WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Clark N. American ?

i think i have decided to buy the clark n. american

any need to waterproof the tarp? or seal the hammock itself?

is the weather shield a windblock only or is that waterproof also?

any recomended modifications that you guys have tried i would like to hear as well.

thanks -matt

Are there seams on that tarp? I don't recall. If so, seal them. The weather shield is sil but it's mostly for blocking wind and adding warmth. Of course, that will lead to condensation like in a tent.

I hate the Clark stock tarp. Almost anything else would work better. I like having a ridgeline so instead of hanging the bungies to the trees I put a ridgeline from head tree to foot tree and clip the bungies on it. Of course, if your bugnet or wether shielf is closed that won't do you any good.

There are three (or four?) tiny tie out points on each side of the Clark. You'll get a lot less shoulder squeeze if you use the ones near the head.

[/IMG]
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Goofed the pic.

Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Images

I have really not done anything to mod my Clark set up. I don't think that I have ever used the side tie outs. I did go and get a different trap so that i had something large enough to cook under and store gear as well as wait out a storm if i care to with out being so confined. I went with one of the larger sil traps sold at Campmor cheap route to go.

I will say that I am really glad I went with the Clark NA. I have hung in it as low as 9* so far and been fine. the weather shield does a lot to help keep in the heat. I also keep a bunch of gallon Ziplock bags that I can inflate and stuff into the pockets if I want that extra insulation and don't have enough gear stuffed in there. I have only done this a few times in most cases I find that a good bag and the inflatable pad that I have are enough to keep me comfortable.

Welcome to the club.

seeing as this will be my 1st hammock i will use it a bit before i decide about the tarp.
    i watched a good video on youtube on the set up and some features, of the clark NA thanks to cavediver2. not sure if he is on here or hammock forums but thanks if you are reading this.

good idea with using ziploc bags, i'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I have really not done anything to mod my Clark set up. I don't think that I have ever used the side tie outs. I did go and get a different trap so that i had something large enough to cook under and store gear as well as wait out a storm if i care to with out being so confined. I went with one of the larger sil traps sold at Campmor cheap route to go.

I will say that I am really glad I went with the Clark NA. I have hung in it as low as 9* so far and been fine. the weather shield does a lot to help keep in the heat. I also keep a bunch of gallon Ziplock bags that I can inflate and stuff into the pockets if I want that extra insulation and don't have enough gear stuffed in there. I have only done this a few times in most cases I find that a good bag and the inflatable pad that I have are enough to keep me comfortable.

Welcome to the club.
    I like the Zip Lock idea. I just use a small piece of closed cell foam for insulation and it's done well. It's about 24" long and folded in half. I can put in the pocket that holds the back support for my ULA Crescent pack without taking up any extra room in the pack itself. Yes, the weather shield keeps the wind out and the warm air in. I've never had a condensation problem with it.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

++ New Posts ++