WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Burlington, VT/Williamstown, MA Lodging??

I'm planning a LT SOBO hike beginning in late September. My plan is to take Amtrak to Burlington for a shuttle to the northern terminus and then catch the bus from the southern terminus in Williamstown home.

I'll need to spend a night in Burlington upon arrival and catch a shower and a night's rest in Williamstown prior to departure. Does anyone have any reccomendations for hiker friendly lodging in these towns? The GMC E2E guide obviously doesn't cover Burlington and has very limited info on Williamstown.

Thanks.

Lodging in Williamstown should be covered in the ALDHA Companion.

Images

I tented at the outfitter in Wmstown right next to the stream (River). They were super nice. The Williamstown Inn will allow you to shower for $5 (I think) and they are very nice and accommodating. Restaurant across from the outfitter was good and reasonable. You may want a bed by then, tho. The bus leaves at 10 am so it was easy to eat a good breakfast at the Inn before the bus.

If you are getting off the trail at Wmstown, the Pine Cobble Trail leads you right down so you don't have to backtrack the 2+ miles from the trail crossing at N. Adams. If you do come down the Pine Cobble, there are a steath sites just before the parking lot.

May not be what you want.
    Turtle2

Images

I wonder if you'd have any luck on www.couchsurfer.com?

Also, the folks over at www.viewsfromthetop.com might have a better line on it, especially the Burlington bit.

I don't recall any affordable rooms in Williamstown, but if you have bucks you could stay at the inn there, which is also the bus stop.

Alternatively you could come down the AT to Rt 2 in North Adams, go west on Rt 2 for 0.5 miles to the Redwood Motel (cheaper and not as nice as the Williams Inn). You'd have to take a BRTA bus (stops hourly on weekdays at the Stop and Shop right across from the Redwood) or a taxi to the Williams Inn to catch the Peter Pan out of Williamstown. Stealth camping at the bottom of Pine Cobble is possible, but it is a busy trail. If you can see houses, you've come down too far.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle2 View Post
    I tented at the outfitter in Wmstown right next to the stream (River). They were super nice. The Williamstown Inn will allow you to shower for $5 (I think) and they are very nice and accommodating. Restaurant across from the outfitter was good and reasonable. You may want a bed by then, tho. The bus leaves at 10 am so it was easy to eat a good breakfast at the Inn before the bus.

If you are getting off the trail at Wmstown, the Pine Cobble Trail leads you right down so you don't have to backtrack the 2+ miles from the trail crossing at N. Adams. If you do come down the Pine Cobble, there are a steath sites just before the parking lot.

May not be what you want.

for Williamstown, I highly recommend either camping behind the Mountain Goat Outfitter (free, awesome babbling stream, great ambience!), pub/restaurant across the street, walk to College Campus for breakfast coffee shop. Or Redwood Motel is just 0.5mi down the road - easy walk. Cheap, no frills, but convenient. Could thumb to Dunkin Donuts etc or catch bus into town.

I concur on the first recommendation by garyhebert. The folks at the Goat are great, and it is conveniently located to other town amenities (but 5 miles west of the AT).

However, from reading journals and speaking with hikers, the only thing in the Redwood's favor seems to be it's close location to the Trail and the grocery store. Definitely does not seem to make any effort to be "hiker friendly". On the other hand is has bathrooms, beds, and a roof that doesn't leak.

Cosmo (Williamstown resident, section hiker)

the Redwood aint much to look at but it is a bed and a bath and cheap and conveniently located across from Stop&Shop and the bus stop. as far as Cosmo saying they made no effort to be hiker friendly, I met the owner, and while there was no marching band and key to the city waiting for me upon my arrival, he certainly wasnt unfriendly. Aside from Hostels and outfitters I think you will find very few businesses that make a concious effort to be "hiker friendly". especially up north. as long as Im treated like any other customer and not looked down upon due to my smell or attire, I consider that to be hiker friendly. Remember, just because we are long distance hikers, that does not and should not entitle us to special treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by garyhebert View Post
    for Williamstown, I highly recommend either camping behind the Mountain Goat Outfitter (free, awesome babbling stream, great ambience!), pub/restaurant across the street, walk to College Campus for breakfast coffee shop. Or Redwood Motel is just 0.5mi down the road - easy walk. Cheap, no frills, but convenient. Could thumb to Dunkin Donuts etc or catch bus into town.
    Next time I'm through Wtown I will try to stay at the Mountain Goat. Sounds like a nice place. Due to the time of year Smyth will be hiking however, I think I would opt for the Redwood and some heat.

++ New Posts ++