WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm the undisputed king of blue-blazing
    BJ might argue with you on that one.............

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    The old AT south into Monson. It is a long road walk, but I like it. You get to see Monson pond, the old train station that is falling apart, take the cement bridge over Big Wilson, and whats got to be one of the best views of Barren Mountain. The locals love seeing people out there doing it too. Some folks in a truck slowed down and took our picture, and the guy at the maple syrup farm got us a drink from his spring and had a nice long talk. There is some kind of cross country ski park out there and those people cheered us on. Over near the cement bridge there was a place called "Trail Magic Massage Therapy". Back in the old days the folks down that road got to see hikers all the time and it looked like they loved it, but they threw the trail out in the woods and they don't get to see us anymore.

that one sounds good!!!

you can also blue blaze into Monson coming north, there's a sign on the trail where the blue blaze intersects it, it follows an old road bed for a short distance then spits you out onto a well maintained dirt road which you take right up to Shaw's (its the road Shaw's is on). it goes past part of Lake Hebron with lots of little cottages on it. it was a nice easy walk right into Monson!

If you are really serious about blue blazes, then you'll need to suck it up and carry an extra 8 ounces in your pack and take the ATC Trail Guides with maps. Between the maps and the commentary you'll know where quite a few blue blazes go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    BJ might argue with you on that one.............
    who's BJ?

Images

don't worry wolf, no BJ is better than you!

As in "dessert" not "desert"

i'm the undisputed king of blue-blazing
    So tell him about the good ones.

there are too many to list and i only type with one finger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    On the AT/LT just north of Story Spring Shelter (south of Stratton Mtn), when the trail crosses USFS 71, turn left on the road and walk down to where it T's at the Kelly Stand Rd. Turn right and cross the bridge, then there is a parking area on your left and the trail head for the Stratton Pond Trail. Back when Stratton Mtn was owned by International Paper and they wouldn't let the trail go over the summit, this was the AT / LT route. It's a nice, easy 4 miles into Stratton Pond. From Stratton Pond take the Lye Brook Trail west into the Lye Brook Wilderness Area and to Bourne Pond. At Bourne Pond turn north on the Branch Pond Trail which in several miles will take you past William Douglas Shelter and intersect with the AT / LT .9 miles south of Prospect Rock. This all was the route of the At / LT when I first hiked it, back in the mid-70s. The trails in the Lye Brook Wilderness are little used and only lightly maintained. When I was up there a couple weekends ago part of the Branch Pond Trail had been flooded by a new beaver dam (allenf.blogspot.com).
    While you're doing this checkout the falls in the Lye Brook wilderness, beautiful!

As in "dessert" not "desert"

All this time I just thought you were a man of few words, and now I find out you're a Sgt. Wojohowitz.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sobos can see migrating hawks in any number of places, but I am thinking a blue blaze to some of the most popular viewing spots, like at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, might be worthwhile.

Birders will be happy to share their binoculars and share everything they know. If you ask them.

Images

One at a time, same way to Maine
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Some good blue blazes to wander in SNP - White Oak Canyon, Old Rag, even walking the Skyline drive to Hogback overlook which has a commanding view rather than the AT that follows in the woods. In fact, many of the overlooks on the SKyline Drvie offer great views not to be missed and a short distance off the AT.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Sobos can see migrating hawks in any number of places, but I am thinking a blue blaze to some of the most popular viewing spots, like at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, might be worthwhile.

Birders will be happy to share their binoculars and share everything they know. If you ask them.
    Good places to observe raptors on the AT in Pennsylvania include Baer Rocks and Bake Oven Knob, but the best place is Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's North Lookout which is accessed by their Skyline Trail or from Hawk Mountain Road.

Go to Hiking at Hawk Mountain for more information or to see today's count visit their home page.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I don't often Blue Blaze, but sometimes Blues are better than the AT or were the AT and have been changed. I also like the jeep trail to the top of Wesser (old AT), it will get your heart pumping. Also, great palce to tent on observation platform. Near Dennis Cove, Coon Den Falls trail (again old AT), caution, this is VERY steep and should not be used in bad weather, but nice falls. My favorite - Bemmis Stream Trail in ME, follows rocky stream (much better than going over Bemmis Mt. when it it is foggy).
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

wow, this has gotten a lot of responses...thanks...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Locations in Pennsylvania on the AT include Baer Rocks and Bake Oven Knob. Will add more information about HMS later today.
    great spots, but they aren't blue blazes.

Default Waterfalls-Blue Blaze

I am short goal oriented, due to my age, so I hike to waterfalls. My favorites are off the AT due to it's well maintained condition.

There are at least six in the Dennis Cove area of TN. Well worth slipping off the AT.

Caution: Waterfalls are addictive.

Default blue blazing

when you get to the whites.. from Mt Guyot take the bond cliff trail south to Mt Bond for one of the finest views anywhere in the whites. Better than any view on the AT in that area.

Blue blazing is better in my book than yellow blazing cause you are still walking.

Hard core true blue thru hikers DON"T SLACK PACK!

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post

you got that right

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    when you get to the whites.. from Mt Guyot take the bond cliff trail south to Mt Bond for one of the finest views anywhere in the whites. Better than any view on the AT in that area.

Blue blazing is better in my book than yellow blazing cause you are still walking.

David
    Completely agree-that view is awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++