WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The addiction is stronger

Ok, so I have been back for a week. Im looking for a job and have probably found a good one. I just cant stop thinking about hiking though. I miss it so much. I havent been home yet and am wondering what it will be like when I start working. I love the AT but know that its only a weekend thing for me now. Im drooling over the PCT. It is so different and seems more challenging. Just want to share my thoughts with my fellow hikers. I am even more addicted to this hiking business. Im glad that after 6 months of hiking, the fire is still burning, actually buring even brighter. I have been on WB more than ever also. Kinda pathetic

i never got over that, but it was easier after about 3 months. (that's when i stopped having to sleep in the backyard..)

Images

over it? not me...i think miss janet said it best when she called me (and people like me) "her spring tulips"...every spring we show up...the trail needs young people to embrace it as previous generations have and keep up the spirit that really makes the trail great...forget about getting over it...can't hike, do some magic...the trail is an amazing place...

Images

Your AT thru-hike will ALWAYS be with you my friend. As you level out into the working world, you will be reminded of the AT in the smell of strong pine, a song from your year, the sound of the wind, and I find, when you do good deeds for others. I get it every time when I work out - with no surprise, a weight vest and an old pair of Lekis. That fire is a joy and a blessing. Congratulations and welcome to the oh so few who know that feeling.

Happy hiking!

TTF

doyal with jack and dude and a northbounder and some southbounders commin in were shutteling later. chaco,...call me if your staying at my house and ill tell you where the secret entrance is. you can use it anyway you like. eat anything. use anything. hump anywhere. jacks breakfast this morn was so freakin great it put your wonderful dinner you made us in vernon church look meager even though it was good. jack outdid himself and created a renaissance in the egg world.
    matthewski

more folks commin in every hour didn't know there were that many southbounders still heading this way. might have to get jack to cook breakfast all over again sorry chaco but he really is a mcuh better cook than you are maybe you should try a new profession or try out for dancing with the stars or something but for now jack owns the kitcjen don't be mad at me.
    matthewski

It doesn't surprise me to hear so many hikers combining a love for being outdoors in nature with some higher power. If U believe the story in Genesis, and I do, someone, who I call God, didn't place us in a cubicle, car, square house, on a bus, or in or on something manmade of glass, steel, concrete or asphalt. God placed us in a garden. I believe it is in everyone's heart to go to that place where we live in harmony with ourselves, others, our environment, and yes, even God. Somehow, hiking is a vehicle that puts us in a place where we were meant to function best. It is the call of our spirits to return to that place.

Hiking in nature, as on the AT, let's us remove much of that 'static' that clouds us from seeing who we really are and what we really desire. By 'static' I don't me avoiding responsibility, commitment. or hard work. I mean greed, fear, pride, selfishness, anger, materialism, consumerism, etc. It gives us the time to resolve issues and come full circle. Hiking in nature hints at the promise that we will somehow be different, more complete, better. It lets us live simpler less cluttered lives. Hiking will overwelmingly demonstrate that there is still good in this world. The best way I can describe completing a long hike is to imagine something so pure, innocent, healthy, thought provoking, inspirational, cleansing, and overcoming that you can't but help to be changed forever. It will make you aware of something or someone greater than yourself.

Perhaps, it is not just an addiction or being pathetic but it is your inner self desiring for you to stay or get back to that place where we were meant to be. I think I know how you feel! Indeed, it is a joy and a blessing! You will NEVER be the same!

You set a goal, you made it. Was this the highpoint of your life or another step toward bigger things? At your young age you should look to higher, harder, goals and use your experience on the AT to help you achieve them. Congratulations and best wishes for continuing success.

Images

dang dogwood...preach on...the trail is so splendid...even in my everyday now, i see things differently, have different priorities and expect different things not only of myself, but others...there is certainly nothing like the trail and i'm thankful to have accomplished it...but like nick says, there's always bigger and better to strive for!

i may just get another thru in before i conquer those other things

Chaco,
    If you think it is hard now....you are not even close to being ready to handle March!!!!!!!!!

geek

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It doesn't surprise me to hear so many hikers combining a love for being outdoors in nature with some higher power. If U believe the story in Genesis, and I do, someone, who I call God, didn't place us in a cubicle, car, square house, on a bus, or in or on something manmade of glass, steel, concrete or asphalt. God placed us in a garden. I believe it is in everyone's heart to go to that place where we live in harmony with ourselves, others, our environment, and yes, even God. Somehow, hiking is a vehicle that puts us in a place where we were meant to function best. It is the call of our spirits to return to that place.

