WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

iPod solution, for if you are REALLY taxing on your battery juice, or if you don't wanna rely on AC wall plugs.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...a-605c29355bc3

Solar charger: screw it, too heavy. iPod=love mine, but it lacks the radio and easy juicing. Get a nice light MP3 with FM radio that runs on AAA's. They are oldschool and relatively cheap now- and you're gonna need the weather forecast.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I don't drink and have never been part of a 12-step program. But from what I've been told, one of the things that makes it work is the accountability-- just knowing that you're going to a meeting where you have to tell everyone the truth about how long it's been since your last drink, helps you stay away from that temptation.

Maybe you could set something up with one or two friends from your home group, so that you call them and "check in" at pre-arranged times. Sort of like a mini-meeting over the phone.

Thank you all for the information. I'm worried about this myself; I hiked from Harriman, Ny to Harper's Ferry SoBo on '06 and was still using. Now, I will, gods willing, have 16 months sober when I start my thru-hike in March.
    I've been talking to other alcoholics about this... well, admitting my fears, and I plan to bring AA literature with me. I've got an iPhone app called "The AA Companion" which contains the Big Book (second edition, I believe), and plan to look up meetings in trail towns. I'm also bringing a tent, and plan to avoid shelters and maybe even hostels as much as possible.

Default Suggestions

[QUOTE=Hne913;714634]First I want to apologize if some of these have already been answered.. I haven't had time to go through all the forums. I'm sure I'll have a ton of more questions.. but here's a start:

1) those of you bringing electronics.. how are you going to charge them? I was thinking of getting a small lightweight solar charger - and ideas?

2) Jetboils... I have one, use it all the time on hikes.. was told it would be great for the trail.. thoughs?

3) Recovery. Anyone on here in a 12 step program? How did you supplement your program on the trail? I will be bringing an iPod (hence # 1) w/ meetings on it but I guess I am at the whim of the towns that I cross in the ways of finding live meetings.

Congrats on the program. Watched and helped my Dad go through it and it was tough but the best thing for him and us. (little teary eyed). Keep it up and always look toward tomorrow.

Now back to the trail-

Electronics- I love my iPod as well. Solar not worth it. You can try Mophie brand chargers. Charge it in town and good to recharge my iPod 2-3 times on the trail. You can also find chargers that take AAA batteries that work well. Hint- create shorter playlists so if you fall asleep it will eventually turn off. Don't leave repeat on as well.

Jetboil- Love mine. Somewhat light, reliable, and idiot-proof. Has always worked for me even in the rain, snow, sleet. I recently started to use a Trail Designs Caldera Keg-H system that uses alcohol or esbit. Weighs about 6oz and even lighter. It's basically an UL version of the Jetboil; cheaper too. Very relaible, durable, worked in adverse conditions, and fuel is a lot easier to find than canisters.

Hope this helps and keep walking
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

No solar charger...no iPod
    No Jet Boil...alcohol stove...ironic considering the following.

12 Step program:

Bringing a mini BB and a grapevine.
    I've made list of almost all of the meetings between Springer and Harpers Ferry.
    There was an earlier post that said it would be hard to find a meeting on the trail...partially right. There are NO meetings on the trail...however there are a lot of meetings in the trail towns we encounter. If anyone would like a copy of the list as it is so far, drop me a line I'll get a copy out to you as soon as I can
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time
    HF>Kent '07
    Springer>Gatlinburg '11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++