WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

okay, i seen this as the opportunity as my first post to explain my experiences at this shelter.

I've never slept in it overnight, but i've hiked to it at least 12 times. The last time i hiked to it (about late august), i came across a rattler right on the final climb north on the yellow s-bm trail, west mountain...it was definitely a timber rattler...i have a reptile field guide i referenced, and it was definitely a match, black tail and all.

The location it was at, if i can describe it best, is the last little climb up which is surrounded by knee high brush...once you get past that, your right near the shelter. I hadn't seen the rattler at first, i heard him....and i immediately jumped backwards and ran back (my first encounter that close ever).

I can account for many other times, however, that i didn't see anything more than hawks and deer. Now, the shelter i have noticed over the past 2 summers tends to get over swarmed by july with wasps in the tops of the chimneys. This year, it was so bad i couldnt even go near the front of it...last year, i went in the front and next thing you know, tagged right in the neck by one. ever since than, i tend to avoid it summer time.

Since this is your first post, welcome to Whiteblaze. Thanks for the information. I asked the question many years ago, and still haven't made it to this shelter, but from the description and picture, I really do want to get there.

Pringles.

I spent the night here last November, in 2010 on a section hike, solo. Enjoyed a fire at night in one of the two fireplaces, then had awesome views of the city in the morning. Since it was November - no wasps or rattlers to cause concern!

Journal Entries
    Images

Spent the night here this last Saturday night. When I passed through earlier in the day, the shelter was full of a fairly large group cooking on the fire and generally taking over the whole space. When I returned at about 4pm, no one was around. The shelter was very clean, but I slept in a tent. Nice little campground.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some photos from the campsite, and a few not so great photos of the shelter. The light was not on my side at that moment. Feb 18-19, 2012.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is an intermittent spring on the blue blaze trail en route to the West Mountain shelter, maybe 100 yards before the yellow blaze trail veers off to the left. I have almost always been able to get water from it, more reliably than from the stream further down the blue blaze.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++