WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Just give the ladies that are asking their segregated/protected forum so they can discuss all those issues that give us puritanical Americans the heebie-jeebies. It's embarrassing that the sexes still can't get over their differences and discuss them together in a rational manner. I always peruse the women's only forum, not sure if I have posted or not, and have found nothing, not thing one, that would require segregation from men.

I understand it can be a matter of comfortability in discussing certain issues with women-only, but as a matter of right? Hardly. But give the segregated, protected forum to those offended, anyway. That way, I don't have to be embarrassed by the sorry puritanical state of gender-relations in this country.

This comes down to one thing: Some people just like to complain. And gender-based complaints are some of the hardest to refute, political correctness and all. And usually you can get a bunch of men eager to show how sensitive they are to aid in the charge. It's just ridiculous. Women get periods. Wear underwear and sometimes skirts. Some take birth control. Others like men. Some have problems with their hiking partners. Some like cheeseburgers. Others beer. And so on....

Asking a man not to post when he has something constructive to offer is counter-productive and silly. Just segregate and be done with it.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post

Asking a man not to post when he has something constructive to offer is counter-productive and silly. Just segregate and be done with it.
    Some women aren't comfortable talking about things with men. For example, what do men know about yeast infections, how birth control affects their hike, or how well a diva cup works?

Any general questions a woman asks about hiking can go in the general forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Some women aren't comfortable talking about things with men. For example, what do men know about yeast infections, how birth control affects their hike, or how well a diva cup works?

Any general questions a woman asks about hiking can go in the general forums.
    Totally agree. My disconernation comes from the fact that somehow having men be able to view these conversations is somehow objectionable. Is there a man out there who doesn't know that women get yeast infections, take birth control or handle their cycles differently? I don't think so. It's the notion that segregating these conversations will somehow allow freer flow of information from woman to woman. How else will men become more sensitive to these issues if we blocked from learning about them. The diva cup sounds like it would rock if I were a female long-distance hiker. It seems a great practical solution to practical issue that arises for female hikers. I have learned tons by reading these forums. Maybe they should be read-only for men, but again, the idea that woman are so delicate that they can't discuss the issues that arise for them makes me embarrassed for the state of gender-relations in this country. In my opinion, until women feel free to discuss what is important to them freely and openly, as equal members of society, and not behind closed doors, we as a people have a long way to go in recognizing their value. The women-only forum seems to be going back to the days of the menstrual huts. But hey, if that is what they want, I say do it. It just seems a step backwards.
    Yahtzee

Images

Just an observation; purely anedoctal and one that leads me to no conclusion: It appears more men have participated in this thread than the very women whose forum is being discussed. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasgirl View Post
    Just an observation; purely anedoctal and one that leads me to no conclusion: It appears more men have participated in this thread than the very women whose forum is being discussed. Interesting.
    Not surprising that men would react more to being prohibited from a forum based on the stereotype that we are insensitive and/or ignorant. Some of us take offense to that.

Why not prohibit access to women-only forums to those who actually make insensitive or ignorant comments in those forums and leave them open for the rest of us who find "the other" interesting and who may have a constructive comment or suggestion to make every once in a while. I trust the mods at Whiteblaze to make a rational decision on the respectfulness of posts by me and my fellow man in women's-only forums.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    For example, what do men know about yeast infections, how birth control affects their hike, or how well a diva cup works?
    a good male gynecological engineer knows the answers

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    tinker, i'll try to be easy on you:
    This is a basic difference between men and women. You go easy on Tinker and answer with kindness and consideration. A man might answer differently and launch into a sarcastic biting response.

tinker, i'll try to be easy on you:
    do you have a period? do you use tampons or pads?
    do you have breasts that give milk?
    do you have to squat to pee?
    do your hormones make your ankles swell and your back ache?

