WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Nice to see the "class of 2011" is growing. Welcome to all the new "classmates" Only 657 days left until Flagg Mt.

I am so excited I found this thread!! I was disappointed when I learned I couldn't do a thru-hike in 2010, but the more I think about it the more it will make sense financially, professionally, and personally for me to wait until 2011. And now seeing that others are out there planning for 2011 gets me that much more motivated to continue my research and planning. Trying to convince my sister to join me after she completes grad school in December 2010 (already put the idea in her head). This is great!

GORP-Gobbler -- My hometown is North Vernon!

Quote Originally Posted by piper1483 View Post
    I am so excited I found this thread!! I was disappointed when I learned I couldn't do a thru-hike in 2010, but the more I think about it the more it will make sense financially, professionally, and personally for me to wait until 2011. And now seeing that others are out there planning for 2011 gets me that much more motivated to continue my research and planning. Trying to convince my sister to join me after she completes grad school in December 2010 (already put the idea in her head). This is great!

How cool!! We try to have monthly get togethers and do a trail around here someplace so perhaps you may want to join us sometime.

onesocktwin is from over there in North Vernon too. She and I hiked up in Brown County last Nov.

I've been working on getting the Knobstone Trail done and I think my next section will be with an overnight thrown in.

to the "Class of 2011".

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by piper1483 View Post

We met two sisters thru hiking this year - they were having a ball. Go for it. Wish my sister would, no way...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

Looks like I might have to postpone my 2010 to 2011, Due son's college.

I don't get home to Indiana much anymore. I can't plan to take off work too far in advance (government slave) and usually only make it back to big events like weddings or if I'm lucky Christmas. It's incredibly frustrating and not how I want to live, which is why I am planning on resigning from that job, hiking the AT and going back to school. Gotta have a plan ya know...

I'd say I have my sister about 85% convinced of coming with me. She's doing a semester in Rome this fall and she can only think one adventure at a time so I'm sending her articles and things to think about without being too pushy. But I'm working on it.... hehe

Yup. I tried a thru-hike in 2008 and ended up getting off at Newfound Gap. And now my fiance and I are aiming for lucky 2011!

Just thought I'd bring this thread to the surface again in case there were some more prospective "2011ers" out there.
    Hope to see you on the trail.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Anyone going to Trail Days? I'll be there, with my hubby Skipper.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Anyone going to Trail Days? I'll be there, with my hubby Skipper.
    Maybe next year, if this economy straightens out a little.

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

I'm also planning for a 2011 NOBO on April 1st. Using this year to train and get back into the swing of things, next year for some serious training, and of course the big one, saving cash! Most of my initial gear is already bought, though I'll also be using the time to evaulate what I have and see what I'll need to replace. I'm already going for mostly ultra/lightweight stuff, with a few comforts thrown in, but I'm sure there are areas when I can cut down on weight. Just need to get some serious time in with the gear first to see what I can stand giving up.

If anyone is interested in doing any day hikes or 3-4 day overnighters this season or next and you're in the PA/NJ area, let me know! I have ones planned already this year for Old Loggers Path in PA, parts of the Batona trail in NJ, and Thunder Swamp Trail once I get a bit more in shape. Been using an easy 3 mile loop trail in Parvin State Park as my initial training sessions, try to do it at least once a week, if not 2-3 times depending on time availability.

Can't wait to meet some of you and get out on the trail! Looking forward to it with all my heart and soul! 2011 can't come fast enough!
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Quote Originally Posted by JokerJersey View Post
    I'm also planning for a 2011 NOBO on April 1st. Using this year to train and get back into the swing of things, next year for some serious training, and of course the big one, saving cash! Most of my initial gear is already bought, though I'll also be using the time to evaulate what I have and see what I'll need to replace. I'm already going for mostly ultra/lightweight stuff, with a few comforts thrown in, but I'm sure there are areas when I can cut down on weight. Just need to get some serious time in with the gear first to see what I can stand giving up.

If anyone is interested in doing any day hikes or 3-4 day overnighters this season or next and you're in the PA/NJ area, let me know! I have ones planned already this year for Old Loggers Path in PA, parts of the Batona trail in NJ, and Thunder Swamp Trail once I get a bit more in shape. Been using an easy 3 mile loop trail in Parvin State Park as my initial training sessions, try to do it at least once a week, if not 2-3 times depending on time availability.

Can't wait to meet some of you and get out on the trail! Looking forward to it with all my heart and soul! 2011 can't come fast enough!
    I'm with you on your last two sentences Joker Jersey. Been doing several trails here in Indiana and would like to get out on the AT for a section hike sometime.
    The job situation and economy is bleak, but one can forget all of that for a while when he's out hiking.

Images

Default 2011 nobo

Hey Everyone!

I also plan to thru hike in 2011. Im thinking I'll start in March just to make sure in done in time to start college in the fall. I am graduating a semester early and can't wait! I hope time flies by, but not too fast. I still got a lot of money to earn.

-kat

Default Ready for 2011 it can not come soon enough

Looking for people to chat and blog with about our long wait until we finally get out to the trail. Personally I will be waiting until I finish college to go. Any prospective thru-hikers from Va area looking for a hiking partner or just someone to bounce ideas off let me know.

City Slickr

Hopefully my Thru-Hike will still be on for "011". I go tomorrow (05/26/09) for a job interview.

Default good luck

Good luck on the job interview. Is it a permanent, career-oriented sort of job that you'll be able to walk asway from for 6 months? Or a temp position that will end just in time to go and leave you with $ in your pocket for the trip?
    Dee
    healthymom

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    Good luck on the job interview. Is it a permanent, career-oriented sort of job that you'll be able to walk asway from for 6 months? Or a temp position that will end just in time to go and leave you with $ in your pocket for the trip?
    Dee
    healthymom
    It is a job that I can quit unless they want to give me a 6 month leave. I hope to make enough $$$ to get out of debt and have the $$$ for the trip.

BTW: The interview went well and I should know by Friday (05/29/09) if I got the job.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    It is a job that I can quit unless they want to give me a 6 month leave. I hope to make enough $$$ to get out of debt and have the $$$ for the trip.

BTW: The interview went well and I should know by Friday (05/29/09) if I got the job.
    Good Luck with the interview, hope everything works out for you.

Images

i plan on starting in feb-march 2011. figured id take a year to prep, conditon, not much needed, and save some extra money. i was going to start in 2010 but i get out of the marines a bit late and dont want to rush the prep. get out in march 010. i will be alone, interested in linking up with someone else. let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post

I'm told now I should know in about two weeks. I'm packing things up, either to move to this new job, or I'll probably be evicted . I hope it's the former.

Hiking takes you mind off of the worries and cares around you. So I recommend a hike to anyone that is burden down. (That will be $50.00 please).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++