WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

You will be fine. You don't need to hike shelter-to-shelter -- you can skip around, plenty of good campsites along the trail (and at shelters). 9 days including drive time is plenty.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I hiked that section a couple of years ago going southbound. It was excellent. It is easily doable in a week, including the approach trail. I did it with no problem back then and I hadn't really been hiking that much that year (I did it in October). I tented and didn't depend on shelters.

This was my plan:

Day 1 (short day): Left car at Amicalola and got locals to shuttle me to Deep Gap, NC which is USFS71. Stayed overnight just north of Bly Gap. You can get water at Muskrat Creek Shelter along the way.
    Day 2: Camped at Deep Gap (GA) Shelter. There is a spring here.
    Day 3: Camped near Blue Mountain Shelter. There is water nearby.
    Day 4: Camped on Cowrock Mountain. Amazing view! I passed a trail maintenance guy before I got there and he said it was the best campsite on the GA AT (people rarely use it). There is a questionable spring located nearby, so best to get water when you find it along the way.
    Day 5: Camped south of Woody Gap. You can find water along the way.
    Day 6: Camped in the Three Forks area along the creek. No problem finding water here.
    Day 7: Back to Amicalola parking lot and head home!

Maybe it will be less crowded heading SOBO?

Images

The first time I hiked GA I was 20 pounds overweight plus 25 pounds too heavy on my pack. No training, never been long distance backpacking before and had to talk myself up some of the hills, (OK most of the hills). Hiked GA and the 7 miles in 8 days. So--if a short, fat, out of shape me could do it, you should have no problems. Go, enjoy!!!
    Turtle2

I just finished this section (over two years) and we averaged 10 miles per day. My hiking partner and I work out in the gym 51 weeks per year to do this, and we still ache at the end of each day. You can do this easily. After 4 days, you'll be ready for 12's per day (and more). Use the resupply ops to ensure you're carrying minimum weight. This is awesome hiking, with some tough hills, but you will have the time of your life!!! I concur with others who suggest...try to miss the rush of thru-hikers so you can have some peace and quiet (although I haven't been there it sounds CRAZY). Start in late April/early May and avoid the rush.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

There is so much mixed information out there that an AT virgin like myself reads too much conflicting information (one of the reasons why I am loving this site).

If avoiding the shelters is possible then by all means I plan on tent camping the entire journey and just wakling until my feet tell me it's time to call it a day.

I have ordered the resources that were linked, but how far apart are towns to resupply on food?

Images

There are more resupplies than you'll actually want to take advantage of, unless you are planning to slackpack the whole thing. (That is not a criticism of slackpacking, but I am assuming you want to hike and camp as much as possible.)

If I were doing the section myself (which I might do in January), I would start at Amicalola Falls and plan three days to get to Neels Gap. Resupply there, since the Trail goes right through the building. You can either plan to buy hiking meals and energy bars and stuff in the store, or you can send yourself a box.

Carry on hiking and finish the section without resupply. You'd be carrying three or four days' food at the most.

There are a number of other places to get off the Trail and resupply, but you'd be losing more hiking time than gaining convenience, IMO. After you read about various hostels and whatnot, though, you might decide to stop at one or more of them for other reasons...or if the weather is really lousy, you have the option of spending the night in a motel or a hostel and drying out/warming up.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NCYankee View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

There is so much mixed information out there that an AT virgin like myself reads too much conflicting information (one of the reasons why I am loving this site).

If avoiding the shelters is possible then by all means I plan on tent camping the entire journey and just wakling until my feet tell me it's time to call it a day.

I have ordered the resources that were linked, but how far apart are towns to resupply on food?

Buy this -- http://www.appalachianpages.com/ its all you need for GOOD info.
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Images

Hey NCyankee, don't get too jealous of thru hikers, after a few weeks on the trail I became jealous of section hikers with their gourmet meals and 7 mile days. Also a note on elevation, Just because a mountain is over 6,000 ft doesn't mean it's harder than a 3,500 ft mountain. There are several climbs in GA that I consider to be tougher than a lot of mountains over 5,000 ft. Sassafrass mtn, Wildcat, and climbing out of Unicoi gap come to mind, but that could also be due to the fact that I wasn't in hiking shape yet. I would suggest walking as far as you feel like and don't worry about the mileage. I liked the receipts at Neel's Gap, at the bottom it says, "It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles. Enjoy your hike.

p.s. I thought Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap was absolutely beautiful, especially when the trillium are in bloom.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    Hey NCyankee, don't get too jealous of thru hikers, after a few weeks on the trail I became jealous of section hikers with their gourmet meals and 7 mile days.

Now that is actually an interesting perspective on seciton vs thru hikers.

I do admit when we hiked on weekends and met long distance hikers, our meals I think were making them salivate as they are ripping open the ho hum Ramen and we had a two pot beef stroganoff meal going.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Don't rush through the first few miles past Springer. Three Forks and Long Creek Falls are beautiful spots.
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd resupply at Neels and maybe Dicks Creek Gap. I think Fran and Laura will hold a package if you stay or at least through a few bucks their way, I'd check first. They are super people. But, it is only another day or day and half to your jump off. Take your time like some others suggested. Georgia is full of great views and neat places.

On another note, I wouldn't start at ASP, I'd start at Springer, but that is just me, HYOH.

Prepare, then.....
    Just start. Enjoy. Hike until you want to stop.
    Plenty of places to get on and off when you want.
    Check out the blue blazed trails too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++