WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I was at West Mountain Shelter a few weeks ago. Nice clean shelter but roof has about 3 leaks (rained the first day).

No mice or snakes encountered at the shelter. Did encounter a black snake on west mountain going NOBO to Bear Mountain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    My wife and I spent a night at West Mountain shelter this past winter. It was nice to have the place to ourselves but we were up most of the night due to the sounds of heavy, automatic, gunfire. West Point, and Camp Smith aren't too far away I guess the military was having night manuveurs at one of those places.
    I just hiked Bear Mtn. to NY17 this past 04 to 06 July and throughout the first ten miles of the hike there were constant percussive booms. It did not seem likely to be West Point, as AFAIK they do not have an artillery range. But Camp Smith, yeah. That was probably it. How many shells do they have to shoot off before they get the artillery shooting down? Quite a few, apparently.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I did this section in August of 2007 and stayed the night at West Mountain. Great old stone shelter in the "Sleepy Hollow Rustic" style of Harriman State Park. I especially liked the twin fireplaces at the front corners of the shelter; much better than a firepit and they have cooking shelves too.

There were seven of us in and around the shelter that night, but we didn't hear so much as a gunshot, much less artillery fire. Fog did roll in very early in the morning (3am or so) but the night was clear, so they certainly could have laid down some fire if they'd wanted to. I guess you guys were just lucky enough to get there when night-fire exercises were scheduled.

Here's a picture of the shelter as I woke up to it in the morning. This was taken from about 20' away where I'd hung my hammock. It's how I hit on the term "Sleepy Hollow Rustic" for this kind of shelter architecture.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I live by West Point and trust me they have artillery ranges, and they train day and night. I got rattled once on the beachy bottom trail below west mountain. a very nice looking rattler about 2.5ft long. I do know there is a whippoorwill that has taken over the shelter at night that doesn't shut up! We camped there the Friday before July 4th, and we counted 15 different firework shows going off all the way to NYC.

My favorite shelter but getting trashy. trail magic left in the form of jiffy pop. Lot of food waste laying around, rotting fruits and such Broom head there to sweep. Stayed 1/21/11.
    "A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." --Gilbert Grosvenor

This was the view on Friday at sunset 1/21/2011. This is why it's my favorite shelter.
    "A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." --Gilbert Grosvenor

Images

That's a great photo. Did you hike up in snow shoes? I'm planning on being up there in late March and I'm looking forward to seeing this shelter.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Namaste, we did hike up in snowshoes. Was a cold but fun filled weekend. There is a TR posted at backpacker.com under the Northeast section down at the bottom of the page with like 200 some odd pics.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

This is awesome. I've been to Harriman once so far now and me and a couple friends stayed in the Fingerboard shelter and had a great time. Sometime in April, we're planing on doing another backpacking trip and staying here in the West Mountain. I saw a few posts about water, where's the best/most reliable place to get it. And we're while were there we're planning on checking out doodle town. Any other things anyone recommends seeing. Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrofbob View Post
    This is awesome. I've been to Harriman once so far now and me and a couple friends stayed in the Fingerboard shelter and had a great time. Sometime in April, we're planing on doing another backpacking trip and staying here in the West Mountain. I saw a few posts about water, where's the best/most reliable place to get it. And we're while were there we're planning on checking out doodle town. Any other things anyone recommends seeing. Thanks!
    I hike Harriman all the time. theres plenty of water sources in the park, but has to be treated, filtered, thees a high iron concentration in the water. Lake Tiorati runs right by the AT and is an obviuos source. Theres also a great shelter on the Long Path in NE harriman, I can t remember the name offhand, but great views, and fairly remote.But the view from west Mtn cant be beat. there are a lot of great spots and history in the park. recommend you get the NY=NJ trail conference guide to Harriamn. its great reading and you'll find spots most people dont know exist.

Images

Doodle town?

Images

I'll be doing an overnight hike going from Bear Mountain to William Brien Shelter (passing by West Mountain Shelter) April 9th. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Raul

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Doodle town?
    An abandoned settlement just south of Bear Mountain. Lots of history, plus a couple of old cemetaries. Used to be apple orchards as well, maybe stall are. It's a better route to West Mountain in my opinion.

Maps show a couple of small ponds near the shelter. I hear they are not reliable. There are a couple of stream crossings, depending on your route.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

You can get water at DoodleTown and bring it up to the shelter.
    I forget the name of the trail that goes up to the West Mountain shelter from DT but it's the steepest way to get up there.
    Park near the police station in the big parking lot at Bear Mountain, and register with them.
    Follow the 1777 trail south through DT and then turn onto the trail up to the shelter. Next day take the AT down from West Mountain and over to Bear Mt. which it goes up and over and comes down by the picnic ground near where you parked your car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Beth,

Being sixth tenths of a mile off the Trail, most AT thru-hikers skip this shelter completely. I would definately recommend checking it out though. One of the oldest shelters on the Trail, I believe built in the 30's. The ridge walk is a cool one at any time, but especially late in the day/evening. There are some pretty decent views of NYC, sometimes. Enjoy!
    It was a long walk to the shelter, but the view of the skyline on a clear night is great. There are a few tent sites behind the shelter.

Thanks for all the ideas. Last thing, we are planing on parking in the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area. First, can we? hah. And I'm looking on google maps and there seems to be 2 parking lots. There's the first one thats right off the Palisades sorta near the buildings. Then it looks like there's another if you follow Anthony Wayne Drive. Do we need anything to park here and once we're parked where is the trail to start hiking to the shelter.

Images

I asked a park employee once about parking at Anthony Wayne overnight and he said that you're not supposed to. On the other hand, I know people who have parked there over night with no problems. If you have the Harriman Park maps made by NY/NJ Trail Conference the phone # for the park police is printed on there, call them and get their answer.
    Which lot to park may depend on what the Park Police tell you. Either way they aren't very far apart.

Let's see, if I remember correctly, the AT crosses the Palisades Parkway south of Anthony Wayne. Take one of the trails in Anthony Wayne to the AT and then hike up to the shelter. If you don't already have the maps you can pick them up at the Book Store/Visitor Center in the center median of the parkway near exit 14 or 15.

Images

I was there in late March, really cold, did not see any snakes but there was a skunk limping around walking over our packs, etc..........good night to sleep in a tent!

GREAT view that evening of NYC.

Images

overnight parking is not permitted at the major lots, and there have been some instances of vandalism. You can park adjacent to Harriman at Southfields, tuxedo, or Sloatsburg. Southfields is probably the closest to the AT. Pick yourself up a set of maps, and the NY=NJ trail conference guide "Harriman trails". the maps can show you plenty of legitamte parking spots.

Images

I stayed at this shelter this week and it was a blessing in disguise to arrive in the dark. The NYC skyline was beautiful! The shelter was a little messy, no broom to be found but I was too tired to care. It was freezing out so I spent only a few minutes looking up at the stars and then passed out to sleep. The view was equally spectacular the next morning....a beautiful clear blue sky. I loved the style of this shelter with the double fireplaces.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++