WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SOBOers.

Images

Default SOBOers.

Man, I really feel waaayyy behind all other SOBOs. (I'm just about ready to cross the border into Vermont.

Anyone other SOBOs this far back?)

I was a NOBO'er in 2006 and remember seeing SOBO'ers around this timeframe, at which time I was in NH, near the Whites.

Sometimes you can feel all alone even though there are hikers all around you, it's a neat feeling when you think you're all by yourself and then all of a sudden you run into some fellow hikers. You'll see them eventually.

Images

Its good to see that you are still going. You are starting to get into what a SOBO is really like. Back in 06 when I hiked from Katahdin to Rutland I started mid July and the biggest group of SOBOs that I was part of was 4. The total that I saw was 5.

Grizzly Bear

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    Its good to see that you are still going.
    Well, thanks. I was just looking back on all my old posts on issues with being overweight and had to laugh. Forgot that problem at the end of the hundred mile wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    You are starting to get into what a SOBO is really like.
    I'm assuming you're talking about the SOBO = SOLO equation.

Default Late SOBOs

Actually, there were several other Littlebeards in Hanover today, so there are certainly other SOBO's out there, and probably a few more yet to arrive. It's late in the season, but there are definitely folks still coming. Enjoy Vermont!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Actually, there were several other Littlebeards in Hanover today, so there are certainly other SOBO's out there, and probably a few more yet to arrive. It's late in the season, but there are definitely folks still coming. Enjoy Vermont!
    Littlebeards, ha-ha. That's a great description. Hmm...I'm hanging out in Hanover. Visited the computers and the free pizza. Where else would they be?

Images

little beards... love that!!! Ahhh Hanover and the free pizza slice, one of the few good things there besides a young lady I met.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I remember the first SOBO I met, she was a snobby German woman. The second one was a nice female I met with Cookie on the ascent of Mousilauke.

Kirby

Images

Actually, Kirby, Alpine Stider isn't all that snobby. She hikes fast, just like you do, and probably didn't have a lot of time to visit.

Sallie, or Murphy, or whatever your name is now (grin), I'll never forget climbing Katahdin with you that day... or the day you were leaving at Abol campground... can't wait to see you again after your hike and talk about it.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

You are not far, a matter of days, I was at last year southbound. It really thins out though. I was still meeting southbounders just before the smokies. I would recommend hooking up with some to hike with when you see them or you might spend more time alone than you want. The problem with that for me was the people that caught me were always moving too fast and the people I would catch were too slow.

Enjoy. If it helps I finished Jan 20th after a week off for ankle injury and lots of slow days and zeros towards the end. Stock up on the cold weather and rain gear and enjoy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Actually, Kirby, Alpine Stider isn't all that snobby. She hikes fast, just like you do, and probably didn't have a lot of time to visit.

Sallie, or Murphy, or whatever your name is now (grin), I'll never forget climbing Katahdin with you that day... or the day you were leaving at Abol campground... can't wait to see you again after your hike and talk about it.
    Hi Red Hat, I forgot to tell you that I was officially dubbed by Kelly (Browntoe) as Trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    You are not far, a matter of days, I was at last year southbound. It really thins out though. I was still meeting southbounders just before the smokies. I would recommend hooking up with some to hike with when you see them or you might spend more time alone than you want. The problem with that for me was the people that caught me were always moving too fast and the people I would catch were too slow.

Enjoy. If it helps I finished Jan 20th after a week off for ankle injury and lots of slow days and zeros towards the end. Stock up on the cold weather and rain gear and enjoy.
    Thanks. I really enjoy going slow. Touring these little towns by foot, if you will. The only problem is feeling ashamed in saying I've been out here for two months and have only done two states.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I thought about it again. I was a little ahead but not but. Enjoy. The people I was hiking with towards the end were all saying we would keep hiking until it got warm, if we had the money.

There might be some tough lonely times ahead. I had some. Afterwards I am happy I did. I feel a lot more comfortable than I did before being alone or doing anything alone than I used to. On the good side you know every place will have a spot for you when you get to town. I always got the prime spot, since it was just me or 1 or 2 others. Plus you can have a lot better talks with people and they will help you out more when there are not 20 other hikers around.

Enjoy. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Always looking to help out a fellow southbounder.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I thought about it again. I was a little ahead but not but. Enjoy. The people I was hiking with towards the end were all saying we would keep hiking until it got warm, if we had the money.

There might be some tough lonely times ahead. I had some. Afterwards I am happy I did. I feel a lot more comfortable than I did before being alone or doing anything alone than I used to. On the good side you know every place will have a spot for you when you get to town. I always got the prime spot, since it was just me or 1 or 2 others. Plus you can have a lot better talks with people and they will help you out more when there are not 20 other hikers around.

Enjoy. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Always looking to help out a fellow southbounder.
    Thanks again. I really am glad I chose to do it SOBO: no signficant deadline.

Hey Trip,

I don't think you're behind, the SOBO's are just all over the place now. I'm in Dalton, Mass and their aren't any SOBO's around that I know of. Some are a few days ahead, others a few days behind.

Vermont is wonderful, you're going to love it.

Hanging out at the Birdcage with Rob till the weather clears up and my toe gets better. Be sure to stop by the shell station here and ask for Rob, great place to stay.

Take care,
    D-wreck

Images

Hey Dwreck and Trip, you two of our little group of six from Katahdin 7/1 are still out there. Not sure if Godzilla is still hiking or not, but I know MacGyver had to get off in Rutland to do her Navy stuff. Dwreck, I'm really enjoying your journal and photos. Thanks! And Trip, you aren't the last one by any means. Stumpknocker just started back north at Hanover and he ran into four SOBOs yesterday. Mokay started back in June, but took some time off, I think. So hike on, and enjoy it.

Images

D-Wreck are you taking a zero because of the weather or just waiting for the Vermont Mafia??? !!!

Images

Hey Trip, we met at Piazza Rock (Maine). I (Anne) was co-leading the girls camp group. There were 6-15 yr olds and another adult (Annie). We finished up at Rattle River on Aug. 8th. Miserable rainy weather. I'm glad to see your post here. I wish you luck with your journey and I'll keep checking on your progress. I have no doubts that you will be successful no matter how long it takes. Keep on hiking!
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Yo guys I'm outside of Boston right now taking a sidetrip to hang out with some friends I started out with who jumped off at Franconia Notch...Warraghiyagey and von Frick...I'm heading back to Tom's place in Dalton tomorrow and my intention is to hike 10 miles out of Dalton and hit up the October Mtn Lean-to so hopefully I'll run into some of you then...

D-Wreck I think I was about a day behind you before I jumped off...saw your name at the church in Chesire...

Take it easy guys

-Cheesewhiz-

aka Mokay
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRIP08 View Post
    Anyone other SOBOs this far back?)
    Hey Trip
    We're still here, just a little behind you. Chill had some back problems a day or two after we saw you last. We had to do some really short miles for a couple days to get him worked out again. I think you probably passed us while we were stealthing on one of those short days. We're in Hanover right now, and you know how we are when we get in a town! We've made some modifications to his pack to hopefully help with the back problems, and will be heading into Vermont as soon as we get our stuff together.

Keep hiking, we'll catch you somewhere south of here, and yes, there are others still behind us. Several SOBOs passed us between Smarts Mt and Hanover and we've been seeing more flip floppers too.
    HUGS - mokay
    HUGS - J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++