WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

From 1936 to 1948 the AT went through Harpers Ferry, but hikers had to be polled across the Shenandoah in flat bottom punts.

For a while those choosing to go through HF had to walk over the Potomac on a RR bridge.

In 1948 the Trail was rerouted across Sandy Hook bridge. That's changed.

Now you just follow the usual white blazes over the rivers and thru town.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I'd love to know the story of why the AT was relo'd out of Monson. Whatever, I blue-blazed into town on the "old" AT.
    When I thru'd the AT had been relo'd the year before and I didn't know it until I got to just outside Monson. Quite a disappointment to think you are going to hike into town and then realize you had a hitch or a road walk at what you thot was the end of the day.

From the 1931 ATC guidebook(1st ed.), "Paths Of The Blue Ridge" is this description of the A.T. around Harpers Ferry.

"The Appalachian Trail begins on highway on south bank of the Potomac River, .03 m. east of Shenandoah River toll-bridge (toll 5 cents). From the highway (0 mile) the Trail is a blazed line, climbing steeply over loose stones along east side of Chimney Rock, to intersect old road descending slope from the main ridge. A little to right of this intersection is Chimney Rock, where a fine view of Harpers Ferry and of the two rivers is obtained."
    Attachment 4773

Journal Entries
    Images

The Shenandoah Bridge washed out in '36.

Rickb-"The Shenandoah Bridge washed out in '36."
    In my 1941 guidebook it says:

"By reason of the destruction of a part of the Canal bank and the former highway bridge by the Potomac River flood of 1936, the Trail connection between Weverton and Harpers Ferry is very much a problem at the present time. For 1/4 m. south of the bridges into Harpers Ferry, the former towpath has been destroyed. The marked continuous trail now follows the towpath west as far as it continues in good condition, then crosses the Canal and follows U.S. route 340."
    The route south up the ridge remains about the same. The better map in this guide shows the trail slightly different than I previously showed it so I have corrected the previous map.

I don't care exactly where every whiteblaze lays. I would just love to be able to hike to whole trail. I'm not much of a beer drinker but given the chance, I would buy everybody in the doyle a round if you could talk my wife into it and get me to the trail. Does anybody in Indiana hike?

Images

i think the duncannon re-route is a great idea; i can't think of one reason why it shouldn't be done.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

the route ain't broke so it don't need fixin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    aren't we simply talking about ONE block??? people must have something more important to whine about

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    aren't we simply talking about ONE block??? people must have something more important to whine about
    yup, 1 block. it's a non-issue.

One day I'm going to make a trip to Duncannon to hike that section; I feel as if I cheated myself of a pure AT experience

2010 complete

we purists walk further because we have to double back for a drink. no worries.

Images

But it gives us something to talk about..

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    There's a nice blueblaze in and out of Gorham, but you got to be a short-cutting low-life like me to do that
    Well, at least into town. Going out of town, the Mahoosic Trail is closed across the canal/dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Well, at least into town. Going out of town, the Mahoosic Trail is closed across the canal/dam.
    It was open last time I was there in Sept/Oct 2006. I do remember having a little problem staying on the Mahoosuc trail around the Dam/canal area. How long is that section of trail scheduled to be closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I set out to have a good time. If it includes missing a mile or two no big deal.
    Amen Brother!!

I happen to agree with this sentiment. Actually, I thought the trail did go by the Doyle. But I hiked through there 8+ years ago. Maybe I was on the wrong road, but it took me EXACTLY where I needed to go at the time.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I set out to have a good time. If it includes missing a mile or two no big deal.
    nicely put. imo, there is no finer philosophy on long distance hiking.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Oh yes... Duncannon, what a horrible town that was for me.

Don't get me wrong, the owners of the Doyle are amazing people and bent over backwards to help me quickly recover from food poisoning.

Goodies was amazing.

Does the Doyle archive all the photos they take somewhere? I noticed on their site that they only have recent photos, I was hoping to find mine. I rolled through in mid-may.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I happen to agree with this sentiment. Actually, I thought the trail did go by the Doyle. But I hiked through there 8+ years ago. Maybe I was on the wrong road, but it took me EXACTLY where I needed to go at the time.
    Going north the trail turns up from Market to High St. 1/2 block from the Doyle.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++