WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gooch Gap?

Default Gooch Gap?

Im looking for a 2 and a half day hike starting from Amicalola.
    Is Gooch Gap easily accessible to be picked up?
    Anyone have directions?

USFS Road 42 is at Gooch Gap and I've crossed it three times, but for the life of me I can't remember what it looks like, so it's probably not a good place. If you hike another 3 1/2 miles north you will come to Woody Gap GA60, that is a good place to get picked up.

You have a couple good options.

I'm sure detailed directions are in the guidebook, but here's a quickie.

Find Dahlonega on a map. North of Dahlonega you should see the intersection of GA 60 and 19. Stay on 60 for 5.5 miles past this intersection and you will see a large parking area at Woody Gap. Big sign; can't miss it. If you want to get picked up here you have to hike an additional 3.5 miles north of Gooch Gap on the trail.

If you want to get picked up at Gooch Gap, then drive past Woody Gap about 3 miles north (I'm guessing; this is from memory) until you see Tritts store (closed) on your left. Turn left at the store, onto a paved road which soon turns into a dirt road. This is FS 42. Stay on FS 42 for 2.7 miles and you will be at Gooch Gap.

Gooch Gap is easy access in any car. The road you turn onto at the closed Tritt General Store is Cooper Gap Road. About 2 miles in it becomes USFS 42 and changes from paved to a well graded gravel road, not a dirt road. Gooch Gap is about .75 miles down the gravel road. There is a small parking area and a couple of campsites at the gap. You can't miss it.

I live on Cooper Gap Road about a mile from Gooch Gap. If I can help in any way send me a PM

++ New Posts ++