Hiking in nature, as on the AT, let's us remove much of that 'static' that clouds us from seeing who we really are and what we really desire. By 'static' I don't me avoiding responsibility, commitment. or hard work. I mean greed, fear, pride, selfishness, anger, materialism, consumerism, etc. It gives us the time to resolve issues and come full circle. Hiking in nature hints at the promise that we will somehow be different, more complete, better. It lets us live simpler less cluttered lives. Hiking will overwelmingly demonstrate that there is still good in this world. The best way I can describe completing a long hike is to imagine something so pure, innocent, healthy, thought provoking, inspirational, cleansing, and overcoming that you can't but help to be changed forever. It will make you aware of something or someone greater than yourself.

Perhaps, it is not just an addiction or being pathetic but it is your inner self desiring for you to stay or get back to that place where we were meant to be. I think I know how you feel! Indeed, it is a joy and a blessing! You will NEVER be the same!

wow. very inspiring. i tend to agree...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    Ok, so I have been back for a week. Im looking for a job and have probably found a good one. I just cant stop thinking about hiking though. I miss it so much. I havent been home yet and am wondering what it will be like when I start working. I love the AT but know that its only a weekend thing for me now. Im drooling over the PCT. It is so different and seems more challenging. Just want to share my thoughts with my fellow hikers. I am even more addicted to this hiking business. Im glad that after 6 months of hiking, the fire is still burning, actually buring even brighter. I have been on WB more than ever also. Kinda pathetic
    ===============================

Totally normal man. Been over 5 years for me and hardly a day goes by when I don't have some thought of the trail. Probably doesn't help that I have trail photos hanging all over at work.

Just kick back and give it time to settle in.

All the best on your re-entry ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Chaco,
    If you think it is hard now....you are not even close to being ready to handle March!!!!!!!!!

geek
    Did feel a connection to something much bigger than me. Felt the closness to nature I was hoping for. Def dont know what will happen in March. Wak will have to keep me grounded from going out but then again, we see her past record. Ill be doing lotta magic and a big feed next year. Cant wait to give back too.

Default Fessin' up......

Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold Post #6 above against Matty since he didn't actually write it....that was me, as Matty left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyle and I got on-line pretending to write in Matty-style which was a rather interesting exercise. Your cooking is actually pretty good and it's much better than your dancing, so don't hold anything against poor Matty. Moral of story: When you sign OFF of Whiteblaze on a public space, do it right, or there will be consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold Post #6 above against Matty since he didn't actually write it....that was me, as Matty left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyle and I got on-line pretending to write in Matty-style which was a rather interesting exercise. Your cooking is actually pretty good and it's much better than your dancing, so don't hold anything against poor Matty. Moral of story: When you sign OFF of Whiteblaze on a public space, do it right, or there will be consequences.
    Dont make me challenge you old man!

Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold post #14 above against Jack since he didn't actually write it....that was me,as Jack left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyal and I got on-line pretending to write in Jack-style which was a rather interesting exercise. You cooking is actually pretty horrible but your dancing is just so HOT, HOT, HOT! so don't hold anything against poor Jack. Moral of the story:When you sign off whiteblaze ANYWHERE, there will be consequences.

geek

Sorry Jack....just couldn't resist!!!

Images

Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold post #14 above against Jack since he didn't actually write it....that was me,as Jack left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyal and I got on-line pretending to write in Jack-style which was a rather interesting exercise. You cooking is actually pretty horrible but your dancing is just so HOT, HOT, HOT! so don't hold anything against poor Jack. Moral of the story:When you sign off whiteblaze ANYWHERE, there will be consequences.

geek

That is too funny!!!

Geek are you at the Doyle really????

Images

geek

Youre talking about Chaco's dancing being hot, hot hot?? whats that song you used to *ahem* "dance" too???????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    Did feel a connection to something much bigger than me. Felt the closness to nature I was hoping for. Def dont know what will happen in March. Wak will have to keep me grounded from going out but then again, we see her past record. Ill be doing lotta magic and a big feed next year. Cant wait to give back too.
    yeah, my track record for being grounded isn't the best around, that's for sure!!! We'll see what happens with me next march too!!

Images

In response to what "Dogwood" said: I so whole heartedly agree with you with every word you said. Its so true. I feel so alive when I'm in the woods. I feel one with nature and God. I feel as though its where I belong. I get such a high when I'm out there. I feel inspired. It makes me want to give up the everyday life of materialism and greed, selfishness etc. that you eluded too. Theres something to be said for simplicity. Less is definitely more. Kudos to you for the inspired words. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++