WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well Skidsteer, think about this - someone accidently drinks wood grain alcohol (Fuel) out of a soda bottle and goes horribly blind because of the mixup. They get a lawyer and said they read it here on WB....
    That is exactly why I only use a Lite Beer 'Stay Cool' long neck plastic bottle. Or should that be Lite "Beer" Stay Cool bottle?

I chose it for safety and practical reasons: It's double walled. The cap holds exactly 2 tablespoons which seems to be an important measure for some stove folk. It holds a little more than a HEET bottle, so you can pour in a new HEET at resupply without dumping out the couple ounces left from the last filling.

And no hiker would ever, ever drink Lite Beer.

See? Completely safe.

OK, so the downside is that you have to buy a six-pack of LITE beer to get one bottle. But LITE beer works well as slug bait in your vegetable garden and I've heard there may be other uses.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

i was at Target and went into the pharmacy section and told him i didnt want to keep methyl alcohol in a soda container, and he said

"absolutely, that's good safe thinking, here, take some bough syrup bottles"

free, BTW, lightweight, spillproof; blaze red colour.

does hurt to ask them; especially for the price... free.

Images

I use a Grecian Formula bottle (gotta figure out how to load a pic) ..it's a 4 oz. bottle that holds 5 oz's...it has a locking twist top that allows me to squirt the fuel into my "penny stove''..when I made my stove {3 years ago} before I assembled it, I tapped the penny to indent a pocket over the fill/vent hole, I sanded the edge of the penny so that when in the pocket it keeps fuel from entering the fill/vent hole...this is how I measure my fuel...I put the penny over the fill/vent hole...squirt in some fuel...slide the penny over and let it drain into my stove.
    When I hike and want to bring extra..I bring another one..they're flat and have never had one leak a drop...
    I wouldn't use Duct tape to try to prevent leakage...it won't..the alcohol would dissolve the glue and leak anyway...and when you go to use it..you'll have a gummy mess all over the top...leak or not...

what about your spoon ?? you can use that to measure with.. about 6 tsp's is an oz.

Images

Well Skidsteer, think about this - someone accidently drinks wood grain alcohol (Fuel) out of a soda bottle and goes horribly blind because of the mixup. They get a lawyer and said they read it here on WB....

2nd post in the thread.

Far fetched? maybe.
    uummm...are you trying to play devils advocate or what because surely you aren't that freaking anal! I don't know where you hike, but everywhere I have ever hiked--and with others--a majority of people use old soda bottles with the label off and many of the bottles marked that it is NOT a drinkable liquid. Maybe next time I am out in the middle of no where hiking and run across the Dept. of Agriculture and they turn me in for 'wrongful soda bottle use', I'll chose differently. Until then me and several other 'violaters' will be happy to go the soda bottle route.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPro View Post
    Great thread. So:

1. Unique bottle both sight shape and texture in the dark so you can't possibly in a million years even drunk or half asleep EVER mistake it for anything you would possibly drink out of (small Platy's etc not a good idea for just that reason);

2. Leakproof sturdy, marked for fractional gradations and encased in just-in-case plastic bag (and carried outside main pack if possible) and DON'T carry toxic vaporous fuel all day inside the pot/cup you cook in/eat from;

3. Scratch inside/outside your stove with pre-measured ounce markings;

4. At just 4 ounces a Trangia stove lets you not only simmer but save & carry your unburned fuel in the gasket-sealed stove itself (I love mine, solves several pesky problems/saves a lot of fuel, YMMV);

5. avoid aluminum, go with sturdy plastic, secure squeeze bottle cap a plus but must close securely;

6. Fragile complicated stove designs are (A) fragile and (B) complicated;

I love this thread.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/imag...lies/think.gif ...

I concur..another reason I like my Grecian bottle ..it's unique shape avoids the mix up...

I am seriously thinking about going to the Trangia ... for several reasons as I plan my thru-hike

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Am I the only person who stains my denatured alcohol noticibly green before I leave home? Turns out I never drink any powdered drink that's green, making it easy to identify as poison. Five drops of green food coloring into the quart container of denatured alcohol is perfect.

