WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is WB slow for you?

Over the past few days, I've noticed a DRAMATIC increase in the time it takes to load pages from Whiteblaze. For instance, if I click on New Posts, I'd have time to go to the bathroom before the page finishes loading. Opening threads is painfully slow.

This problem does not appear to be related to time of day. I've experienced the same slow conditions at 4:00 AM, as I have at 7:00 PM. Nor does the problem seem related to the number of users logged on at the given time. There are very few members using WB at 4:00 AM.

I think WB is hosted on a server in Texas (or used to be), and that area is getting hammered by hurricane Ike at the moment, but this problem arose long before Ike made landfall.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Roland

Yes. This morning. Very slow. And I have a cable modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Over the past few days, I've noticed a DRAMATIC increase in the time it takes to load pages from Whiteblaze. For instance, if I click on New Posts, I'd have time to go to the bathroom before the page finishes loading. Opening threads is painfully slow.

This problem does not appear to be related to time of day. I've experienced the same slow conditions at 4:00 AM, as I have at 7:00 PM. Nor does the problem seem related to the number of users logged on at the given time. There are very few members using WB at 4:00 AM.

I think WB is hosted on a server in Texas (or used to be), and that area is getting hammered by hurricane Ike at the moment, but this problem arose long before Ike made landfall.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Ho Hummmm!
    Oh has the screen changed? Yes I'm having that problem too but I thought it was my old puter. I know the virtual memory in this one is low.

Yep, just seemed to get better though over the past couple hours... but last few days slow.

And yes there aren't many people on WB at 3:00 or 4:00 am. I work third shift and on my night off guess who can't sleep?

Images

Yes, been happening to me too. Right now it seems fine, but off and on over the past several days it has been almost unusable for periods of time. I usually just go do something else for an hour or two when it's acting like that.

yup, me too, can't even get WB to load at all at times lately, thought i was being prohibited from viewing for being bad.
    WALK ON

Images

Same. Been off and on for the better part of last week.

My Roadrunner acts like it got half-gnawed by a coyote.

I've noticed this from time-to-time and this week has seen a few of these sluggish times. It's so slow I just log off and do something else, not worth the wait.

I do about 4 vB forums and each gets slow from time to time. Also, if I'm not mistaken Whiteblaze's server is in ME.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I figured it was just the fact that the temps have dropped out here in Wyoming lately ...just kiddin.

But yeah, access time and screen loading times have seemed to increase lately.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Things were so slow I thought I was at trailplace, virtual days between replies

Journal Entries
    Images

Something is new - I can't get a slow page on Vios but I have a popup blocker that's turned off and it keeps making a blocking sound with each page. When I look there's nothing there.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You know how slow WB is? I'll tell ya! This morning, I knocked out 7 miles, and had to wait 30 minutes for WB to catch up to me. I just napped underneath a tree until it did.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Same. Been off and on for the better part of last week.

My Roadrunner acts like it got half-gnawed by a coyote.
    That's what roadrunners get for coming to Maine. We have fast coyotes.

And faster deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Something is new - I can't get a slow page on Vios but I have a popup blocker that's turned off and it keeps making a blocking sound with each page. When I look there's nothing there.
    Ah, say again?

Yup! me too here in Asia.
    I thought maybe it was my internet connection here although other sites are ok.

So,now that i see it is more widespread, i think it is a problem with whiteblaze's server???

LOL... Works fine with my connection! Maybe y'all need to use CCleaner.

PS. If you do, click options, cookies and save the cookies you have for this site and other safe sites you frequent, rather than deleting. Otherwise, use the default settings

Images

I started to post this last week and it just now loaded is that slow or what!! There are time I just give up on it.

I noticed it too. I did send a PM to ATTroll about it, but the speed picked up so I sent him a second PM that it was OK again. This happened not too long ago (couple of weeks) and he put in a ticket for whoever manages the WB server, maybe he needs to do that again.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++