WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can people

Images

Default Can people

I was filling my car up with gas the other day. I happened to glance in the trash can and saw a can that might make a good stove. I picked it up and put it in the back of my car. It was then that I noticed a woman at the other pump with a horrified look on her face. I have become one of those can people. For shame!! Has something simular happened to anyone else?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Only the other stovies.

We always pick up aluminum cans when we find them. They are worth about 1 1/2 cents each.
    Also, less in the landfills. Why not?

Is there something wrong with picking up cans that i don't know about?

Images

No, nothing wrong with it that I know of, but you know some folks here in the US view that as deviant behavior. Of course that same crowd is likely to view hiking as deviant behavior, so I don't let that bother me too much.

Images

Not a thing wrong with it! That is as long as there is nothing wrong with me when I have dug through the trash for a plastic bottle for alcohol for my stove.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I was filling my car up with gas the other day. I happened to glance in the trash can and saw a can that might make a good stove. I picked it up and put it in the back of my car. It was then that I noticed a woman at the other pump with a horrified look on her face. I have become one of those can people. For shame!! Has something simular happened to anyone else?

I was filling up my car the other day with cans and a woman standing near by looked at me kinda funny. I told her to fire off and that the cans were spoken for. Just kidding

2 years ago while on vacation I saw a dozen or so of the JOLT energy drink cans(the one with the twist of cap) in the back of a pickup truck parked in a McDonalds parking lot. My wife and I had just finished lunch and had returned to our car. I told my wife what I had seen and said I wanted to wait for the owner of the truck to come out and I would ask if I could have the cans at salvage prices. My wife looked at me with that skringed up face and said "are you crazy!!!! She thought I was temporarilly insane. I'm true to stovie methods whatever they might be, bold is beaufiful

Images

I carry a plastic bag while running.

Ditches in the U.S. are a gold mine.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I was filling up my car the other day with cans and a woman standing near by looked at me kinda funny. I told her to fire off and that the cans were spoken for. Just kidding

2 years ago while on vacation I saw a dozen or so of the JOLT energy drink cans(the one with the twist of cap) in the back of a pickup truck parked in a McDonalds parking lot. My wife and I had just finished lunch and had returned to our car. I told my wife what I had seen and said I wanted to wait for the owner of the truck to come out and I would ask if I could have the cans at salvage prices. My wife looked at me with that skringed up face and said "are you crazy!!!! She thought I was temporarilly insane. I'm true to stovie methods whatever they might be, bold is beaufiful

OK she thinks you are crazy, but did you stick around to get the cans???

Or did you fold to the pressure?

Journal Entries
    Images

Remember to purchase the cans, Hide in the closet,- drink the contents, Then quickly cut them up when the wife isn't looking.....

Welcome to the club!

Did anyone else notice its hard to explain a large Heiny collection?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    i was in the grocery store with a tape measure measuring cans. had a project on my mind. got the strangest looks. i must of looked like the "EGG GUY" in CLERKS
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    OK she thinks you are crazy, but did you stick around to get the cans???

Or did you fold to the pressure?
    I did fold with great reluctance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Remember to purchase the cans, Hide in the closet,- drink the contents, Then quickly cut them up when the wife isn't looking.....

Welcome to the club!

Did anyone else notice its hard to explain a large Heiny collection?
    One can only drink so much red bull while in a closet before something terrible happens!!!!!

Images

Reminds me of the inspiration for the Jess Lid. The gal in the office next to mine offered me one of the LifeSavers candies from the tin and when she popped the lid off my eyes must have bugged out of my head!

I blurted out "Can I have that tin when you are done with it?!?"

Sure got a weird look and a hesitant "....yeeeessssss...."

When I was hiking the SHT a few weeks ago I met couple of guys at a campsite, they saw my cooking set up and one of them says "Your whole cookset is made from GARBAGE!"

I was so proud!

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    When I was hiking the SHT a few weeks ago I met couple of guys at a campsite, they saw my cooking set up and one of them says "Your whole cookset is made from GARBAGE!"

I was so proud!
    LOL Mine too!
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Journal Entries
    Images

My reply was " I am astounded at your power of observation" LMAO
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

My whole cook kit weighs 6 oz. and is made from cans from the recycle bins at the dump.
    Gypsy 04

Talking It's an addiction...

Soon, you will be looking at stuff in the supermarkets that you normally would never buy because it comes in a container that would make a neat little stove!

Welcome to the fraternity of stove making fanatics!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Soon, you will be looking at stuff in the supermarkets that you normally would never buy because it comes in a container that would make a neat little stove!

Welcome to the fraternity of stove making fanatics!!!
    Thanks and it's already happened. It is a slippery slope. None of my animals will eat potted meat. Nasty stuff. It is pretty sad that cat food is 15 cents more than potted meat (supposedly people food). The can is the same.

Images

Default there is a line

When you drink the liquid or eat the food in your "good find" you've crossed the line.

Marje and I donate our cans usually to the local homeless population. There is an avid group that knows the recycling schedules very well and clean house on a regular basis. Too much competition to start a business of my own

They are so good, the local supermarket with the can and bottle machines has limited them to $12 a day that they can cash in (because they have to empty the machines too often) So anyways, we keep our bottles because somehow those are "cleaner", don't ask, but every time I start saving cans Marje yells at me at tells me to stop making damn stoves the ones I have work just fine can you believe the audacity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++