Thank you

Dear all,

Thank you for all of your input so far. I certainly appreciate it.
    Take care and have a great day.

Darwin

I use a Vargo Ti Mug and a Trangia Westwind but it also works well with a BIOS or a CatStove. I've also used the Heini Pot. Instead of buying one I would just make one of those Gram Weenie Kitchens for the money you spend buying one you could make half a dozen. I think that Kitchen kit should be named after SkidSteer the man who first came up with the storage solution!
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by queary82 View Post
    I like my GSI soloist.

2nded. He didn't elaborate on it, but the Soloist is so versatile.

It registers 9oz on my scale. The main mug measures 1.1 liters, comes with a smaller (14oz capacity) mug/bowl (with cozy on it.) It has a lexan lid thats crushproof, which acts as a strainer and a Sipper. You can lock the lid on using the mug handle (which locks in place in both "stow away" form and "i need to use this handle" form.) The handle is coated with a heat-resistant plastic that keeps it cool to the touch.

And the stuff sack it comes with is waterproof, you can use it as a camp-sink / water collector.

I got mine at REI for $30, I've used it with alcohol before I got my new stove... Currently, I fit the following into one whole kit:

Cellulose Sponge, 4oz isobutane canister, the 14oz bowl, Titanium Spork, Several Tea, Honey and Sugar Packets, a couple alcohol wipes, an MSR Pocket Rocket and a BIC Lighter

All fits and locks inside the cup and then into the Cozy it came with.

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=gsi0003
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

For those of you that are thinking of using a beer can as a pot, please read this information compiled by Dlarson.

The entire thread related to the lining in beer can pots can be accessed by clicking on the little white box on the left side of Dlarson's name.

Re: Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

by dlarson on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm
    OK, here's what I know.

Pretty much any beer can is going to have an interior coating over the aluminum (pg. 26).
    Preliminary Industry Characterization:
    Metal Can Manufacturing--Surface Coating wrote:Waterborne coatings contain a polymer or resin base, water, and organic solvent. The
    organic polymers found in water-based coatings include alkyds, polyesters, vinyl acetates,
    acrylics, and epoxies, which can be dissolved, dispersed, or emulsified. The water acts as the
    main carrier or dispersant, while the organic solvent aids in wetting, viscosity control, and
    pigment dispersion.
    Beverage can manufacturers use waterborne coatings extensively. Waterborne coatings
    are used for 2-piece beverage can base coats, overvarnishes, inside sprays, and rim coats.
    The interior coating of a beer can is not developed to withstand boiling water at 212 degrees (pg. 29).
    Preliminary Industry Characterization:
    Metal Can Manufacturing--Surface Coating wrote:In general, coatings must exhibit resistance to chemicals, flexibility, and adhesion to
    the metal surface. Coatings for beer and certain beverage cans must be able to survive an
    aqueous pasteurization cycle of 20-30 minutes at temperatures ranging from 140F to 160F
    Heating plastics promotes leaching of toxins into the food.
    Studies have shown when cans are heated in the manufacturing process, BPA leaches out of the linings. Foods are first sealed in cans and heated to kill bacteria in the food. Cans are heated to temperatures between 116 C and 121 C, and the length of time varies according to the type of food.
    Note: This testing also included two beer cans and found they leached between 8 and 9 parts per billion of BPA. As well, a can of apple juice leached 18 parts per billion.
    Ziploc freezer bags do not leach toxins so freezer bag cooking is OK (FAQs Page). And since Ziploc may be biased, here's a second resource stating that Polyethylene bags are safe.

My conclusion is that boiling water in just about any aluminum can is unsafe. If the makeup of the internal coating of Heineken 24oz cans can be determined and the coating is of safe materials that's great. But until then it is logical to assume that there is no difference between the Heineken 24oz cans and most other aluminum cans.
    Freezer bag cooking, in contrast, is safe until proven otherwise.
    epilektric

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Default Cooking with plastic

This should have it's own thread. It's too important to be buried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++