WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Why a slow thru is better than a fast thru.

I have sectioned the entire AT, and I have thru hiked it. I plan on going again because I did not listen to Model T and others who told me to "Slow down and enjoy it more". I did many massive 25-30 mile days and regretted it. I wanted to stay with younger hikers and friends who had agendas to keep. In 09' I plan on shorter days, longer camp talks, lingering at views more, going less than 15 mile days and letting myself be OK with going slow. I will Hike My Own Hike this time.
    And yes I am OK with no one caring or listening to me too.

Images

right on man!*

*from a younger hiker who moves fast, but overall, takes his sweet-ass time.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

At 56, even 15 miles a day seems a lot.

Panzer

If you've done the AT twice, it's time for another trail. I suggest the CDT.

Have big fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I second that.
    Also the PCT is pretty awesome.
    Lots of good trails out there.

Go as fast or as slow as you like on any of them. (why would someone care about that?)

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I second that.
    Also the PCT is pretty awesome.
    Lots of good trails out there.

Go as fast or as slow as you like on any of them. (why would someone care about that?)
    And now a third. The west is the best!

But it's your hike. Have a good time, whatever you choose to do.

On behalf of the Class of 09 let me be the first to say thanks for choosing the AT again for a third time. I am sure many of us will benefit from those long camp talks. I am sure many of us will be trying to zoom through but it simply means more of us will be able to enjoy your company. Sure hope our paths cross... Grumpy

If we make it out there this year we'll be goin slow too No need to speed through life unless your on the highway and your on your way to a trail head. Then it's peddle to the metal

hyoh
    slow is my preferred speed as well ('cept when i'm on the m/c)
    for me it's more a way to fully enjoy the outdoors...
    of course to each his own...but i get enough of the (rat)race while at work
    you're welcome...
    -the social invalid

I find the topic of speed and daily mileage to be an interesting one. I cranked miles during my thru-hike when I could. 20 miles/day was my average after Shenandoah. I like that, because I'm more of a hiker than a camper.

During subsequent backpacking trips, I try and take more frequent breaks. Naps. Fish. And whatnot. But I still have this internal drive that wants to go, go, go. On the JMT recently, this nervous energy would manifest itself in different ways, and my daughter would pick up on it and say "what's the hurry?" It's hard to explain, but I like to move when I'm on the trail.

I do think that a lot of folks are mistakenly under the impression that you can't enjoy yourself or see things if you're doing big miles. I respectfully disagree, though on this recent hike of the JMT, we did 10 miles/day and camped at many places that I passed by in 2006, and wanted to stay at.

The biggest downside of doing less miles for me, is that I'm not tired in camp at the end of the day. So I don't sleep as well. I like to leave it all out on the trail, and walk into camp tuckered out from a day of hiking. Am I crazy, or does anyone else feel that way?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

BB: I know it is hard sometimes to HYOH as you fall into wanting to stay with a certain group of hikers, but just think of all the new hikers you will get a chance to meet by going slow. The AT is the trail I resonate best with but as a friend of mine told me... for every trail you hike twice there is a trail you have never hiked. Just a thought. Then again there is my friend Stumpknocker... will he ever stop hiking the AT )??? LOL! He even hikes it while doing other trails and adventures...

Wherever you go, whatever you do, ENJOY it.

Sue
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

MOWGLI... while I can't attest to the state of your sanity I also feel the need to hike myself tired to sleep well. As they say HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    I have sectioned the entire AT, and I have thru hiked it. I plan on going again because I did not listen to Model T and others who told me to "Slow down and enjoy it more". I did many massive 25-30 mile days and regretted it. I wanted to stay with younger hikers and friends who had agendas to keep. In 09' I plan on shorter days, longer camp talks, lingering at views more, going less than 15 mile days and letting myself be OK with going slow. I will Hike My Own Hike this time.
    And yes I am OK with no one caring or listening to me too.
    have a great hike BARE BEAR i'll see you out there. i hope its your best hike yet

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post

The biggest downside of doing less miles for me, is that I'm not tired in camp at the end of the day. So I don't sleep as well. I like to leave it all out on the trail, and walk into camp tuckered out from a day of hiking. Am I crazy, or does anyone else feel that way?
    I do agree with that. I find when I hike solo I hike many more miles and sleep much better. Although the slow hikes are good too, not much recovery time when you get back. 5 days at 15 miles a day hurts more than 5 days at 7 miles a day. If you stop early, be the one who does the firewood collecting, water retrieval, and tent setup... it will help you to tire out ( or am I just getting suckered into all those things)

Well, my friend, using that logic if you've made love the the same women twice it's time for another women?

By the way, saying fast or slow or where you hike is better is flat out silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Well, my friend, using that logic if you've made love to the same women twice it's time for another women?
    No, it's just time for another position.

Journal Entries

I measure hikes by hours and days in the woods and mountains, not by miles covered.

Weary

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I do think that a lot of folks are mistakenly under the impression that you can't enjoy yourself or see things if you're doing big miles.
    A lot of folks confuse big mile days with walking fast.

Most folks that I know who hike big mile days don't hike any faster than anyone else, they start earlier in the morning and hike later into the afternoon. They pass by the same trees and see the same things as the folks who tell us (like this thread title) that a "slow" thru is better than a "fast" thru.

Generally, those who opt for a slow thru are walking the same speed, but spending more hours lounging in the sack in the morning and puttering around the shelter, and spending many more hours in the afternoon sitting in a shelter.

Nothing wrong with this if that is what you want, but it hardly makes for a better thru for those who would rather be in the woods than in a shelter most of the day.

Not that anyone is in a position to tell others that, "My way is better than your way," anyway.

Many folks cannot walk really long days because they get injured and many are not in good enough physical condition (especially at the beginning) to walk 12 hours a day and enjoy themselves. Physical limitations limit a hiker, no doubt. But the fit hiker has a choice to spend more hours on the trail or more hours in a shelter. It is up to him to decide, not anyone else, that more hours in a shelter is "better."
    Frosty

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++