no? well, women want a place to talk about that without smartass input from a bunch of fellas that have no clue what they're talking about. i don't care if they're married or not. until you have a vagina, you really can't know what it can sometimes be like for a woman on the trail.
    also, some women are embarrassed about men reading that sort of stuff about them.

so, while some female issues can really be enhanced by a male point of view, there is much that a woman doesn't really need your help on. in fact, the women's forum should probably be viewable only by women for it to have it's intended effect since men obviously can't help themselves from getting on there even when they're not supposed to.

on the other hand, i sincerely doubt if any of the women on this site would give a good gosh darn if you guys decided to have an only-men forum where you talk about ball sweat/chafing, crotch itch, and penis fungus.

and just so you are fully aware, LIFE is not fair.
    Frosty

Images

Why not prohibit access to women-only forums to those who actually make insensitive or ignorant comments in those forums and leave them open for the rest of us who find "the other" interesting and who may have a constructive comment or suggestion to make every once in a while. I trust the mods at Whiteblaze to make a rational decision on the respectfulness of posts by me and my fellow man in women's-only forums.
    This is the actual rule and practice.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

What kanga said.

Also, if you needed any more reason, the following is a pretty good one ..

Originally Posted by MOWGLI
    You strike me as insecure.
    Thanks, Sigmund.

You strike me as rude.

i sincerely doubt if any of the women on this site would give a good gosh darn if you guys decided to have an only-men forum where you talk about ball sweat/chafing, crotch itch, and penis fungus.
    Damn, I didn't know there was even such a thing as penis fungus. I have never gone on the women's forums and now I'm very very glad.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post

OK your secret is safe with me
    This is the BIGGEST lie on White Blaze. NO secret is safe with you.

Totally agree. My disconernation comes from the fact that somehow having men be able to view these conversations is somehow objectionable. Is there a man out there who doesn't know that women get yeast infections, take birth control or handle their cycles differently? I don't think so. It's the notion that segregating these conversations will somehow allow freer flow of information from woman to woman. How else will men become more sensitive to these issues if we blocked from learning about them. The diva cup sounds like it would rock if I were a female long-distance hiker. It seems a great practical solution to practical issue that arises for female hikers. I have learned tons by reading these forums. Maybe they should be read-only for men, but again, the idea that woman are so delicate that they can't discuss the issues that arise for them makes me embarrassed for the state of gender-relations in this country. In my opinion, until women feel free to discuss what is important to them freely and openly, as equal members of society, and not behind closed doors, we as a people have a long way to go in recognizing their value. The women-only forum seems to be going back to the days of the menstrual huts. But hey, if that is what they want, I say do it. It just seems a step backwards.
    Women do get embarassed about things. Many of us were raised in the US and there is a taboo about talking about certain female topics. Most women don't want to talk about or discuss how to handle some issues if they know a guy is going to respond. It took me 3 different sites to find out what to do if I got my period on a long distance hike and if cotton only tampons were recycleable in a mulching privy......and I got snide remarks from some guys at one site and still won't ever post there again.

I appreciate the womens only forum for 2 main reasons.....

First, I can post something I wouldn't discuss with my husband (Bearpaw) or another guy as he probably wouldn't have an answer.

Second...I don't have to worry about some smartass making an offhand comment about something he knows nothing about and then continuing to insult me in thread. It doesn't matter that the thread is moderated. The comment was there, it was read and it still hits home.

I don't mind guys posting on the womens forum if they have something important to add...like fitting a boot. I do mind a guy adding his two sense to something he knows nothing about.
    Gads...the smell....nope, it's not Bearpaw...just another skunk checking out the camp.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    This is the BIGGEST lie on White Blaze. NO secret is safe with you.
    what kinda of underwear was it???
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Precision or Accuracy . . .

Various threads in the Female Hiking forums such as Opinions on the Gregory Deva have been useful since I'm researching a backpack for my wife. As long as it's a public forum I'll glean as much information from it (and post if I have a question) as I would any other and ignore the rest.

--Mike.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++