WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Hotel owners suggest rerouting Appalachian Trail - The Patriot-News - PennLive.com

The Patriot-News - PennLive.com

Hotel owners suggest rerouting Appalachian Trail
    The Patriot-News - PennLive.com, PA - 2 minutes ago
    Pat and Vickey Kelly are hoping to redirect the Appalachian Trail down Duncannon's business district. More than 1000 hikers a year stop in the Kelleys' ...

More...

Images

Default trail into town...

Not having been there but sure hoping to in later years (5)...here's to you folks getting the "off-shoot" trail link to downtown and signage to that effect...I wish you good luck and trail worthiness...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

I really feel Pat and Vickey Kelly are a class act and the Doyle is a real respite for hikers, travelers and locals.
    Most road walkin' has been re-routed on the Trail, I'm for it going back on this section.

Wow, this one's such a no-brainer, I'm not sure why it hasn't been done long ago. By re-routing the Trail thru the town center, hikers would pass the Doyle Hotel (where most hiker visitors to Duncannon lodge); you'd pass Goodies, the best place in town to have breakfast; you'd pass the Pub and Sorrento's, two good places to eat that have welcomed hikers for years; you'd pass right by TrailangelMary's apartment, where many a hiker has found help and hospitality; you'd go right past the Duncannon Post Office; and a few blocks later, you'd go by 3B's, one of the best ice cream shops on the wholeTrail.

Re-routing the Trail down North Market Street is a really good idea and I hope it happens.

Default Relocating the AT

Is Duncannon as trail friendly as, say, Hot Springs? It sounds as if the town planners would welcome this change, as being compatible with their plans.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can supply the white paint!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Kinda hard to compare the two.

Hot Springs is a quiet little resort town in the middle of nowhere with perhaps 700 people.

Duncannon is an old town, much larger, with twice as many people, in a built- up area near its state capital.

The two communities have very little in common, other than the fact that the A.T. runs right thru them.

Both are friendly in different ways, but in terms of welcoming outsiders and strangers, and being friendly to folks who don't look, dress, or smell like regular folk, well yeah, Duncannon is as friendly as any place on the Trail.

Images

Since the A.T maintaining club chose to put the A.T. where it now is, I expect they had a good reason for chosing the current route even if their rational may not make sense to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    but there's one person here who would like ATC and the trail maintaining club to explain why the A.T. is elsewhere, me. They may have a good reason.
    I believe why they have the trail where it is now has something to do with the routing through town, an unsafe or narrow street, no sidewalk maybe.

Sounds like a great idea since practically everyone goes to the Doyle anyway and the official trail is still a sidewalk. Madame and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there last year.

Bad idea! If anything, the trail (if possible) should be routed out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    to where?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I believe why they have the trail where it is now has something to do with the routing through town, an unsafe or narrow street, no sidewalk maybe.
    From what I understand, the trail used to go into Noyes Park and then across the walking bridge that goes directly onto High St. The borough president explained it to me one time several years ago but it didn't make sense to me but then again I didn't live here at the time it was changed. But if I remember right it had to do with residences that used to be there, maybe??

Default Hotel owners want trail rerouted through town - The Patriot-News - PennLive.com

Hotel owners want trail rerouted through town
    The Patriot-News - PennLive.com, PA - 10 minutes ago
    BY JOE ELIAS DUNCANNON - Pat and Vickey Kelly hope to redirect the Appalachian Trail down Duncannon's business district. More than 1000 hikers a year stop ...

More...

Images

You have to go thru the town to get to the bridge that crosses the Susquehanna. The town is built right up against the foot of the bridge.

Panzer

Why? IMO, hikers I'd would rather hike through town then have to hitch in and out of it. YMMV

Images

Move the trail on to the roads, then it'll hit all the towns. Trail maintenance would overlap with the highway budget too, win-win.

The trail needs to get across the Susquehanna somehow... and it's a big, wide river.

The rerouting of the trail thru Duncannon is much ado about nothing, IMO. It's a choice of one long street or the other one right next to it. I presume the one that's currently chosen is a bit more residential and less commercial.

Besides, I can't imagine any sentient hiker is unaware of the existence of the Doyle by the time they walk into town from Springer or from Katahdin.

2010 complete

I agree with the above post as to why it is not routed. I walked the AT, but I also walked the 1 block(?) off the trail to Doyles. What I didn't like, was the non-hikers (transients?) on the level above. Doyles is a bar. I don't recommend routing woman hikers in front of a bar. It was broad daylight for me. I did go into the bar and have a drink, But I didn't like the audience that I had to pass outside.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++