WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    It's not just that. Many women are simply more comfortable chatting and sharing and asking questions with OTHER WOMEN. Many women are uncomfortable opening up with men. And there are issues that are unique to women, such as periods and whatnot.

I liked Marta's idea from the other thread to simply request that a thread be moved if you think it belongs more in the general forum.

And yes, your comment over there was inappropriate.
    My comment was poorly worded. I didn't think about how it would be taken. Tongue-in-cheek doesn't work very well for me.

From now on, I am restricting myself from the Women's only forum.
    I don't fully understand, but I have a better grasp of the necessity of a private forum for women. I'll just have to let it be.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    It’s called political correctness, and it’s here to stay.
    Nonsense.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Why in the world would I want to discuss "penis fungus" with my male friends?

I think the idea of making the girls forum a subscription forum is a good one; oftentimes I'll click on a "new post" and not realize that it is in the girls forum until I get there.

Impossible to keep a guy out, though, who wants to eavesdrop on the conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

Impossible to keep a guy out, though, who wants to eavesdrop on the conversations.
    yep, plus there are posers everywhere. it's not like the send key can detect who is doing the entering

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the idea of making the girls forum a subscription forum is a good one; oftentimes I'll click on a "new post" and not realize that it is in the girls forum until I get there.
    Good solution.

It came from a man, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Good solution.

It came from a man, right?
    yep, apparently we are well known for no self control

Images

So Mods. Make it Subscription only and be done. You know where the IPS are coming from so you know if there are any posers when they request to join.
    Problem solved.
    What's left? Lean-to discussions with Homer????? Yikes. Maybe I will go back to the women's forum and talk about men problems.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    Starting from “Today’s Posts” some thread titles aren’t obvious; so I’ve blundered into the female forum, too. The last column shows which forum, if I remember to check on that; I wish the titles could be flagged somehow, or the “Forum” column displayed closer to the titles.
    There's already a complete change of forum display when you click on a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    I wish the recent threads box for each women's forum post was color coded so I wouldn't waste time opening it. If women want either a man's or a gender neutral perspective, post where everyone can answer.
    They tend to do that. However most members generally aren't perfect when they select a forum to post in. Occasionally the women do ask questions in there that appear to be general in nature. But then again, sometimes general questions are asked in the wrong specific forum. Moderators from time to time do move threads to the appropriate locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    yep, plus there are posers everywhere. it's not like the send key can detect who is doing the entering
    Yes, so we work on the honor system rather than waste a lot of effort setting up a subscription forum that has no way to verify gender.

IPs are not color coded.

It's always the men who have a problem with this.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Women are special.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post

It's always the men who have a problem with this.
    Gator, It does Grind me a bit when I see what I consider foolish questions like What's up with men on the trail", "what about men on the trail?" the whole pinkblazing situation, and then that whackjob from NJ (NOt you Hick, ANother one ) that was hiking barefoot and creating her own problems on the board.
    But I will act like an adult, or at least try to act at a level not less than middle school, but it will be hard ("that's what sh....") Nope there I go again...
    OK What can I say..... I will try to maintain common courtesy ....

Now about those massholes that we keep seeing.......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    I doubt I'd have any interest at all in reading about your jock itch. There are plenty of other forums on here to read.
    You should at least read about it once or twice. Can be caused by a really happy to grow type of yeast. I figure you can see the connection.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    So Mods. Make it Subscription only and be done. You know where the IPS are coming from so you know if there are any posers when they request to join.
    Problem solved.
    Not necessarily. My wife is a WB member also. We use the same computer most of the time we're logged on. So my IP would show up for both of us. One male, one female. No posers.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    ooo baby, just the boys?
    ok now im scared. scratch that idea...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Not necessarily. My wife is a WB member also. We use the same computer most of the time we're logged on. So my IP would show up for both of us. One male, one female. No posers.
    Great point. If I get caught in the womann's forum again, I'll tell them it was my wife Maybe Marta will have some sympathy for my ass!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    ... Maybe Marta will have some sympathy for my ass!!!!
    Never!

But the points y'all are raising are the pretty much the same ones that were brought up when the practicality of making some sort of women-only-can-read-it forum came up.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default give it a rest...

Seeing it was my reply in the "So Depressed" thread that triggered this almost totally useless thread, I do have a comment to make.

The post I made in that thread where the OP was very upset at not being able to go on a scheduled hike with her dad because he had an leg injury said: "Excuse me for replying in this thread but I'd suggest the 2 of you still go but change the focus of the trip. You could still go on a trip and basically car-camp and visit areas along the trail that interests the two of you that you might not get to see if you were just hiking. If the goal is to spend quality time with your dad, this might be a good compromise, given the circumstances. Good luck."

My post violated no TOS, was respectful, and no one was offended by it. I believe the above is the only post I've ever made in any of the Female Hiking Forum threads, and like others here, I clicked on the title before I saw where it was posted. I have to agree, after reading some of the absolutely idiotic posts in this thread, there is a good reason to keep some men out of the Female Hiking Forum.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    ok now im scared. scratch that idea...
    whatca scared of ??? might be too exciting?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I've fought for a women's only forum (where only women can see it) several times with admin and other mods and it's always fallen on deaf ears. Rather than fight "city hall" I asked Alligator to have my users name "opt out" so I never see the forum. Same with hammocks and dogs. I have no interest, out of sight, out of mind.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Have you thought about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. If we don't hear the question, we CAN'T help.
    Generally I stay away from the women's forum for many of the reasons stated on this thread. However on rare occasions I do find an item on the women's forum for which I may have a relevant observation. In such cases I just drop a private message to the individual which allows me to be helpful without disrupting forum's intended purpose. I have found that such an approach is graciously received and accomplishes the intended purpose of being helpful to another hiker.
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++