WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Gender-Specific Forums

In many cases I've noticed that the Woman's forum contained questions which could be addressed by either sex with equal effectiveness.
    I feel uncomfortable reading the Woman's forum threads, like I'm not welcome there, when, in reality, I think that some women assume that only other women can understand the way they think and feel.
    I would like to help, and even comfort, all hikers in need, but feel, in some cases that the Woman's forum can be a medium which further divides men and women and fosters a feeling of alienation, or at least helplessness, among some of us men who are of the gentler (but no less manly ) persuasion.

Am I alone?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Am I alone?
    yeah probably

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yeah probably
    figures....................
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

...men who are of the gentler (but no less manly ) persuasion.

Am I alone?
    You are very alone!

To both of the above posters. How is it (in what sense is it ) that I am alone?
    I made a number of statements in the post.
    Does it not bother other male members here to peruse the Woman's forum? Should it?
    I would like to think that we (as a society) have progressed to the point that we don't NEED gender-specific (either way) forums. Having been married for over 2-1/2 decades, I think I've heard a whole lot about women (mostly from my wife). If I had to rely on conversations in the workplace, most of my knowledge would have been from the man's point of view (or what I've read in books). I've been kept in the dark long ENOUGH!!!!!!!! .
    Please be gentle with me. (Giggles).

To both of the above posters. How is it (in what sense is it ) that I am alone?
    I made a number of statements in the post.
    Does it not bother other male members here to peruse the Woman's forum? Should it?
    it don't bug me at all. i don't have anything to add to period discussions and such

Understood.

It's that pink background...

Men should have some respect and stay out of the women's forum.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    is there a peeper problem?

I agree in principal, however:

1) If we aren't all that different, why do they need a private gossip room (if that's what it is)?

2) Why don't men get (or seem to feel the need for) their own private forum?

Are we afraid that the girls will sneak a peek to see how we really are?
    Are the girls afraid of the same?

Coming from one who is tired of hearing "It's just not fair"...................

Who determines what's fair?

Are fair and equal the same thing?

Can we be equal yet different?

Are we embarassed about our differences?

Let them have their space. There's a fundamental difference between the sexes; can't draw comparisons with race/ethnicity... I like that difference, you might even say I'm obsessed with the opposite sex, but some discussions I don't even want to be around - not just the biological stuff - just the way they approach things is completely foreign to me.

Images

I could often make recommendations on women's footwear. I've been bootfitting women for over 7 years. But if they post it to the women's forum, I leave it alone. It's just that simple. If they want a male response, I figure they'll post it to General Gear Talk.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

..2) Why don't men get (or seem to feel the need for) their own private forum?
    The way men are, I'd bet most women think that we act like this whole site is a men's forum, thus they feel the need to set up their own forum to get away from us.

1) If we aren't all that different, why do they need a private gossip room (if that's what it is)?

tinker, i'll try to be easy on you:
    do you have a period? do you use tampons or pads?
    do you have breasts that give milk?
    do you have to squat to pee?
    do your hormones make your ankles swell and your back ache?

no? well, women want a place to talk about that without smartass input from a bunch of fellas that have no clue what they're talking about. i don't care if they're married or not. until you have a vagina, you really can't know what it can sometimes be like for a woman on the trail.
    also, some women are embarrassed about men reading that sort of stuff about them.

so, while some female issues can really be enhanced by a male point of view, there is much that a woman doesn't really need your help on. in fact, the women's forum should probably be viewable only by women for it to have it's intended effect since men obviously can't help themselves from getting on there even when they're not supposed to.

on the other hand, i sincerely doubt if any of the women on this site would give a good gosh darn if you guys decided to have an only-men forum where you talk about ball sweat/chafing, crotch itch, and penis fungus.

and just so you are fully aware, LIFE is not fair.

Images

Does it not bother other male members here to peruse the Woman's forum?
    Doesn't bother me a bit because I never go in that forum. It's for women and I ain't one.

You strike me as insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I could often make recommendations on women's footwear. I've been bootfitting women for over 7 years. But if they post it to the women's forum, I leave it alone. It's just that simple. If they want a male response, I figure they'll post it to General Gear Talk.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. If we don't hear the question, we CAN'T help.

You strike me as insecure.
    Thanks, Sigmund.

You strike me as rude.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. If we don't hear the question, we CAN'T help.
    If they want your help, they can post in the general forum. Have some respect!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++