WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Books suggestions.

Anyone know any good books that I should read before going on this trip? I've done a few day hikes, but want to just go all out this time and do the entire thing. I would like to do as much research on it as possible, esp for weird things I wouldnt think of like I read you should bring shoes that are a 1/2 size to small because feet can swell and make shoes uncomfortable.

also I'm worried about wildlife like snakes and such, what to do in case of bite, how to prevent them (wear bikeproof pants or something?) if you have any suggestions let me know.

oops I mean 1/2 to large, to small would be even worse! hah

Images

well bro i'd suggest you read a few of the articles on this website rather than going out and picking up some book. they have all kinds of good info on gear, health, food, safety, etc

Awol On The Appalachian Trail And Bearfoot A Northbounder Are Great Thruhiker Books

Journal Entries
    Images

I think reading this book beforehand might add to your enjoyment of the AT. Perhaps a lot. Perhaps a little. Its a great book on stuff you will see everyday on the Trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracking-Art-S...1391293&sr=8-1

Default Then the Hail Came

Here's the URL

http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

Very funny, insightful, but somewhat dated. Best first person account I've read about the trail.

A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson

There are several books about hiking the AT. Most are day to day type journals (like Model T's and AWOL on the AT).

For an up to date day by day journals, I'd suggest reading some of the journals on trailjournals.com.

For how to imformation, I think this forum is probably a better source. See the articles section.

But, my favorite AT book is Larry's Luxenburgs' "Walking the Appalachian Trail."

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    Awol On The Appalachian Trail And Bearfoot A Northbounder Are Great Thruhiker Books
    I'll second Awol on the Appalachian Trail.... it gives a great idea of what a person goes thru out on the trail.

Reading the articles on the site here would be my first recommendation... Much experience is rolled up into these articles...

Randy

wow thanks so much for all the replies! this is great. I'll have lots to read now :]

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    wow thanks so much for all the replies! this is great. I'll have lots to read now :]
    (iron toothpick), (walking on the happy side of misery) are 3 and 4 on my list. have a great hike.

has anyone thought about compiling this info on whiteblaze.net into a PDF? I think I might do it, it would allow for a really easy way to read it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    also I'm worried about wildlife like snakes and such, what to do in case of bite, how to prevent them (wear bikeproof pants or something?)
    Best way to prevent snakebite is to watch your step and leave the poor creatures alone. Most folks on the trail wear shorts, I believe.

Long Distance Hiking is a somewhat outdated but still really good read about the AT.
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Images

Default 4 clicks

ATC's Hike the Trail and eArThworm's Books for Hikers are valuable A.T. hike planning resources. Download NPS's A.T. map and ALDHA's Online Companion.

Those 4 will get you off to a good start.

Stay tuned for a venomous snake thread link.

Images

Default Venomous snakes

Despite what you may read elsewhere on this site or someone may tell you, there are only two species of indigenous venomous snakes found on the A.T., timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. The odds of seeing any north of Massachusetts would be near zero and from New York southward, it's more likely, but many have walked on the A.T. for years having seen none.

Getting over the fear of rattlesnakes?!? in addition to having a good title is the best WhiteBlaze thread about venomous snakes. If I were to offer only one rattlesnake link, I'd make it Pennsylvania DCNR's here which is included in the thread mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson
    Makes a nice intro, but hopefully not the last word.

There's a good collection of books at the ATC bookstore. Linda Patton (aka earthworm) used to have an online bibliography, but I can't find it any more. Here's a link to a bibliography of AT-related books, from Kathy Bilton's website (an old and venerable AT-related website.) Here's the main page of Kathy's site.

Update: Found it. Here's the link to Linda's site: http://www.booksforhikers.com/

Images

As Far As The Eye Can See by David Brill is my favorite. He hiked the trail in the 70s and is an excellent writer

Images

Default Books for Hikers

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Update: Found it. Here's the link to Linda's site: http://www.booksforhikers.com/
    Great link. Now that it's linked 3 times in this thread, it should be easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Great link. Now that it's linked 3 times in this thread, it should be easy to find.
    Oops, sorry -- my bad for not reading the whole thread before posting.

Walking With Spring by Earl Shaffer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++