WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    Ok, so I have been back for a week. Im looking for a job and have probably found a good one. I just cant stop thinking about hiking though. I miss it so much. I havent been home yet and am wondering what it will be like when I start working. I love the AT but know that its only a weekend thing for me now. Im drooling over the PCT. It is so different and seems more challenging. Just want to share my thoughts with my fellow hikers. I am even more addicted to this hiking business. Im glad that after 6 months of hiking, the fire is still burning, actually buring even brighter. I have been on WB more than ever also. Kinda pathetic
    it's about choices. you make it a lifestyle or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    Youre talking about Chaco's dancing being hot, hot hot?? whats that song you used to *ahem* "dance" too???????
    No, I'm not at the Doyal...I'm at work.

Dancing?....Dancing?......Dancing?.....Who said anything about my dancing? I just stay at work, working my a$$ off, you know...."BALLS TO THE WALLS".

geek

Geez, Wak, Chaco dances like Springsteen, i.e not very well. It's kind of an inborn genetic thing but I can't go into it since we can't talk politics here anymore.

But, no. Chaco can't dance. And this won't change.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    No, I'm not at the Doyal...I'm at work.

Dancing?....Dancing?......Dancing?.....Who said anything about my dancing? I just stay at work, working my a$$ off, you know...."BALLS TO THE WALLS".

geek
    haha!!! yeah, that's the song...i couldnt remember it but i could remember the story though!

Images

I am not sure who wrote what in this thread anymore, but it is really entertaining.

Hey Chaco like they all say you probably won't get over it. After I finish the AT I'll be on the the CDT. The western trail are really beautiful. The hiking is actually physically easier in the parts I have done. (average grade 17%)

Kanga- I wonder how many hikers sleep in their lawns after a thru-hike. I tried it on my first night back from 800 miles and my landlord kicked me off the lawn. Oh well.

Jack, Dude, Matty - Hi and hope your having a good time at the Doyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Geez, Wak, Chaco dances like Springsteen, i.e not very well. It's kind of an inborn genetic thing but I can't go into it since we can't talk politics here anymore.

But, no. Chaco can't dance. And this won't change.
    Ill bet watching you dance is like watching someone have a seizure

Chaco,

I guess its kind of opposite for me, I summited 3 days before I had to be at work, and have been working non-stop for a week and a half now. It is such a different world that the trail seems distant, almost as if it were a year ago. It is almost surreal, as if the whole thing is a memory. I still have the desire to be hiking, but this is tempered by the fact that my knees are shot and just walking down or up stairs is painful. I will sadly probably scrap my plans to do some fall hiking because of that.

I wish I had had some time to absorb the amazing journey, but life goes on and the economy doesn't appear to be waiting so I'm glad I started work. However, I have been keeping track of all the hikers who summited this week after waiting out the closure, and really wish I were there for that big party. It made me really homesick for the trail, reading all the names of people in Millinocket. Looks like most of the good friends I made on the trail were in that crowd, I bet that was one awesome time up on top.

Anyways, I'm envious of you being able to relax and savor the accomplishment. Like some of the other posters I think I will relish getting Springer fever every march, and at the same time having nothing to prove I will be able to enjoy hiking more.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i never got over that, but it was easier after about 3 months. (that's when i stopped having to sleep in the backyard..)

Great.... now did u chose to go to the backyard or did your wife put you out there b/c u wouldn't quit talking about the trail?? lol

Anyone seen or heard from Thor?

Images

Chaco, sorry to say, once you're addicted, you don't get over it. October comes and you miss the trail. March comes and you dream of hiking with the Spring thrus. July comes and you want to head to Maine. And every walk you take anywhere, makes you think of the trail. I try to do 4-6 miles almost every day, and I spend way too much time on WB or TJ when I'm not walking. Lucky for me I'm retired!

In 1990 I slept outside from Oct.6 to Dec.20...couldn't sleep indoors if you paid me. Being around people everyday back home slowly brought me indoors.

OTOH, after hiking 1,000 miles of the PCT, I left the trail at 11,000 and 18 hours later was on the ambulance treating a stroke pt. Talk about an eye opener!

geek

Default I'm feelin' it too

It's now been a little over a week since I finished my thruhike. I'm also looking for a new job. I haven't left New England yet. It was a beautiful day here, and I felt like hiking instead of looking for work. I already miss being out there. I still haven't adjusted to sleeping on a bed inside. But I'm trying.

Chaco, it was great to meet you and Wak this year. Best of luck to you both. If you're planning to do magic in the NC/TN area, send me a PM. I'll be glad to join you. I'll probably end up back in TN eventually.

White Lightning

Hiking is natural.
    Missing hiking is natural.
    Nature is SUPERnatural.
    ".....we've got to get ourselves back to the garden" (Crosby, Stills, and Nash).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++