WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default West Mountain Shelter--NY

I saw in the trail companion that this shelter is supposed to have a resident rattlesnake.

Does this mean that the snake is usually found right at the shelter, or occasionally, or near the shelter, or what?

I'm not a big fan of snakes, and I'm wondering if this is just a shelter I should just walk on by.

Thanks for any info on this.

Pringles

No, that is a great shelter. A resident snake is a good thing. Not only are there not any mice but there are not any disease ridden humans (joke). Since you are too big to eat, the snakes only interest in you is how many mice you attract. In other words it likes you. It's a win win situation. There used to be one in the Priest shelter and the one in Georgia with the cool porch. These are my favorite shelters.

Images

Beth,

Being sixth tenths of a mile off the Trail, most AT thru-hikers skip this shelter completely. I would definately recommend checking it out though. One of the oldest shelters on the Trail, I believe built in the 30's. The ridge walk is a cool one at any time, but especially late in the day/evening. There are some pretty decent views of NYC, sometimes. Enjoy!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    Beth,

Being sixth tenths of a mile off the Trail, most AT thru-hikers skip this shelter completely. I would definately recommend checking it out though. One of the oldest shelters on the Trail, I believe built in the 30's. The ridge walk is a cool one at any time, but especially late in the day/evening. There are some pretty decent views of NYC, sometimes. Enjoy!
    I stayed at the shelter in the summer of 2001, while picking up some trail sections I missed 1993. (Harriman was closed because of fire danger) We had magnificent views of the New York skyline -- and the twin trade center towers. I'm both tempted and repelled by the thought of going back and seeing the new skyline.

Weary

This is a great place. I used to live about 10 miles from this shelter and have slept there over 20 times, I highly recommend checking it out. Keep in mind that there is no water at this shelter, like most Harriman shelters. If you pass the shelter and follow the blue TT trail down into the valley there is a seasonal stream located there. Your best bet is too fill up at Beechy Bottom brook after crossing the Palisades Parkway, however it's a stiff climb up to the ridge and not a good time to be heavy.

I have never seen a snake at West Mtn but I haven't been there in a few years. When you are looking out of the shelter the prominent peak at 10 o'clock is called the Timp and only a mile away, so check it out if you have time. It's a steep climb up from the Timp Pass but worth it.

In May 2002, I was climbing West Mountain and startled by a huge snake's body that raced across the trail. I saw nothing to definitively identify it, but suspected a large black snake. It could have just as easily been a dark timber rattler. I swear it was the circumference of my forearm.

It didn't bother me, and I didn't bother it. I prefer a snake hungry for varmits over the varmits.

Bill....

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    In May 2002, I was climbing West Mountain and startled by a huge snake's body that raced across the trail. I saw nothing to definitively identify it, but suspected a large black snake. It could have just as easily been a dark timber rattler. I swear it was the circumference of my forearm.
    Bill,

It sounds more like a rattler than a black snake based on the circumference. There are a number of rattlesnake dens on that mountain, and rattlers are frequently encountered in that area. I knoow, because I lived about 40 minuutes from that area most of my lfe. Our old friend Rocks & Roots maintained that area of the trail. He still on the AT-L?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by stranger
    . When you are looking out of the shelter the prominent peak at 10 o'clock is called the Timp and only a mile away, so check it out if you have time. It's a steep climb up from the Timp Pass but worth it.
    I was on the Timp a couple of weeks ago and was so close to three hawks soaring off the edge of the cliff, it felt like I could reach out and touch them. They may have been eagles, they seemed a little too big for hawks, but I'm not a bird guy. Cool place.
    I went by West Mountain Shelter on my back from the Timp and when I got to the top of the hill I was greeted with a round of applause A group of 20-25 chinese hikers were having a lunch break at the shelter.
    Made me feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    He still on the AT-L?
    Another benefit of WB!

Bill...

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    It sounds more like a rattler than a black snake based on the circumference...
    I'm familiar with the frequency of rattler sightings in that part of the world. Frankly, I thought it was a rattler, but felt very well to declare it benign as it had no problems to offer me.

I have seen some big black snakes down South in SC. These buggers are able to kill rattlers and other venomous snakes. As they are constrictors, they also have large bodies. I recall someone killing one and tanning its hide back at Camp Skyuka (long gone YMCA camp out of Spartenburg). Folks were so mad at the guy for killing it that he never brought it home with him.

Bill....
    <Damn, talk about topic drift. West Mtn NY to ancient stories of Upstate SC!>

Mostly likely a healthy Black Snake - or other sun-tanned snake. I've bushwacked in Harriman on sunny ledges and had to jump down into a rocky area only to scare out 2 or three sunning racers I didn't see before I jumped. If you want an adreneline rush and pounding heart try jumping into the middle of some snakes. My cousin said he was out west somewhere in the SW when he was jumping down some ledges in a similar way only to plant right in front of a diamondback in a ledge. He was lucky it didn't strike.

