WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toilet Paper?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Toilet is best when foraged from bathrooms in hotels, gas stations, and other places where it "grows" in abundance. You'll be able to frequently get more, like at every town stop.

I'm sorry but isn't this stealing? One thing you don't want to do in towns is give hikers bad names. Like they can help themselves to rolls of TP in business establishments or other things when they can well spend a little money to buy some. Many convenience stores have one roll for sale, esp in trail towns. Or buy a four pack roll while in town and split it with other hikers or put it in a hiker box for others. I had my roll in mail drop, but I was also sending myself my medications, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

"In days of old, when knights were bold
    And paper was not invented,
    They wiped their arse
    On blades of grass,
    And walked away contented."

This British children's rhyme reminds us that tufts of grass, leaves, sphagnum moss, even smooth stones can do the job with less environmental impact than paper. Check for thorns before application.
    Keith

Images

Small packets of tissues work, too. They are usually sold at convenience stores, drug stores, etc.

Ditto on the "taking tp without paying for it is theft."
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    ....should I just buy a roll as needed and put it into a plastic bag.
    That's what I did and what most long distance hikers do.

Quote Originally Posted by kdholmwood View Post
    "In days of old, when knights were bold
    And paper was not invented,
    They wiped their arse
    On blades of grass,
    And walked away contented."

This British children's rhyme reminds us that tufts of grass, leaves, sphagnum moss, even smooth stones can do the job with less environmental impact than paper. Check for thorns before application.
    Keith
    thanks, i had a crappy day and that made us laugh!

besides, most public restrooms have what we call "John Wayne" paper......Rough, Tough, and doesn't take any crap off of nobody

Images

Ditto on the theft issue from hostels and hotels. There is nothing more agravating than to go to the bathroom at a hostel before hitting the trail and every bit of TP had 'walked'. Geez! Talk about inconsiderate hikers!
    Turtle2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I don't agree with burning your used toilet paper. Bury it! Deep! 6" is good with a big rock thrown on top.

One of the things that really bothered me when hiking the Pyrenees and the Himalayas is that people just seemed to ***** wherever they felt the need. Very unsanitary.

We in the USA are much more advanced in this regard IMO. Let's keep it that way.
    Actually, I do both. Dig the hole as you describe (wide enough to compensate for not being able to aim well), drop a match after (reduces the bulk), then fill hole. Replace the sod if I can, and use a rock if convenient.

And wholeheartedly agree on some people's kids lack of hygene!!

I use a partial roll of TP flattened with the roll removed and pull it from the center. It stays in a quart ziplock inside a gallon ziplock along with a quart ziplock of baby butt wipes with alcohol added plus a small (one ounce?) bottle of alcohol gel. This "package" stays in the top of my pack.

Images

i plan on taking scott brand. it is septic and rv safe so it will break down faster. I could never get by with just a wet wipe. think gum in 100 degree heat on asphalt. all are not created equal

I carry the half roll of TP in a quart freezer zip lock. But I also carried the unscented baby wet naps with rubbing alcohol added in their own ziplock. You can clean your face, then hands, then whatever.........I would not burn it unless there was a really good fire going that would not leave a residue or smoulder UGH. The alcohol works as it's own sterilyzer and helps them burn quickly and completely; otherwise pack em out with the rest of the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    If you use it burn it or pack it out!!!
    Sounds like fun. I'd rather leave biodegradable waste behind if I can. Using cheap single ply helps speed that process along. Doesn't take more than 6 months to a year to biodegrade into the soil. Dig a deep hole or use a privy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Spent some time in the Sinai of Egyt...It was a great insult to touch a nomadic Bedoin with the LEFT hand....Cause thats what they used to wipe with.
    That dumb taboo always cracks me up. If it's assumed everyone's walking around with crap on their left hands, then you can probably assume it's on their other hand too. among other places. If I assume someone is covered with crap, the hand used would be of my least concern.

You're probly right.
    In that regard they're like a lot of hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I don't agree with burning your used toilet paper. Bury it! Deep! 6" is good with a big rock thrown on top.
    Burying toilet paper is not a good idea as dogs and other creatures sometimes like to dig up the freshly birthed turtleheads and eat them, thereby exposing the paper to view, etc. A better option is to collect said wipes in a ziploc and at the appropriate firepit ring burn them all together or throw them all away in the nearest garbage can when in town. Burning the paper at each cathole could be a real problem if the wind is up and the ground cover dry(dead leaves, pine needles, etc). Plus, oftimes the partially moist paper will not burn completely or it is too wet with snow or it's raining.

Who would want to use toilet paper, anyway? It's clumsy and thin. I much prefer paper towels in sheets of ten rolled up together in a tight tube and secured with a hairtie. About 25 sheets will get me thru about 15 days(Bounty used to be the fave, now I use Viva--yawn). And they perform dual purpose as snot rags, pot cleaners and sponges. One paper towel can be folded and used for two wipes-per-turtlehead, usually enough to produce a clean bunghole, etc. Oftimes a wet paper towel will result in a cleaner bunghole(info for those wishing advanced knowledge).

I buy cheap paper towels for my home, can't use them in the woods, I might as well use pine bark. From what I hear, pine bark doesnt clean that well.

Borrow a little TP from a gas station if you run out, leave at least half the roll though, Was at Galehead hut a month ago in the Whites and we had been at Guyot the night before in a rainstorm, somehow the TP for our last 2 days got very wet and unusable. When we stopped at Galehead for lunch I presented the problem to the caretaker, who was more than willing to give me a roll, of 2 ply at that, and just requested a few dollars go to the tip jar! $5 is the most I have ever spent on 1 roll of TP and I would have done it again in a heart beat vs. not having it.

Images

Have your friends and family send you half used rolls. They could even write you a letter on the paper.

TP supply is not that difficult.

Images

[quote=Blissful;687720]I'm sorry but isn't this stealing? One thing you don't want to do in towns is give hikers bad names.
    [quote]

Since so many folks have commented on this, I feel the need to respond. When I stay in a hotel or resupply at a gas station, I have no problems grabbing 8 ot 10 squares a day extra for each day till my next resupply. If I took the rest of a trial size shampoo when I has used part, would that be stealing? I'm NOT saying take the whole roll, and I purposely did not include hostels because because they are so shoe-string on budgets as it is.

If you need to carry a full roll of TP, you are truly FOS. Yes, I meant it as a pun. A roll and change lasted me my entire thru-hike.

Lighten up folks. In more ways than one.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I don't like the idea of burning toilet paper because the burning embers tend to become airborne real easy.

Panzer

Default Agreed, Panzer...

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I don't like the idea of burning toilet paper because the burning embers tend to become airborne real easy.

Panzer
    Is a questionable thing to do on dry days. A silver lining to the AT being wet half or more of the time is that the foilage is often damp enough burning wastepaper would arguably be low-risk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++