WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default While in your hammock, where do you store your gear?

Quick question: Where do you store your gear while in your hammock?

When using a tent, I normally keep mine split between my tent and the vestibule.

Cheers,
    Key

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Generally what I don't need goes back in my pack and I hand it on one of the trees that I am hanging from. Stuff I may need during the night is in the peapod, hanging from my hiking poles (planted next to me) or in my shoes (under the hammock on the ground).
    Papa John

Images

Default gear storage

Like everything else, the conditions predict the measure you take. If in a hammock, throw a t-bag on it and hang it up. I use large tarps say 9x9 so somtimes I just drop it where it is. If you feel you've got a problem, just get up and fix it.

Images

And I'll be trying the pole setup next time as papa just mentioned.

Images

I usually hammock in warm weather, so there's not much extra gear once I'm in for the night. My pack hangs from the suspension lines against one of the trees, with a pack cover over it. Shoes, cook kit, and any extra clothes go inside the pack. Everything else is inside the hammock with me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Any extra clothes go in a stuff sack inside with me. The backpack is hung at the head of the hammockby the sternum strap and hipbelt.

Images

Yet another reason that I love my Clark NA model. with the six storage pockets I have plenty of room to keep stuff up and off the ground away from many little critters that love to chew. I hang my food bag separately so that I don't become a bear pinata. In my hammock goes anything I want for the night, Headlamp, water, book, journals etc.

Images

I just got a Jacks R Better pack cover that doubles as a hanging storage "peapod" and attaches to my Hennessey (to mainline and side line). Tried it for the first time this weekend and love it. I wouldn't put any weight in it, just clothes, boots, etc. It hangs out of the way of the entrance, yet I can still reach items in it from inside the hammock.

My pack was under the hammock/tarp and up on some sticks so it wouldn't get wet if it rained.

Happy hiking!

TTF

aka Kudzu
    Images

TTF, how'd the JRB gear pack work with the Hennessy? I've looked at it before but what I do for my boots is run a line from the foot suspension line to the side tie-out. This seems to bring the side in more than I'd prefer so I have to put more tension on the tie-out line. Just curious if there's a similar issue with the JRB.

Gear hammock with little stuff clipped to the ridgeline on carabiners.
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Images

I use a homemade hammock with a ridgeline, and made a miniature version of the hammock that hangs on the foot side of center. It's easily reached by sitting up, and holds everything I might need in the middle of the night, as well as my shoes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tobiah View Post
    I use a homemade hammock with a ridgeline, and made a miniature version of the hammock that hangs on the foot side of center. It's easily reached by sitting up, and holds everything I might need in the middle of the night, as well as my shoes.
    Nice idea! What does it weigh, how it is designed, pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Nice idea! What does it weigh, how it is designed, pictures?
    The JRB Gear Hammock:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...ck%20Cover.htm

Images

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

This is the page I got the idea from... you can customize & use your imagination to develop it. I use a ridgeline, meaning I tie one continuous climber's strap from tree-to-tree, and hook the hammock to pre-tied loops in the strap with carabiners hooked through the whipped ends...

Coupla notes: The whipping must be TIGHT! More sag is better for comfort (tying it up too tight makes the sides draw in over you). I used climbers strap for strength, and it was cheaper than Spectra. However, it is significantly heavier. I leave the hammock clipped to the strap, and shove the whole thing in a waterproof stuff sack. Dimensions: about 6"x10"x3"; weight: about 3lbs. The tarp is stuffed in the bottom of my pack where it can fill in the edges which would normally not get used.

The mini-hammock is made the same as the full sized one, without the need for extra strength. I sewed three courdra loops onto the strap so I can hang it on whichever end I end up putting my feet.

++ New Posts ++