WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Tent weights/Bivy

I always see a tent described with a few different weights. Pack weight, fast pack weight, trail weight, and a few others. I honestly have no idea why a tent would weigh three different amounts. What's with this? And whose ever really had a ventalation problem either?

Another question I have, now that I'm thinking about it, is I have no idea how my trek poles attach to my bivy. I bought the middle of the road SD Navassa bivy and it doesn't make sense how I'm going to use my trek poles for it to stand up with. Getting in and out pull on it alot when I've got the top guyed out to a tree (just enough for some face room) so I can't figure out how to get it right. I've seen pictures with the poles in an X over the top but that really doesn't work.

And no I do not use my bivy with my tent.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

You will get much more expert answers to this question, but I'm just goofing off before bed so here's my very inexpert answer.

I think the different weights depend on what you include with the tent. The shipping weight will include stuff like the owner's manual and packaging, so obviously that's going to be more. Pack weight should be what it actually weighs in your pack with the parts you'd normally take along... not sure about the difference between that and trail weight. Fast pack weight is just the fly and footprint (and poles?), if you have a tent with the option of leaving the mesh tent body behind when bugs aren't an issue.

Your second question... no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianSC View Post
    I always see a tent described with a few different weights. Pack weight, fast pack weight, trail weight, and a few others. I honestly have no idea why a tent would weigh three different amounts. What's with this? And whose ever really had a ventalation problem either?

Another question I have, now that I'm thinking about it, is I have no idea how my trek poles attach to my bivy. I bought the middle of the road SD Navassa bivy and it doesn't make sense how I'm going to use my trek poles for it to stand up with. Getting in and out pull on it alot when I've got the top guyed out to a tree (just enough for some face room) so I can't figure out how to get it right. I've seen pictures with the poles in an X over the top but that really doesn't work.

And no I do not use my bivy with my tent.
    Pack weight should be what it arrives as. Trail weight I find to be a lie in most tents, but I think it's supposed to be the tent without the manual and other little garbage bits. Fast pack is fly, poles, and footprint only. hope this helps
    Will I ever get to where I am going? If I do, will I know when I am there?

++ New Posts ++