WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 09, lite or not

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

Dont include your food and water in a "dry list" just makes it easier to figure out. Those "refillable things" ie. food water fuel etc, can change day to day depending on conditions resupplies, town stops, etc.

Looks like a good list, but you need some rope i think.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Default Getting To Katahdin

As some have already stated don't overly rely on gear to get U there; it's U who has to haul the gear to the end not the other way around.
    That being said, I started the AT in 06 with an Osprey Aether 75(05 version). I like the pack. It hauls 45-55 lbs comfortably, but as I learned how to reduce my gear wt. and bulk I found the pack just too big for my type of thru hiking on the AT. I think U will find out the same thing. I switched to a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and was thoroughly happy. Big difference in wt. and cubes between the two packs so understand that up front. I now use the ULA Conduit as my goto thru-hiking pack on such trails as the AT, PCT, and CDT. GREAT pack for me! DO adhere to the 30 lbs. or less wt. recommendation with this pack! I consider the Marmot Pounder primarily a summer bag, although U could increase its temp range at cold times by adding a liner, bivy, sleeping in additional clothes, or U just have ice in your veins. I think U will find yourself chilly in that bag if U use it by itself in the Contrail for the whole thru-hike. Gloves and hat would help. R your pants convertibles or R U planning on hiking in pants the whole way? If it's pants plan on being hot during the summer. U make no mention of the wt. of what is on your feet? That's definitely a factor in how fast U can go. There R definitely lighter wt. stoves on the market or U could make one yourself. U don't need a Rambo style knife or a knife with 3 screwdrivers and a corkscrew. Get a lighter one. U could save wt. by ditching the moleskin until U needed it and just carrying 2 oz of camp soap or none at all(I know I'm sounding ruthless, just consider what I'm saying). Unless U have a thing for maps and off trail orienteering the AT is well marked; U don't absolutely need a compass. Get a lighter wt. water bottle. Unless U have some allergy to the sun skip the sunscreen; the AT isn't called the green tunnel for nothing. We don't all have shaved heads like GloWorm. Haiku is right. Water and food wt. R not usually added into base wt. And, damn it, cut off the handle of that toothbrush; it will weigh U down. Now, just go out and ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Yes and no. Minor injury + willpower might work, but if it leads to a serious injury, game's over. Agree that "attitude" makes all the difference, but chronic discomfort kills attitude real quick.

I know from 30+ yrs. on the AT that lighter load = more pleasant hike. Most old pharts I know that are still hiking have lightened up.

Just sayin'.
    Seen far more people start with a heavy pack and sometimes finish with a heavy pack than I have seen start and finish with light weight.
    Usually (in my experience) I have seen alot of heavy pack toting hikers pare the weight during the hike to a more acceptable level and finish successfully but it seems that the ultralight hikers that i've met have a far greater injury rate than the heavy wt. hikers. The hikers with weight can't go fast and slowly hike into better condition. I've seen way too many ultralighters brag about how fast they can go right off the start only to be gone before Hot Springs due to injuies.
    95% of AT success is mental...take what makes your hike comfortable, you will automatically trim the weight as you go to an acceptable weight. If you're not a happy hiker, you will probably not find a successful thru hike!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    gear weight and selection has nothing to do with you making it to katahdin
    If he's leaving in May and wants to be there before September, he'll be much better off traveling light.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Don't Be Too Concerned About Weight...

Whatever your pack ends up being one of the best ways to get your body ready for hiking is to put on your pack and walk around doing lunges. Start out by doing 100 steps (50 per leg) and work your way up. Another good thing is to strengthen the calves (Put feet half way on a step and lift up - like standing on your tip-toes).

(Don't wait until you get your gear list finalized, start doing it now, if it's too much with a pack on then just do lunges without the pack).

I would consider the Caldera Keg instead of the Jetboil.. With the weight savings I would carry a few extra clothes to wear in camp on the wet days...

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    i guess my point of this thread is i know its me thats walking the trail, not my gear, but without it i have a sneaking suspision that the trip would be slightly less comfortable without it all seriously though, what worked for you: lighter gear or bombproof/faster/comfort?
    I started the AT with a base weight of 8 lbs, and I finished with a base weight of 12 lbs. I just switched some things up to make myself more comfortable. Sure, you can say that hiking with a light pack is more comfortable, since you do it almost every moment of every day, but in the end it's the whole experience that you have to look at. Anyway, I might be one of the only AT hikers ever to add weight on purpose instead of throw stuff away on the trail to lighten the load.

I hiked the entire PCT with a 12-14 lb base weight (depending on gear switches for different regions and temperatures).

I started the CDT with a 16 lb base weight, and ended with a 20 lb base weight (including a Martin backpacker guitar). The luxuries just kept adding up....

I think I'll go back to the 12ish base weight for the future. That's a good, comfortable point.

Haiku.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++