WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that would be a great thing
    More suppression of freedom is a "great thing"?
    Moses

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    More suppression of freedom is a "great thing"?
    you're a smoker

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I thought Pennsylvania recently outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants.
    Theres a loophole in those laws. Restaurants and bars can choose to keep smoking as long as no one under 18 is allowed inside for any reason; this includes eating, drinking, or working.

Images

Seriously, why would you want to stay at the Doyle for a month? Wait out an injury? I'd be curious if they even allowed a month stay.

And I agree with Lone Wolf...No smoking in bars is a GREAT THING...allowing my FREEDOM to not smell like an ashtray.

I've never been to the Doyle but hope to get there one day simply to see what it's like.
    Sorry, I don't smoke and I think every infringement on us is a little less freedom. I don't think the way to keep us all safe is to take away incremental pieces of our freedom. I remember the days when I could walk through a gate and get on a plane without walking through any thing like a metal detector, or halfway disrobe, or give up my ability to cut a piece of cheese with my pocket knife, or file my fingernails, or carry my booze onboard, or bring my own food and drink onboard. In fact I remember as a very young man, you could take your unloaded firearm on the plane in a locked bag. If you think giving up your freedoms is making you safer in this world, I think you are deluded.
    I also remember when there were smoking and nonsmoking sections for those who "didn't want to smell like an ashtray". I always felt that was what showers and washing machines were for. Or you could exercise your right to just not walk in.
    We will soon be like the lobsters put in a pot of cold water which is then turned up to boiling. We never realize we were cooked!

Just Sayin.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I spent a day there recovering from food poisoning, very nice people.

Kirby

Kirby, how'd you come down with food poisoning?
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Anyone who can actually answer the OP's question, there's a thread in Straight Forward for it.

Please don't derail this thread by answering the question here.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    hotels, motels, hostels and restaurants come and go and are a dime- a- dozen along the AT. i'm pretty sure the AT would be just fine if it closed
    Only a few establishments along the trail have been there, open to hikers, since the trail has existed, the Doyle being one of them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    Kirby, how'd you come down with food poisoning?
    Ate at a pizza place in town that apparently fails health inspections on a regular basis, I just did not catch this rumor.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin told an amusing if rather morbid tale about a long-term resident at the Doyle, at the 2007 Gathering around the bonfire. (Lone Wolf presumably missed the story or had heard it before.) Anyway, from my own experience and from Jack's story -- I wouldn't personally look forward to an extended stay. It was fine for one night. Kinda like a lot of (or most) other places I've stayed at along the AT.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My vote's with the Beeman - freedom's being redefined a bit at a time. Everytime you get something from the government, the price is you give up a peice of your freedom. (BTW - I quit smoking, do wear seatbelts and helmets whether it's required or not, and drink as much as possible. I love mom and apple pie, support our troops, respect women, and drive fast cars. I fish but don't hunt. Still straight as far as I know, don't wear stupid "support our cause" ribbons.)

When I thru hike I sure will stay there one night at least. Wow, Warren Doyle is a great AT promoter and hiker.

wow I love when my posts turn into a semi political/debate on freedom. I agree with everyone here. freedom isnt free but that doesnt mean it should be taken away. as far as me staying at the doyle, I am semi homeless and have just taken a job working between harrisburg and lebanon driving around a lot. I dont think i want to bother getting an apartment but am still considering it. since staying at the doyle would just mean that much more driving for me. I personally love duncannon, dont ask me why, maybe cause I'm a simple guy and love the simplicity that is the town of duncannon in general. Pat and Vikky are great, and of course trail angel mary is well, an angel. I figured if there were a place i would want to spend my off days from work it would be there. either way i got a pm from vikky and she answered my question in full, I most likely wont stay there and will find a cheap apartment closer to Lancaster since i found I'll be working there more, but you will definatley find me in duncannon once ina while drinking away my time in simple small town bliss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siegeofmalta View Post
    When I thru hike I sure will stay there one night at least. Wow, Warren Doyle is a great AT promoter and hiker.
    No relation, I believe.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    I also remember when there were smoking and nonsmoking sections for those who "didn't want to smell like an ashtray". I always felt that was what showers and washing machines were for.
    Did I miss something or can washing machines wash the lung cancer off our lungs put there by second-hand smoke?
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++