WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by virgil View Post
    No one is calling anyone a liar or a fraud. But in fairness, the AT is the AT. It starts at Springer and ends at Katahdin. It's really that simple. You can hike all the side trails and alternative trails and connecting trails you want. The trails mentioned in the Posts are all fine, legitimate trails in their own right. They are just not the AT. It's not a purist argument. It's just a factual point that the AT the AT. Hike on.
    You haven't been around here long enough to witness the debate. Yes, I well aware of where the AT starts and ends.

Let's say someone hiked from Springer to Katahdin Stream and due to a strict deadline couldn't hike Katahdin and finish the trail because it was closed by weather. Would he not in your eyes be a "thru-hiker"? That's a purist debate.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You haven't been around here long enough to witness the debate. Yes, I well aware of where the AT starts and ends.

Let's say someone hiked from Spring to Katahdin Stream and due to a strict deadline couldn't hike Katahdin and finish the trail because it was closed by weather. Would he not in your eyes be a "thru-hiker"? That's a purist debate.
    I would call it a thru and not care what anyone else thought.

Default I tend to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    These trails all sound wonderful but I feel compelled to say that a thru-hike of the A.T. had better involve all of Georgia (including Springer Mt.) or it's difficult to see how it could be considered an A.T. thru-hike. Hikes with a "possible alternate southern terminus" may well be memorable and wonderful, but an A.T. thru-hike is a hike of the entire A.T. When one hikes alternate routes or trails, or when one starts or completes one's journey at an "alternate" or off-trail (i.e. off the A.T.) terminus, then it's hard to see how this could be considered a hike of the entire A.T. Side and alternate Trails are great, and I always check out side Trails, points of interest, etc. But while thru-hiking, I did this IN ADDITION to following the A.T. and not INSTEAD of hiking the A.T. I applaud anyone who's interested in these alternate or additional routes, but to suggest that in hiking these completely different Trails one is also hiking the A.T......well this simply isn't so. When you hike leave the Trail for a "possible alternate" route, you are no longer hiking the A.T.

I enjoyed hiking the FHT beginning at Table Rock in SC and on to Oconee SP, then backtracked to join the Chattooga/Bartram trail that would take me into Ga joining the AT in the Nantahala's of NC. I terminated my hike at NOC. I experienced a nice new trail and got to do some of the old familiar AT. I too believe to have hiked the AT you should at least begin and finish at the designated and recognized termini. Hike the AT first then do other trails nearby, I would like one day to do other trails joining the AT, the Long Trail, IAT, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I would call it a thru and not care what anyone else thought.
    I agree.

Another example, closer to the case at hand, say a sobo bails on the BMT and picks up the Pinhoti and walks to Key West, while his partner finishes at Springer. The way some of these guys make it sound like the guy that did the extra 1500 miles isn't a thru-hiker. It's ludicrous

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I agree.

Another example, closer to the case at hand, say a sobo bails on the BMT and picks up the Pinhoti and walks to Key West, while his partner finishes at Springer. The way some of these guys make it sound like the guy that did the extra 1500 miles isn't a thru-hiker. It's ludicrous
    The Florida Trail ends at Loop Road in Big Cypress. Walking to Key West is ludicrous.
    Your Florida Trail Thru Hikers certificate will be revoked.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    These trails all sound wonderful but I feel compelled to say that a thru-hike of the A.T. had better involve all of Georgia (including Springer Mt.) or it's difficult to see how it could be considered an A.T. thru-hike. Hikes with a "possible alternate southern terminus" may well be memorable and wonderful, but an A.T. thru-hike is a hike of the entire A.T. When one hikes alternate routes or trails, or when one starts or completes one's journey at an "alternate" or off-trail (i.e. off the A.T.) terminus, then it's hard to see how this could be considered a hike of the entire A.T. Side and alternate Trails are great, and I always check out side Trails, points of interest, etc. But while thru-hiking, I did this IN ADDITION to following the A.T. and not INSTEAD of hiking the A.T. I applaud anyone who's interested in these alternate or additional routes, but to suggest that in hiking these completely different Trails one is also hiking the A.T......well this simply isn't so. When you hike leave the Trail for a "possible alternate" route, you are no longer hiking the A.T.
    I guess that makes my 2008 hike just a really long section hike then, huh? I hiked the BMT north from Springer, and picked up the AT at Davenport Gap. I did this to a) avoid the crowds leaving Springer, b) to avoid rehiking a section of trail that I had hiked years earlier, and c) because I could. I found the BMT a rather pleasurable experience, and would recommend others follow the same route.

Although I have physically touched every mile of the AT, I don't understand how you can express this myopic mindset. By perpetuating the Wingfoot dogma, you are encouraging more and more users to stick to a single foot path rather than the network of trails that the visionaries of the AT had in mind. The level of use that the AT sees on a yearly basis, especially early spring in the South, is unsustainable. Although hiking has a rather low impact on the environment, I can point you to numerous places along the way that have been severely impacted by "us". Why not spread out a bit, take a break from the norm?

