WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toilet Paper?

Default Toilet Paper?

Ok, before I get raided by comments, I did a search, and got no returns. Toilet paper, and 6 months of it... Anyone have opinions, ideas, suggestions? I won't buy those overpriced individual "hiker" packs. I'm worried about leaf identification, but am up for ideas. I've even heard of bandana's..should I just buy a roll as needed and put it into a plastic bag.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

are you asking about mountain money,(thats what i call toilet paper) priceless in the woods. not to expensive at hostels or stores. i always ask for a roll at the motels. free with cost of room some hikers split up rolls! thats not for me! it don't weigh that much. buy one roll at a time and put it in a ziploc..

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

i heard of one thing to make the roll stay together better:
    take out the center cardboard, flatten the roll, wrap ductape around it, and feed the toilet paper out from the middle, kind of like baby wipes.

I myself have never actually tried it, but it sounds like it could work.

Images

Toilet is best when foraged from bathrooms in hotels, gas stations, and other places where it "grows" in abundance. You'll be able to frequently get more, like at every town stop.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

If you use it burn it or pack it out!!!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

You can get TP about anywhere you go that is remotely close to civilization. Get a roll, put a couple strips of tape around the outside of it, cut or pull the cardboard core out of the middle and pull the TP from the center. It's easy, no muss no fuss. I keep mine double bagged in ziplocks.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Go w/o. If you are a guy, easy!! If you are a gal, use a dab rag. Gotta do more then just sprinkle. Limit yourself to 1 wet wipe a morning. Wash your face and then your bum. Pack it out. Easy as 1-2-3.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Not paying for your TP is theft.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    Not paying for your TP is theft.
    Thank you!!! I find it horrible that so many hikers take TP, that places have to put up signs "Do not steal the Toilet paper". It is a bad rep of thru-hikers.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Sometimes a convenience store will have those small rolls of cheapo TP. They flatten out pretty good. Just stick one in a plastic ziplock. Sometimes I'll buy a full cheap roll, then exchange it at a public restroom, hostel, motel room for a partial roll if I don't want to, or need to, carry a full roll. I think this technique eliminates the "don't steal from folks who are helping you out" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    You can get TP about anywhere you go that is remotely close to civilization. Get a roll, put a couple strips of tape around the outside of it, cut or pull the cardboard core out of the middle and pull the TP from the center. It's easy, no muss no fuss. I keep mine double bagged in ziplocks.
    Definitely going to take this idea and run with it. Since I can't waste valuable tape, I'm thinking of making a small collapsible box and feed the paper from the inside out.

I would always buy TP, never steal. It's like what $1 a roll...
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

I scavange my TP when ever possible.
    Don't be an idiot and take a whole roll out of a restroom, just 10 or 15 feet - thats good for at least a week. A whole roll is too much bulk anyway.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    Ok, before I get raided by comments, I did a search, and got no returns. Toilet paper, and 6 months of it... Anyone have opinions, ideas, suggestions? I won't buy those overpriced individual "hiker" packs. I'm worried about leaf identification, but am up for ideas. I've even heard of bandana's..should I just buy a roll as needed and put it into a plastic bag.
    =====================================

I started off my thru in 2003 carryng toilet paper (yes ...a partial roll flattened in a zip lock) but soon switched over to wet wipes. Much more versatile and can be used for other hygeine needs as well. I located the "fragrance free" ones without alcohol. I squeezed the excess fluid out of a fresh pack of wipes and stuck them in a freezer strength ziplock. Kept them handy (top of backpack).

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Babywipes...no TP

Default I do part of that...

Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    take out the center cardboard, flatten the roll, wrap ductape around it, and feed the toilet paper out from the middle, kind of like baby wipes.

I do remove and discard the cardboard out part (I call it "field stripping" the TP). The best way IMO is to make a small tear in the cardboard where its spiral join hits the end, then tear it out along that join. (If you try to just yank out the cardboard, the TP roll tends to come with it.) Then, flatten the roll. Lastly, put it individually in its own gallon ziploc freezer bag. (I suggest throwing in enough individually-wrapped wet wipes for the whole roll, so you'll have them when you need them.) I prefer the generic brands of TP, not just BC of price, but BC they're smaller and fit better in a backpack.

Oh, and you'll likely have some change in your stools from your switch to a hiker's diet, thus your TP usage rate can be expected to change some as well. If you overplan your total-resupply maildrops, you'll likely be off somewhat on included TP...

no tp
    babywipes with excess moisture discarded...does a better job...worth the extra weight for me
    to each their own
    you're welcome...
    -the social invalid

I don't agree with burning your used toilet paper. Bury it! Deep! 6" is good with a big rock thrown on top.

One of the things that really bothered me when hiking the Pyrenees and the Himalayas is that people just seemed to ***** wherever they felt the need. Very unsanitary.

We in the USA are much more advanced in this regard IMO. Let's keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post

This works well. I use this method.

Spent some time in the Sinai of Egyt...It was a great insult to touch a nomadic Bedoin with the LEFT hand....Cause thats what they used to wipe with.

Toilet paper is for nancy's. I use bunnies.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++