WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 30 Degree bag reasonable?

Could one expect to do the entire trail with a 30 degree bag?
    I have a 30 degree bag that I'm very comfortable with and would like to use, so long as it won't get to cold.

I used a 30* the entire way this year, Started in March, ended in early September. There may be a few cold days at the beginning, but grin and bear it and you'll come out ok. Good luck to you!
    Will I ever get to where I am going? If I do, will I know when I am there?

Rainsuits, extra clothes, and especially gloves and a hat can really extend the bag's rating on those especially cold nights.

Quote Originally Posted by OTdarters View Post
    I have a 30 degree bag that I'm very comfortable with and would like to use, so long as it won't get to cold.
    if you sleep in a tent it's totally doable

Shouldn't be a problem. If you get cold, put on your clothes before slipping in the bag.
    Yahtzee

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd be somewhere else if the temp drops to single digits which it certainly can in March (we hit 8 degrees in mid March, but we were in Franlkin then). You're taking a risk, IMO. After April 15 should be safe though.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

You'll (probably) freeze your azz off.

If I was to it again I would start with a 0 degree bag...man it gets cold out there

I hit single digit temps several times in the beginning with my 30* bag and was fine with some extra layers on. It all depends on how warm or cold of a sleeper you are. It can be done and it can be done comfortably.
    Will I ever get to where I am going? If I do, will I know when I am there?

30 degree bag.... probably OK if you're starting after mid-March or so. You'll have a few cold nights but you'll survive. Helps to have an extra layer or two for those situations. In summer, the bag will be too hot, unless you can unzip it and use it as a quilt.

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

I started on the first of March, and used the Marmot Hydrogen - 30° bag. I was extremely cold for a couple of nights, but for the most part I was fine. I didn't have much in the way of extra clothes, so I shivered for a few nights. In the mid-Atlantic states and southern New England I wished I had much lighter bag - it was miserable! Especially in NJ-MA when the mosquitoes were out and I had to choose between zipping up the bag and sweating or leaving it open and getting eaten alive. Either get a lighter bag or get a good bug bivy!

If you have money to spare, get a 15° bag to start, and then switch to a 30° after Pearisburg (don't listen to anyone who says to switch after Damascus; wait until Pearisburg, believe me). Otherwise you'll be fine as long as you have a few extra clothes to wear in the bag, or someone who doesn't mind you snuggling against for the cold nights.

Haiku.

Images

I'm cold just thinking about it...

Images

Depends on your tolerance to cold. I sure as hell wouldn't do it.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

it will get cold. i would take a 15 or a 20 degree

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if you sleep in a tent it's totally doable

yep,shelter are for babies and candy-ss hikersneo

Aw come on! Who put THAT in my tent? Ziggy Trek's Avatar
    Images

Experiment over night this winter. See what works for you. There are too many variables to get accurate advice on this.
    January through February I only take a 30 degree bag because I am already carrying extra layers of clothing. Can't recall ever having a problem (even in blustery cold). Yet others with me have brought their Zeros along and were miserably cold.
    It's extremely difficult to define "warm sleeper" vs. "cold sleeper". What does a 30 degree rating mean between ten different makes of bags and their users?
    "I drank the silence of God from a spring in the woods." -- Georg Trakl

Journal Entries
    Images

Default 30 degree bag

Well, if you already have a 30 degree bag and not a lot of cash to spend, take it. You will probably have some uncomfortable nights but you will survive O.K.
    I did my thru with a 20 degree baq. started mid April. Had some cold nights, one was 8 degrees, and I was still cold.
    Just another hardship of a thru-hike that you have to learn to deal with.
    Grampie-N->2001

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Besides wearing extra clothes to bed, you can also extend your bag's temperature range with a liner (like this silk liner) or a lightweight bivy sack/sleeping bag cover (like this one).

Don't know where u live, but if you are planning for next year, practice sleep this winter in known temps that will challenge the bag. That way you will know what you need if it gets really cold early in the hike, or if it isn't workable, period. Layers will help, but I would doubt any 30 degree bag would work if a night is say 10, even with layers. Depends when you are planning on starting as to how many of those nights you would see also.

I think you need warmer. I switched from a 20 degree synthetic (older bag) to a 15 degree down, and it made a huge comfort difference for me. Hefty investment, but wouldn't trade it in for anything. If you don't want to spend the money to switch, how about a silk liner for your 30 degree bag, then you can send one or the other home in the summer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++