As for the alcohol bottle: I prefer Knob Creek. But regarding the stove fuel, whatever's convienent, usually an 8 or 12 ounce water bottle.

Images

I keep mine in a green plastic soda bottle. All of my water bottles are clear.

Images

Without going into details Dept of Agriculture is very specific about decanting into soda bottles. Recently a customer asked a favor of an employee, to put a small amount of solution into a soda bottle so that it could be dropped down a sink in the night. The employee at first refused because that was a stupid thing to do, the customer insisted. (The customer is always right?) The employee relented and the bottle was filled with a blue colored fluid and placed high on a shelf. Later the customer came in to drop it down the sink only to find the bottle was gone and a ten year old smiling and holding the empty bottle. Yep he drank it. They rushed him to the hospital and the hospital called the police, the phone boards rang, the emergency call list was activated and the employee was fired.

There would have been a lawsuit, had the solution been even remotly a material associated with a poison. It did not, it was a common bacterium for removing lard from pipes. So the kid got a small dose of diarrea.

Today you cannot put something in a recognizable soda bottle and relable it - you will lose.

Lets just say its a stupid thing to do. So don't do it.

Choose a different bottle. Use a Scope bottle, comes with a measure cup. When it comes to soda - only use soda or water.

ooooooooooookkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Images

I am, and I am not the dept of Agriculture and they said specifically - no soda bottles.

Just the messenger.

seriously??? Anal much??

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    I keep mine in a green plastic soda bottle. All of my water bottles are clear.
    Thats what I do too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Gungho - the Mel Blanc thing is my way of saying I am done with the thread. I am not that anal,

Seriously some folk would tell you that you can go to sea on your boat without a compass here on the internet...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Good reason to carry everclear.
    You wont die, but you might wish you did the next day when all your fuel is gone.
    ho ho ho - you are alright!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

My alcohol is in a Coke bottle. Coke isn't clear. If someone steals my Coke bottle and drinks it it's just Karma at work.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    My alcohol is in a Coke bottle. Coke isn't clear. If someone steals my Coke bottle and drinks it it's just Karma at work.
    And Darwin.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Coke bottle for me too. Used the same one for 10 years and no one has died yet. No it doesn't have a label on it, yes it has a red cap on it. It sits down inside the bottom of another plastic bottle that I used as a dipper.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Default Check this

I just picked this up. My 8oz weighs 1oz. Cheap and the flip cap is great. No leaking at all. Also, this site sells great mini dropper bottles.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3605&catid=530

Images

Wow, 74 cents! Basically, you'd be paying for shipping. Nice find.

Images

soda bottle wrapped in duct tape

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burntoutphilosopher View Post
    i was at Target and went into the pharmacy section and told him i didnt want to keep methyl alcohol in a soda container, and he said

"absolutely, that's good safe thinking, here, take some bough syrup bottles"

free, BTW, lightweight, spillproof; blaze red colour.

does hurt to ask them; especially for the price... free.

.........................Awesome!

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    soda bottle wrapped in duct tape
    Well I thought I was done with this thread... William did you even read this thread?

Folks - go ahead call me anal... I don't care. You amaze me with your bad advice here on WB. You have no senses, you cannot tell the difference by smelling Ethel vs Everclear!

People get upset when people get killed by stupidity.

Now here is the surprise, in the early 1900's some 600 annual deaths were attributed to drinking Ethel, In New York City some 15-30 per year died because its in the NYC paper. Now I am not going to bother looking up how many died last year to Ethel, but I am sure its still happening amongst the winos and bright college kids. Why, because Everclear is outlawed here in PA due to the deaths of college morons, who drank too much.

So if putting Ethel in a soda bottle is BAD advice - so be it, dont' argue-don't do it. Keep it in a marked leak proof container other than a recognizable soda bottle.

Apparently as you are adults perhaps you should read what your kids are saying....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5213703AAuT2zW

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-09-2011 at 14:13.

Woo

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++