I know that my eventual thru of the CDT will be unique, and not some cookie cutter hike that thousands before me have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I guess that makes my 2008 hike just a really long section hike then, huh? I hiked the BMT north from Springer, and picked up the AT at Davenport Gap. I did this to a) avoid the crowds leaving Springer, b) to avoid rehiking a section of trail that I had hiked years earlier, and c) because I could. I found the BMT a rather pleasurable experience, and would recommend others follow the same route.
    Now that I've hiked both I wouldn't consider any route but this one.

Although.... for a lot of new hikers leaving Springer who don't even have their gear dialed in I'd hesitate to send them up the BMT as it's a bit more unforgiving than the AT.

Love the BMT.... It's an awesome trail.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Now that I've hiked both I wouldn't consider any route but this one.

Although.... for a lot of new hikers leaving Springer who don't even have their gear dialed in I'd hesitate to send them up the BMT as it's a bit more unforgiving than the AT.

Love the BMT.... It's an awesome trail.
    I wholly agree with you, the BMT is not for the faint of heart. I spent a lot of time all by myself, and the people I did meet were not used to seeing dirty hippy hikers, making hitch-hiking a bit more interesting, but I wouldn't trade that experience in for anything.

If I were to do another Southern Appalachia trip, I would probably look more closely at the Pinhoti and Bartram Trails, possibly even the Mountains to Sea Trail. Except for the local trails around Bozeman, I really don't like to do the same thing more than once, especially if there is a viable alternate route available.

Journal Entries

wow! thats just way to much.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I wholly agree with you, the BMT is not for the faint of heart.
    I loved my BMT trek, but that is some major hyperbole. It is trail where you have to pay a little more attention, have some basic map reading skills, actually use something other than a mouse infested shelter and be OK with truly hiking your own hike (rather than the people who you may fall in with (as can happen on the AT) ). Definitely have to be a little bit more of an individualist.

Faint of heart though?????
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I loved my BMT trek, but that is some major hyperbole. It is trail where you have to pay a little more attention, have some basic map reading skills, actually use something other than a mouse infested shelter and be OK with truly hiking your own hike (rather than the people who you may fall in with (as can happen on the AT) ). Definitely have to be a little bit more of an individualist.

Crossing Slickrock Creek with water up to your waist isn't for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

But I think the larger point is correct - the kind of hiker who typically stops at Neel's Gap to get suggestions for how to lighten their pack probably wouldn't do well on the BMT.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The fords on the PCT were like that, too, in some cases (Evolution Creek comes to mind). Heck, just in Lost Creek Wilderness on a weekend backpack, I've done stream fords up to my waist. Guess, I am saying, a waist high stream ford is challenging..but not overly so.

Granted, I am looking at from the viewpoint of a reasonably experienced backpacker. Definitely not a trail for a new-b hiker..but not an epic THERE BE DRAGONS trek that the phrase 'faint of heart' seems to imply.

Just an opinion anyway. Would not be the first, or last, time my opinion was wrong.

Just hate to scare off people who may lose out on a great experience...

But, yeah..not a trail for a new hiker who quibbles over if following the blue blazes out of an AT shelter violates their thru-hike! (??!?!?!?)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The fords on the PCT were like that, too, in some cases (Evolution Creek comes to mind). Heck, just in Lost Creek Wilderness on a weekend backpack, I've done stream fords up to my waist. Guess, I am saying, a waist high stream ford is challenging..but not overly so.

Granted, I am looking at from the viewpoint of a reasonably experienced backpacker. Definitely not a trail for a new-b hiker..but not an epic THERE BE DRAGONS trek that the phrase 'faint of heart' seems to imply.

Just an opinion anyway. Would not be the first, or last, time my opinion was wrong.

Just hate to scare off people who may lose out on a great experience...

But, yeah..not a trail for a new hiker who quibbles over if following the blue blazes out of an AT shelter violates their thru-hike! (??!?!?!?)
    I'm pretty sure I saw a dragon at Cherrylog Gap...

I know the BMTA would like more people to hike the BMT and are trying to get people on it but I'd hate to see it get crowded. It was really cool to go over a week without seeing another hiker.

Okay, you got me, faint of heart was a little much. Now Evolution Creek, with a swarm of mosquito for that little something extra, that is not for the faint of heart. lol. Gorgeous valley though!

Okay, you got me, faint of heart was a little much. Now Evolution Creek, with a swarm of mosquito for that little something extra, that is not for the faint of heart. lol. Gorgeous valley though!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    I met Peregrine on his thru earlier this year and he started his hike at Table Rock. I think he got a ride back to Springer once he reached the AT via Bartram. Not sure if he's still headed north. Has anyone seen him? He's a fellow Clemson alum.
    Yeah, ran into him at RPH shelter in NY on 7/11, and shot the crap with him for a while. We first started talking cause I saw the tiger paws all over his stuff. He did indeed start at Table Rock, but then went back and started at Springer. We ran into him multiple times over the next few days, and the last sighting was at Wiley shelter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++