WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

there are other brands but i used frontline for fleas &ticks. either oral or a liquid you place between the shoulderblades onto the dogs skin. it coats the entire surface of the dogs skin and gets into the bloodstream. the ticks will not attach and they want to get the hell out of there!as fast as possible! yeah a tick could of fell off my dog onto someone else in a shelter perhaps but lets be fair a tick could fall off another hiker and end up on you also.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingff77 View Post
    And this is going to get me where?
    Troll on along..........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    Dogs and kids are a lot alike in the owners & parents mind. All dog owners just like parents think their kids or dogs are perfectly well behaved. No one will be able to tell them different, they are not open to it.

But the truth viewed from a distance view is somewhat different.

Dogs do invade the space of others, they do beg for food (food that had to be carried on someone’s back and cooked with stoves and fuel that also had to be carried.)

You are also walking in the woods, only a naïve person would say their dog would not pickup a few flees in this situation.
    Jack hit the nail on the head.

Depends on the owner/dog. One of my dogs (Erwin - who I adopted while thru-hiking) is a perfect angel, doesnt beg, he will sit and watch for someone to offer but he doesnt go up to you and beg.

Hudson is a little more of a begger and wants to be around people. He is getting older and growing out of this but I still take care to keep him away from other hikers and I will tent with him untill he outgrows this.

He will not climb over people in shelter - unless a person calls him, then its the fault of the hiker calling him - not the dog.

And man the smell of fellow hikers is way worse then the few flees a dog MIGHT (I never had a problem with anyones dog ever bringing flees into a shelter) bring in. I, as many other owners, wash my dog in town and Erwin/Hudson get the flee treatment. 90% of dogs on the trail are cleaner then hikers.

Not to say my dogs dont anoy me every now and then or get into trouble here and there (hell I cause more of a problem on the trail then my dogs do) but they are less of a problem then the drunk hikers and those that mark up shelters and trees with names.

October 2006 – (“It was a dark and stormy night…”) Heavy rain from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am. Hiker shows up with a wet, muddy dog at Pecks Corner Shelter in SMNP at 11:00 PM. Fourteen shelter inhabitants are instantly awakened to the dog whining, shaking and walking around in a circle. The wet dog scent permeated the shelter. The dog’s owner explains that no one ever told him that pets were not allowed on the trail in SMNP. The dog growled hourly at real or imaginary prey in the woods. No one slept with the exception of the dog’s owner.

How would you have handled this situation?

1. The dog shouldn't have been in the Park in the first place.
    2. Dog or no dog, showing up at a shelter in the middle of the night is rude.
    3. The guy should've been told to tent.

Oh, and if he was a jerk about this, I'd have borrowed someone's phone, reported his location and description to Rangers or Park police, and hopefully, would have got him cited or arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

Oh, and if he was a jerk about this, I'd have borrowed someone's phone, reported his location and description to Rangers or Park police, and hopefully, would have got him cited or arrested.
    i believe you answered his question jack, how about those apples.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billy231 View Post
    October 2006 – (“It was a dark and stormy night…”) Heavy rain from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am. Hiker shows up with a wet, muddy dog at Pecks Corner Shelter in SMNP at 11:00 PM. Fourteen shelter inhabitants are instantly awakened to the dog whining, shaking and walking around in a circle. The wet dog scent permeated the shelter. The dog’s owner explains that no one ever told him that pets were not allowed on the trail in SMNP. The dog growled hourly at real or imaginary prey in the woods. No one slept with the exception of the dog’s owner.

How would you have handled this situation?
    He shouldve never come into the shelter that late, with or without the dog, its rude.

Wouldve told him he needs to tent. People like him give the rest of us dog owners a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    He shouldve never come into the shelter that late, with or without the dog, its rude.

Wouldve told him he needs to tent. People like him give the rest of us dog owners a bad name.
    I thought that in GSMNP 1- no dogs, 2-must sleep in a shelter (unless a thru hiker) Kinda catch 22.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    I thought that in GSMNP 1- no dogs, 2-must sleep in a shelter (unless a thru hiker) Kinda catch 22.
    if the shelter is full,your allowed to tent next to the shelter. same as the SNP i could be wrong

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Well yea the no dog thing is out the window since he already had it there but he is allowed to tent by the shelter, when its full.