I suggest it was a Black Snake because all the rattlers I've seen on West mountain all moved slowly. The mountain isn't infested with snakes. I spent a lot of time up there maintaining and only saw 2 or 3 over decade.

Our committee had a complaint from a woman who said she woke up in West Mountain Shelter with a rattlesnake right next to her. If true, this shows how little the shelter is used.

The view from the shelter of the Hudson Valley and river around Haverstraw, NY is spectacular. The New Jersey Palisades Cliffs are 500 feet high where the horizon view of New York City's lights is located. So you don't get a full city view. The best lights are the emerald green/white string of lights on the George Washington Bridge seen from the shelter.

The sad news for West Mountain Shelter is that the previously rural mountains in the foreground now have houses springing up on them...

Images

Default west mtn. shelter...

I did an overnight at West Mountain Shelter last weekend and there were no signs of any snakes. No sign of any mice either which makes me wonder. Of course it was a bit chilly out for snakes or mice so...

I did not stop at this shelter on my thru but would recommend it. There is a great view with the Hudson river below and NYCity in the far distance.
    Rocks n' Roots is right, there are quite a few lights on the hills below as more and more houses are springing up.
    I went down the hill for water, .25 miles straight down, and I would definitly recommend getting water coming up the AT before hand.
    I had a similar experience to 2xL, we woke up had breakfast and saw about 25 chinese hikers making their way up to the shelter...must be a weekly ritual?!?

Hey, maybe someone could post a photo of West Mountain Shelter with its granite rock walls and orange sunset glinting off the NYC skyline?

It's a modest, simple 3 sided stone shelter - but it's one of the best on the AT...

Edit:

Wow, this site is awesome! Found a photo of West Mountain Shelter. I have a shot to accompany it from 1985 looking the opposite direction from inside the shelter outward towards orange glitter shimmering off the New York City buildings. Here is the Whiteblaze shot:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...sort/1/cat/568
    Last edited by Rocks 'n Roots; 11-01-2004 at 20:00. Reason: Found photo

Images

Default Slightly Off-Topic(s) Post?

I was at West Mountain the night before last.
    1) It seems like the view has grown in since 2004. You have to stand to see NYC from inside the shelter or sit just to the right of the shelter to look through a gap. Am I just getting old and reminiscing about the good old days? I still recommend for spending the night here (but not going for a break.)
    2) Vermin: There were a few black flys that went away at sunset when the wind picked up. I slept in my tent which I had set up. This may be the only time I have not slept in a totally empty shelter. There was a Whip-or-Will that was slightly annoying.
    3) Water: I left almost 2 gallons of water at the shelter with a note asking the last person to pack out the jug. Is this to be encouraged?
    4) Harriman was in one of the last hiker gaps before the NOBO pack arrives. One pair did the 28 miles from Wildcat Shelter to Bear Mt. Bridge without seeing any other thrus.
    5) Saw 4 trail workers and an ATC trailer near one of the road walks. Hopefully, work is progressing on the relocation.
    6) Ranger verified the car accident was cleaned up, and I did not see any evidence of it. Juicy details in another thread.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15584

Rambler

Images

My wife and I spent a night at West Mountain shelter this past winter. It was nice to have the place to ourselves but we were up most of the night due to the sounds of heavy, automatic, gunfire. West Point, and Camp Smith aren't too far away I guess the military was having night manuveurs at one of those places.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    No, that is a great shelter. A resident snake is a good thing. Not only are there not any mice but there are not any disease ridden humans (joke). Since you are too big to eat, the snakes only interest in you is how many mice you attract. In other words it likes you. It's a win win situation. There used to be one in the Priest shelter and the one in Georgia with the cool porch. These are my favorite shelters.
    Right on! This is a lesson we should have learned from the Indian reservations out west. Once those "nasty" rattlers were killed off, the rodent population soared and hantavirus (carried in rodent urine) increased dramatically.

As a lifelong amateur herpetologist, a snake neighbor is always viewed as a welcome feature. They really will take every chance to avoid human contact and are almost never aggressive unless bothered. A good day for me is being able to observe a reptile up close and personal.

And by the way, thanks to all for the reccomendation on this shelter. I'll be sectioning NY in the next month and will make it a must stop.
    Last edited by BigToe; 07-07-2006 at 13:24.
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

Images

snakes are cool,i like watching them neo

Images

The wife and I stayed at West Mountain shelter on 4/1/2007 and I can report no leaks in the roof, plus the floor and walls are in good shape too. We had the place to ourselves on a cool, wet, night.

Images

Hey Falls Down, it sounds like you and Hacky Sack were out for your spring section? Hope all went well! We'll be right "behind you" in mid-April...

Gym Rat, Kelthu'zud and Katie

Images

Nope, we just escaped to Harriman State Park for 5 days of hiking. 2 nights in shelters and 2 nights of stealth camping, but sshhhhhhh don't tell the rangers. We spent one day exploring old iron ore mines in the park, but that's a subject for another time. We'll be doing a new section of AT this August from mid-MA to someplace in VT, depending on how long we are out for.
    I see 2/3 of you have picked up some trail names.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++