WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Images

Hello fellow 2011 hike mates! I am so excited to see so many are already planning for 2011. I need the two years to save money to cover expenses for things at home while I am hiking. Mean while I can get the right equipment and do some section hikes. I plan to start at Springer in the begining of April. I am a school teacher and our Spring Break is usually the first week in April.

Counting Down the Days!!!

Hi Hikingbear!
    Got your email today, will be responding privately.
    I'm thinking about starting around the first or middle March. My sixth generation FL native blood doesn't like the idea of being cold, but I need to get my son back for the start of swim season. He will be a senior when we get back. This year, as a freshman, he made it to districts. I don't want to jeopordize his scholarship potential. If all else fails, I will send him back for the start of school and finish by myself, then take him back after graduation to finish from where he left off. Does that make sense? In essense I might do the end of the Trail twice.
    I am a birth professional and have planned that I won't take anyone with a guess date of March '11 or later. After my last Feb mom gives birth, we'll be outta here.
    See you Mon!
    healthymom

Well as another year comes to a close (3 more days), it's just that much closer to 2011 and the start of my {Hopeful Thru-Hike}.
    I say hopeful even though if the job materailizes that I'm trying to get, I'll wait until my retirement before I go. Unless of course my financial situation is such that I can afford to quit.
    I've tried for many years to go but something always prevented me from going. Right now I'm closer to going financially than I've ever been.
    So if there are other 2011ers making their plans, please give me a "holler".
    Here's wishing everyone a Happy 2009!

Hey Gorp- Gobbler! Greetings from a fellow southern Hoosier. We (husband, wife, and 3 of 4 children) have been planning our SOBO for a couple of years now. We plan to go in 2011. It has taken that long to make arrangements for work, etc. We have worn out the Hoosier National Forest and Charles Deam wilderness. Where else are you backpacking around here? Our trips to the Smokies are limited to once per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader View Post
    Hey Gorp- Gobbler! Greetings from a fellow southern Hoosier. We (husband, wife, and 3 of 4 children) have been planning our SOBO for a couple of years now. We plan to go in 2011. It has taken that long to make arrangements for work, etc. We have worn out the Hoosier National Forest and Charles Deam wilderness. Where else are you backpacking around here? Our trips to the Smokies are limited to once per year.
    Hi! Rader:

I was up at Deam Wilderness Jan. 1st and hiked the Sycamore Loop Trail. I've done a little of the Knobstone Trail (so far) from Deam Lake up to the Jackson Road Trail Head.
    So much of the KT was effected by Hurricane Ike and I understand they are having trouble getting it opened. It's been a long drawn out process.
    I'd planned a get together for the Indiana WBers back in Nov. and had one person show up.
    I'm planning on maybe a get together sometime in Feb. If this is something you think you and your family would be interested in let me know.
    My 2011 Thru will be NOBO leaving April 1st. (I hope anyway).
    I'm going to try and get out every month for a hike of some distance over the next two years with a lot of short hikes throwed in for good measure.
    Right now I'm out of work and looking real hard.
    Take care and welcome to the Class of 2011.
    Gorp-Gobbler

Default looking forward...

I'm planning on nobo 2011 as well, unless I win the lottery before March.
    Got tons of student loans and such to keep on top of while I'm hiking, so I have to save a lot of D'OH before I can so much as think about this (though, clearly, thinking will have its way with all of us...).
    I just graduated college last spring. I live in NYC so practice hikes are hard. Very little altitude change here, unless you count biking over bridges...or out-of-order elevators

There may be a thread for this already, but does anyone know what their plan is for insurance while hiking? When I leave my job I might not be able to keep my insurance, but regardless, if I had to visit a doctor along the trail I'm guessing the likelihood of their being in my network is nil.
    Do you think it's better to buy a simple catastrophic plan or forgo it altogether (don't think my mother would like that one) and pay for occasional visits to doctors out of pocket?

thanks yall. see you on the long road.

Default Who's Excited?

Fellow 2011ers, we only have 806 days before April 1st.

I'm committed at getting out at least once a month for some hiking for the next two years and if more hikes are doable during this time, then I'll do them too.

Good luck with your plans and give me a shout when you can.

Images

Getting ready here. I know the best way to prepare for hiking is to hike but here in VA Beach, we have pretty much zero elevation changes. So, I've been hitting the local YMCA and working the treadmill at an incline that is about as steep as the machine can go. I plan on hitting the AT here in VA a few times per year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    Getting ready here. I know the best way to prepare for hiking is to hike but here in VA Beach, we have pretty much zero elevation changes. So, I've been hitting the local YMCA and working the treadmill at an incline that is about as steep as the machine can go. I plan on hitting the AT here in VA a few times per year as well.
    Providing how the job market works out, maybe I'll be doing some hiking somewhere on the AT this year so perhaps we can get together if I decide on VA.

I'm planning definitely for 2012 but if I can get the finances in order, I might be joining you guys in 2011.

Default 800 Days To Go

Checking my countdown site I see we have right at 800 Days to go until April 1st. 2011.
    Yipeee!

Images

800 days and counting! Or 19,212 hours.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/...=00&sec=&p0=25

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Way cool.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    800 days and counting! Or 19,212 hours.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/...=00&sec=&p0=25
    This is "cool" as my happycountdown.com/Gorp-Gobbler/2011/AT

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    This is "cool" as my happycountdown.com/Gorp-Gobbler/2011/AT
    The best part about starting early is that I only have 752 days left until I set out from Flagg Mt. Sorry if that sounds like bragging but I'm suffering from cabin fever and my dog refuses to discuss the trail with me anymore. See you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    The best part about starting early is that I only have 752 days left until I set out from Flagg Mt. Sorry if that sounds like bragging but I'm suffering from cabin fever and my dog refuses to discuss the trail with me anymore. See you on the trail.
    Rockhead I may still be interested in going with you at this earlier date. Cabin fever is spreading.

Our 2010 thruhike date is now postponed till 2011. One hiking partner has a job issue and can't get away in 2010, this postponement will allow me to get in better financial shape so I am not too disappointed. Have $$ saved for trip but the need to quit job in 2010 would create $$ issues.
    And I'll have more time to update some gear. I'll do a week AT trip in May and hopefully 5 or so shorter AT trips
    Glad to join the rest of you 2011's
    Nana

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is a 2011 thread under Thru hiker classes also.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

785 days (or less) if I start on Flagg Mt. with Rockhead

780 Days until April 1, 2011

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++