Images

Dogs are definitely not allowed on the AT in the Smoky's. There are kennels that will take care of your dog, then drop it off to you on the opposite side of the park. That's the only way I know of to hike the AT through that area without violating park regulations.

As wrongway said this hiker is giving the rest of a bad rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

Where's that using a cell phone in a shelter thread???? Just foolin'

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Dogs are definitely not allowed on the AT in the Smoky's. There are kennels that will take care of your dog, then drop it off to you on the opposite side of the park. That's the only way I know of to hike the AT through that area without violating park regulations.

As wrongway said this hiker is giving the rest of a bad rep.
    Unless the owner and the dog went to those special classes for those people who get all the best parking places. On the other hand... since the hand book doesn't specify a penalty the more bothered folks could make dog-kabobs and resolve the problem.

Geezer

He will not climb over people in shelter - unless a person calls him, then its the fault of the hiker calling him - not the dog.
    No,it is the fault of the owner for bringng a dog into the shelter and not having the dog leashed. I'm in a shelter and your dog clombs all over my sleeping bag to get to someone who may or may not have called him. My bag is muddy and it is not the dog's fault. It is the fault of the inconsiderate, ignorant owner who thinks his dog ...
    is a perfect angel
    In your mind he is, to everyone else he is a pest and doesn't belong in shelters. You see, the question isn't whether he bothers YOU, it is a question of whether he bothers OTHERS. And he does.

I love dogs, had a beautiful Golden for 14 years, but she never slept in a shelter, and I kept her on a leash. I knew she was gentle, but strangers did not know that, and some people are afraid of dogs for good reason.

Look that this and other threads. Most people have a dog horror storyand no one who does not own the wet, drooling muddy dog wants it in the shelter, and dog owners are in total denial about it. "MY dog would never do that." It will always be an issue as long as dog owners won'town up to the fact that no one likes their dogs as much as they do, and that their dog is NOT a perfect angel.

If you can't be a considerate dog owner and keep your dog out of shelters and leashed in a camp where others are camping, the leave the dogs at home.

Not to say my dogs dont anoy me every now and then or get into trouble here and there (hell I cause more of a problem on the trail then my dogs do) but they are less of a problem then the drunk hikers and those that mark up shelters and trees with names.
    So it is okay for your dogs to annoy people because someone carved a name in a shelter? What kind of logic is that. "Well, officer, yes I robbed that person, but it's okay because murderers are worse than robbers."

The are a number of rude and inconsiderate hikers out there, but I have yet to meet any ruder and less considerate than dog owners.
    Frosty

Default shelters?

Seriously...unless there are strong special considerations dogs shouldn't be in shelters...period. If you bring a dog just plan on tenting and abiding by the restrictions of the trail.

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">6. Automatic "stay" before entering shelters. Other hikers may like dogs but don't like wet dogs getting them and their gear wet or walked on. I avoid shelters as a rule. I carry a tent. Winter has always slept inside the tent with me. I sleep more at ease knowing that Winter is secure in the tent with me. Stealth camping is the best.

wow more consern for dogs in the shelters than there was for the convicted sex offender that was in shelters, thru hiking a couple years ago.

Default Dogs and Shelters

I never met a sex offender but I've known lot's of dogs.

I have 4 dogs,I like them more than most people I know. That being said,I would never burden anyone with them. They stay at home,always. I miss them dearly when I am out,but I also know what a pain in the butt they would be for others. They beg,they lick their***********************,they piss on things,etc. .

I also trust them more than most people I know,but I could not be sure they would not charge another dog,skunk,person....so they stay home.

Being a dog lover,I give owners the benefit of the doubt...well kinda.
    When fido comes running at me on the trail and they say...do not worry, they won't bite ya.My reply... Thats good,I won't kill em with my hiking stick then.Some get the point...

Quote Originally Posted by bathtub boy View Post
    wow more consern for dogs in the shelters than there was for the convicted sex offender that was in shelters, thru hiking a couple years ago.
    Huh? Can you elaborate? This is news to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bathtub boy

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Huh? Can you elaborate? This is news to me.
    Last edited by Alligator; 09-27-2008 at 22:27. Reason: No politics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++