WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: four sisters?

Meltdown

Default four sisters?

does anyone know what happened to the four sisters?
    they were right behind me out of stratton/caratunk. i had assumed they summited a couple days after me, but i heard from someone that they quit in monson because of the rain.
    anybody have the real story?

meltdown

I also heard that they bowed out in Monson, although I have no idea if this is true. I did not see them in any registers after Monson either when I summited Sept. 6th. I;d like to know as well what happened to them.
    Will I ever get to where I am going? If I do, will I know when I am there?

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Barefoot said they got off the trail in Monson.
    Equipment issues and the rain is what he said.

Images

Yea, heard they dropped out. Was hard to take in, after all they went through and just kept on trucking in the first half.

Tough ladies, was surprized to hear they dropped out.

Am I reading this right? Someone walked all of the way to Monson and got off of the trail due to gear issues and rain? I have a hard time having any sympathy. That doesn't seem to add up? We had some pretty harsh weather on the trail this spring.?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason of the Woods View Post
    Am I reading this right? Someone walked all of the way to Monson and got off of the trail due to gear issues and rain? I have a hard time having any sympathy. That doesn't seem to add up? We had some pretty harsh weather on the trail this spring.?

There was a lot of very heavy rain in New England this year for several weeks. For days and days on end. Some really vicious storms too. Reading trail journals, a couple people during that time period mentioned that their spirits were low. I could easily see where you just could get to a point where you're exhausted both physically and mentally. A lot of people burn out by the time they hit New England. Some keep going, some don't. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it (hiking almost 2,000 consecutive miles, that is).

Also... not trying to be argumentative here. Just so we are clear on that. But I feel like some sympathy is definitely acceptable. And the weather was really awful for a while.

Default Four sisters alive and kicking...

I met them in Rangeley and have since talked with them since they got back. They did get off in Monson for several reasons, weather, gear, and they all had deadlines to be back home by. They decided to get off so they wouldn't rush the end. They wanted the last part of the trail to be wonderful...i.e. good weather with no rush. They collectively decided to get off and do the last part next summer. So they'll finish next summer.

Don't be so quick to judge people unless you've been out there and done it...yeah i can tell myself that 20 days in the rain would be no problem while i sit in a nice cozy house typing on my computer...it's a different story when you've out there doing it.

Leave it to WB... U like many of the packsniffers that you find on here I spend atleast four months of every year in the back country for the past few years. I just recently started broadcasting this over the internet(I sold out). This year the first three started in January. So, forgive me if I can't find sympathy for someone who quits due to weather. It's backpacking! That takes place outdoors. So basically they are fair weather back packers. Hey HYOH. I'm just saying. You don't here me bitching because it was a high of 15 degrees 10 days in a row this winter. I just put on more clothes and walked. You have to be prepared. Not to be all purist and preachy.

Quote Originally Posted by corialice81 View Post
    I met them in Rangeley and have since talked with them since they got back. They did get off in Monson for several reasons, weather, gear, and they all had deadlines to be back home by. They decided to get off so they wouldn't rush the end. They wanted the last part of the trail to be wonderful...i.e. good weather with no rush. They collectively decided to get off and do the last part next summer. So they'll finish next summer.

Don't be so quick to judge people unless you've been out there and done it...yeah i can tell myself that 20 days in the rain would be no problem while i sit in a nice cozy house typing on my computer...it's a different story when you've out there doing it.
    i quit in gorham, n.h. 2 years in a row. no biggie. it's just a trail. nothing magical happens at katahdin

Images

I talked to one of their borthers who is also thru hiking this year and they got off to go back to college along with gear problems and rain. They all have every intention of finishing. They want to finish together. They never asked for sympathy or anything else.

This thread was started by another thru hiker just asking if anybody knew what happened to them. Out on the trail you get attached to other hikers and want to get news about them.

Why does every tread on this site get off track. If you do not have anything usefull to add, just move on and leave the reply section blank.
    Pootz 07

See. Now that makes sense. If you get off for school it is a little clearer. That was my point is that a lot of people here want drama so they show sympathy where none is asked for to make a conversation. I've got a suggestion. If you're really that bored go hike! It seems to work for me.

I do sometimes take offense when someone who has no idea who I am questions my experience. I wouldn't have said what I did if I couldn't back it up. I just happen not to be a fair weather hiker. I rather enjoy the challenge of diverse weather!

the deadlines I mentioned were referring to their college deadlines...had to get back to school so they didn't want to rush the last 70 miles or so...

Images

Great kids. Ran into them twice during my section hike.. once in GA and once in PA. They were all smiles both times.

Glad to know they are going to finish together next summer.
    Sue Buak

Images

We we're trail buddys, hiked together for a while down south. They were the most high spirited people I met along the way, I think it was a good decision though. I mean they obviously COULD have finished at that point but why make it a job. I'd hate to see them all up at the big K sign frusterated and unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Traveler View Post
    We we're trail buddys, hiked together for a while down south. They were the most high spirited people I met along the way, I think it was a good decision though. I mean they obviously COULD have finished at that point but why make it a job. I'd hate to see them all up at the big K sign frusterated and unhappy.
    I believe that I know the person hugging you on the Big K but why don't you look familiar? Hmmmm...

Nevermind...wrong person.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

The last time I saw them was at the Homeplace in Catawba, VA. I was getting updates from time to time about where they were. I know they made it to Maine before I finished, but did not hear much after that.

They were a tight group, that's for sure. Kudos to them for not wanting to rush the end. The 100 Mile Wilderness is a nice section of trail and I hope they enjoy it when they get there.

Hey Meltdown, check your email. You always take 2 months to respond.

Kirby

OH AT 08ers! how i love you. i need not post here to clarify why we got off because our friends have done that for us already in this thread. thank you for that, it really means a lot. we are all indeed excited to get back out there next summer...hope to see you there.

LOVE,
    the 4 sisters
    (or beth, specifically)

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by a sister View Post
    OH AT 08ers! how i love you. i need not post here to clarify why we got off because our friends have done that for us already in this thread. thank you for that, it really means a lot. we are all indeed excited to get back out there next summer...hope to see you there.

LOVE,
    the 4 sisters
    (or beth, specifically)
    You still in Portland?

Kirby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++