WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SedentarySteve View Post
    Some Duncannon History re High St. PUD:
    High Street used to traverse the entire borough.
    Thanks for this information! Further proof that nonsense sometimes once made sense to someone!

Now, what does the purist do when the so-called "subway" (underpass for SR 0849 under Norfolk Southern between town proper and the Twin County Bridge) is closed due to flooding?

Speaking of the A.T. route thru Duncannon, you might find this photo of the Hon. D.K. Hoch, a hiker named Earl, and Murray Stevens at the dedication of a "new" bridge in Duncannon in 1955 interesting.
    Attachment 4767(click for larger image)

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Speaking of the A.T. route thru Duncannon, you might find this photo of the Hon. D.K. Hoch, a hiker named Earl, and Murray Stevens at the dedication of a "new" bridge in Duncannon in 1955 interesting.
    I do, thanks! Here's some more background that starts off explaining why the Trail came to be in Duncannon in the first place: http://www.satc-hike.org/history.htm
    Edit: This club newsletter has more contemporaneous background and an announcement of the event where that photo was likely taken: http://www.satc-hike.org/bb2-1.pdf
    Last edited by ki0eh; 09-08-2008 at 09:29. Reason: added link

The Doyle is a classic and I would detour my hike any distance to visit Pat and Vickey. Classic folks good cooks and great bartenders.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Skip the town and ford the Susky.
    In 1980, about six members of the AT Circle Expedition forded/swam the Susquehanna River at the Clarks Ferry Bridge without packs. (we walked back across the bridge to pick up our packs)

It was an exhilarating, memorable experience.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Thanks Old Fhart & KiOeh. Good stuff

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Bad idea! If anything, the trail (if possible) should be routed out of town.
    Boo! Everyone flame him now he dared to break with the group!
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Default Four pages on something this simple...

Why not just put a large (hard to miss) sign up on a corner of the street the Doyle is on that crosses the AT route through Duncannon? The sign would read "Doyle Hotel 1 block" with a BIG arrow. Maybe add one for the PO as well. Problem solved.

Smith:

Local signage would be nice but 99% of folks who enter the town from one end or the other via the Trail have one of the standard Trail guides......they already know about the Doyle and the Post Office, and their guidebooks contain detailed maps.

So missing signage isn't the issue.

Moving the Trail to North Main Street would simply make more sense, as the street is the heart of the community, as well as containing all sorts of places that present-day hikers have to go a bit out of their way for. If the Trail is going to leave the woods and mountains and go thru an actual town, and if hikers are going to use facilities and businesses in this town, then it sems to make sense to put the Trail in closer proximity to these businesses.

If there's anyone who doesn't want to be in town, or doesn't care for the Trail to being town (I thik Chief is the only one on the thread who's leaned this way), then they have an easy solution: Keep walking and get outta Dodge.

But for the folks who enjoy it when the Trail goes right thru the occasional community (Hot Springs, Damascus, Hanover, or Duncannon to name a few), it would seem to make more sense to put the Trail right past the places where hikers are likely to visit.

Moving the Trail one block over would not be hard; would make it more pleasant for hikers; would help local businesses; would make more folks in Duncannon realize that the hiker presence adds to communities and helps local small businesses; and in short, would make a lot of sense.

In short, it's an idea whose time is overdue.

Yes, four pages on this simple subject is pathetically funny. Just walk the town, period. And if you're a purist, well you'll be backtracking (not much, but still backtracking).

This issue/obsession in the AT community of following/passing every single whiteblaze just makes me laugh. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

This issue/obsession in the AT community of following/passing every single whiteblaze just makes me laugh. I just don't get it.
    Well, some people decide to leave their family and go without income for 6 months to hike the appalachian trail. I don't understand why some of these people don't end up doing what they set out to do and take shortcuts just to save a mile or so here and there.

Yes, and I'd like to see the AT go through a few more towns. Two that come to mind real quick are Gorham and Monson.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Yes, and I'd like to see the AT go through a few more towns. Two that come to mind real quick are Gorham and Monson.
    There's a nice blueblaze in and out of Gorham, but you got to be a short-cutting low-life like me to do that

Default Not...

Waynesboro or Gatlinburg?

the AT USED to go thru both those towns

I'd love to know the story of why the AT was relo'd out of Monson. Whatever, I blue-blazed into town on the "old" AT. I'd had a rough day on those %^@$+# PUDs along the river, my feet were all a-blistered, and was in a foul mood. That was before the electroshock and the lobotomy. I'm all better now.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Well, some people decide to leave their family and go without income for 6 months to hike the appalachian trail. I don't understand why some of these people don't end up doing what they set out to do and take shortcuts just to save a mile or so here and there.
    I set out to have a good time. If it includes missing a mile or two no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I'd love to know the story of why the AT was relo'd out of Monson. Whatever, I blue-blazed into town on the "old" AT. I'd had a rough day on those %^@$+# PUDs along the river, my feet were all a-blistered, and was in a foul mood. That was before the electroshock and the lobotomy. I'm all better now.
    in order to get federal funding the AT had to be taken off all roads where possible per order of the park service and forest service

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the AT USED to go thru both those towns
    It used to bypass Harpers Ferry.

That's interesting Wolf, I didn't know that.

So where and how did it originally get across the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++