WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Amicola Falls information, starting the trail

I am wantig some information and insite to starting the trail and what would be the best place to stay before starting a week long section hike of the trail?
    I will be driving from Florida about a 10hour drive and I want to stay over night at the Falls before starting out the next day. Any advice? Please!!
    ZEUS307
    "Sleep well an night, safe and sound, knowing that there are Warriors willing to go into harms way, do violence, to protect your country and your way of life" U.S. ARMY RANGERS

You should call before coming up, I think many of these places are seasonal http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=hostels.

There's a shelter (no services) at Amicalola Falls State park, free to stay at, listed in the above link.

Images

There is a Hostel in Dahlonega along with several Motels. In the Park itself offers cabins and campsites as well as a Lodge. The most economical is to stay at the Trail Shelter located right behind the Visitor Center.

Check one of the trail guides. Thru-Hiker Companion, Thru-Hiker Handbook, or Appalachian Pages. They have info on costs and phone numbers. The Companion is available online for quick reference:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by zeus307 View Post
    I am wantig some information and insite to starting the trail and what would be the best place to stay before starting a week long section hike of the trail?
    I will be driving from Florida about a 10hour drive and I want to stay over night at the Falls before starting out the next day. Any advice? Please!!
    treat yourself to the lodge. they have buffet meals too http://www.gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/

As LW pointed out, the Lodge is nice. There is a shelter just behind the visitor center if you're lookin' for cheap.

It's also a safe and cheap place to leave your car.

The very best place to stay while in Dahlonega, Ga is the Hiker Hostel. Check out www.hikerhostel.com Josh and Leigh cannot be beat. They provide shuttle to all your locations in that area for slackpacking and pickup at the Bus depot and Atlanta airport. They will provide a shuttle to either beginning point on the AT, Springer Mtn. or Amicola Approach.
    J D Cool

Stay and park at the Hiker Hostel just north of Dahlonega. Josh and Leigh,who run the place, are hikers and Have the best hostel on the trail. They can get you to and from where you want to be. I stayed at the hostel last weekend while I worked with the folks from the GATC on a section of the trail. Josh makes a great breakfast just before you head out hiking ... man his blueberry pancakes are the bomb. Swamp Dawg

Images

I vote for the LOdge. Their peak season is in th fall with all the leave watchers.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCool1 View Post
    The very best place to stay while in Dahlonega, Ga is the Hiker Hostel. Check out www.hikerhostel.com Josh and Leigh cannot be beat. They provide shuttle to all your locations in that area for slackpacking and pickup at the Bus depot and Atlanta airport. They will provide a shuttle to either beginning point on the AT, Springer Mtn. or Amicola Approach.
    he said he wants to stay in the park

Quote Originally Posted by swamp dawg View Post
    Stay and park at the Hiker Hostel just north of Dahlonega. Josh and Leigh,who run the place, are hikers and Have the best hostel on the trail. They can get you to and from where you want to be. I stayed at the hostel last weekend while I worked with the folks from the GATC on a section of the trail. Josh makes a great breakfast just before you head out hiking ... man his blueberry pancakes are the bomb. Swamp Dawg
    he said he wants to stay in the park

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Yes, hit the breakfast buffet, one of, if not the, best breakfast buffet you will find.

Kirby

Default Stay in the park

I plan on staying in the shelter in the park which is right behind the visitors center and very close to the approach trail.

Images

There is also the Len Foote Hike Inn in Amicalola State Park:

http://hike-inn.com/default.asp

++ New Posts ++