WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Best titanium cook set?

After many years of toting my old army mess kit and an old aluminum kit I bought at a yard sale too many years ago, I'm thinking of upgrading (if it is an upgrade), to titanium. Been looking a Montbell and Snow Peak. Any input about either or both. Thanks

Images

I use the Snow Peak Ti Mug 700. I freezer bag cook so I don't need a large cook pot. Much better than my old heavy weight cook set.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CBSSTony View Post
    After many years of toting my old army mess kit and an old aluminum kit I bought at a yard sale too many years ago, I'm thinking of upgrading (if it is an upgrade), to titanium. Been looking a Montbell and Snow Peak. Any input about either or both. Thanks
    It's really not an upgrade IMO. I could not get it to heat evenly. Scorches food easier. If you are just heating water they are OK, I guess.

After many cookpots I finally the GSI Soloist and the Dualist. Love this cook pot.

~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Heres a nice little set up for a fair price...

http://www.rei.com/product/770295?cm...:referralID=NA

I have the MSR Titan Kettle and an additional 2 pot and a frying pan MSR titanium set (for when there's more than 2 of us). I just got the set so no experience with it yet, but I really like the Titan Kettle. I mostly do FBC though, so your mileage may vary.

Images

I've been pretty satisfied with my Evernew 0.9L (which is now made for REI). It fits inside the AntiGravityGear neoprene case which I use as a cozy.

Think about what pieces you need. I use an MSR Titan kettle but I have heard of people frying things in a frying pan. If you're mostly going to boil water consider just a small aluminum or titanium pot or even a Heineken or Fosters pot setup.

I have over 10,000 trail miles on my Snow Peak Titanium Solo cup, pot, and spork. Still going strong. Weelll made. Also, have the Snow Peak Giga stove(don't get the piezo lighter because they R too fragile) with even more trail miles on it and it has held up really well.

MSR Titanium Kettle would be my second choice.

Images

Thanks everyone. I failed to mention that I have the MSR Dragonfly, it has a widely spaced pot holder, and I think some of the smaller diameter pots won't fit. I bought a stainless steel canteen for winter camping so I could melt ice/snow for water. It doesn't fit on there quite right and I have to lean it to get it to work. I have been looking at the Snow Peak mini solo for a couple of years ,but its too small for my stove. For just boiling water trips I use a Jetboil. The Dragonfly has an adjustable flame so I can slow down the sticking and burning I think. I'm looking at the Snow Peak Trek 1400 or Montbell #3.

I use the MSR Titanium Kettle, with my FBC

Quote Originally Posted by CBSSTony View Post
    What will you be cooking?

Images

I have a wide variety of things I eat on the trail. It mostly depends on the situation and any other persons that might be with me and if they have their own food. If its just me mostly soups/stews, one pot type meals. If my grand son is with me its more prepackaged type foods.

Take whats applicable.

I have liked the Snow Peak 3 piece set, a nesting set of pots with a lid that can be used as a frypan. The fuel canister fits inside the small pot. Nice for heating water for main dish, then in the smaller pot, extra for cocoa or soup or clean up. Or you can have a pot, cup and plate arrangement. I use it with a pocket rocket stove.
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

Images

i use this bad boy and love it! look at that price mmmmm

http://www.rei.com/product/768513

When you say Titanium I think immediately of Snow Peak. The 3 piece set offers lots of utility for a very reasonable price.

so why no takers on the montbell stuff? anybody had problems with it?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Kanga- I wasn't aware Montbell made cooking equip., just checked their site, lots of cook sets. Which one do you have and what do you think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Montbell makes beautiful, high quality stuff. It is like Muji for hiking equipment. Their car-camping stuff is amazing.

Really, for a pot, consider cost, weight, proportions, make sure that the finish won't flake off and that you can safely handle it when hot. I started out my thru-hike with a coffee can to boil water in because I couldn't decide on a pot. That worked great but I replaced it at Neels Gap because Liptons stuck to it. Well, Liptons sticks to my $50 titanium pot, too.

Point is, it's a pot, just a metal container for heating water or food in, no matter what other characteristics it has. Not worth agonizing over. If money is an issue and you're just boiling water, use a beer can, a cheap aluminum pot or cup, or a coffee can, a candy tin, the can from beanie weenies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++