WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Why would you take that photo, much less post it here?
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats what I thought too when I saw it....why did you take the picture in the first place?
    Because it was disgusting and all over the tenting area near that shelter. The shelter dwellers use the tent area as a toilet.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    OK, you've explained your own reasoning but it's still not clear why other people's shelter preferences would matter to you.
    actually, I was wondering if other people thought they were required to stay at the shelters. I ran into a Nobo in Maine who commented as such.

contentious topic?? I think that you read too much into my question. There is no hidden agenda. Keep in mind, I only have 10% of the posts that you have.

shelters are very beneficial to smart hikers. it keeps the riff-raff out of your stealth camp.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    actually, I was wondering if other people thought they were required to stay at the shelters. I ran into a Nobo in Maine who commented as such.
    Ah, OK. Well, shelters are "required" in GSMNP, and they become a de-facto requirement in other places like the Whites, unless you're skilled at stealth camping or are willing to bend the rules. There are occasional stretches of trail here and there where camping is verboten (eg. just north of Boiling Springs, PA, or in the WMNF above treeline, etc...)

contentious topic?? I think that you read too much into my question. There is no hidden agenda. Keep in mind, I only have 10% of the posts that you have.
    I haven't checked your join date, but it seems that here on WhiteBlaze, there's almost always a "shelter" thread going.

Images

Tin has a good point. I would think it a bit more secure to be at a shelter, where people are likely to see you, making "problem people" nervous, than stealthing where no one is nearby if you need some assistance.

Rusty
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

For Shelter. I thought I'd be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Tin has a good point. I would think it a bit more secure to be at a shelter, where people are likely to see you, making "problem people" nervous, than stealthing where no one is nearby if you need some assistance.

Rusty
    wrong. a gal was nearly raped in 93 in tn. cuz when she arrived at a shelter there was a dude there that made her nervous. she moved on a mile or so. she tented. the dude some hours later showed up, entered her tent and attempted rape, she fought and stabbed him in the shoulder. he fled. long story short, he was tented close by. after a few days cops caught him. he had been recently let go from prison for a rape he commited 6 years prior. i wish the young lady had a gun and not a knife

i took my brother on his first backpacking trip a week ago in Va. I asked him if he wanted to try sleeping in the shelter. he took one look at the shelter and said: "**** that. i brought this tent along for a reason. why would i want to stay in a dirty shelter? let's camp." i was so proud. he even suggested bringing some Jack.

Journal Entries
    Images

Asking why some people enjoy sleeping in shelters is like asking why Scottish men like wearing skirts.....

yes I am Scottish, I just haven't converted yet.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Ah, OK. Well, shelters are "required" in GSMNP, and they become a de-facto requirement in other places like the Whites, unless you're skilled at stealth camping or are willing to bend the rules. There are occasional stretches of trail here and there where camping is verboten (eg. just north of Boiling Springs, PA, or in the WMNF above treeline, etc...)
    I camped in the Whites in July and was perfectly legal. Below treeline, away from the trail and away from the huts. It was either Carter Mt or Moriah. I can't remember. It was too early in the day to stop at Imp.

The best part about shelters is providing a haven on rainy days & nights. I've lost count of how many times I've arrived late afternoon at a shelter minutes before a drenching thunderstorm - twice on last years Long Trail hike. Generally while hiking when lots of other hikers are out there, I tent in the shelter areas even if there's space; in addition to reasons cited by others, I snore (so I've been told) and don't want to disrupt others' sleep.

I like a lot of off-season hiking and use the shelters then.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I camped in the Whites in July and was perfectly legal. Below treeline, away from the trail and away from the huts. It was either Carter Mt or Moriah. I can't remember. It was too early in the day to stop at Imp.
    That's pretty near the north end of the what I'd call "The Whites." The sections that are tricky for camping are from Rte. 93 to Rte. 16, more or less. Beautiful views from Imp Shelter, as I recall. Rattle River shelter is nice also -- at least, the location.

Quote Originally Posted by flush2wice View Post
    they Are Also Prime Mudsnake Habitat. This Is At The Roan High Knob Shelter.
    Attachment 4664
    Exactly!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wrong. a gal was nearly raped in 93 in tn. cuz when she arrived at a shelter there was a dude there that made her nervous. she moved on a mile or so. she tented. the dude some hours later showed up, entered her tent and attempted rape, she fought and stabbed him in the shoulder. he fled. long story short, he was tented close by. after a few days cops caught him. he had been recently let go from prison for a rape he commited 6 years prior. i wish the young lady had a gun and not a knife
    It could easily be the other way around; perhaps he didn't stay at the shelter because other people arrived and he moved on to near where she was, and if she had stayed at the shelter, she would not have been assaulted. No one can no for sure. But she was hardly safer for not having been at the shelter. And one event - however tragic - 15 years ago doesn't prove shelters unsafe.

People should just be their own judge of what feels safe to themselves.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    It could easily be the other way around; perhaps he didn't stay at the shelter because other people arrived and he moved on to near where she was, and if she had stayed at the shelter, she would not have been assaulted. No one can no for sure. But she was hardly safer for not having been at the shelter. And one event - however tragic - 15 years ago doesn't prove shelters unsafe.

People should just be their own judge of what feels safe to themselves.

TW
    whatever. you can simplify anything. too many women have been raped and murdered walking the AT. all thistalk about" you're better off on the AT than in a city" is BS. my opinion

Images

That picture demonstrates lazy disgusting behavior by the mud snakes makers. When when we tented we found ourselves in a nest of doggie do near Jerry Cabin where we tried to cook dinner just across from the shelter.
    There are always going to be people that are inconsidereate and too lazy to go do their business in the woods or take a pet to do the same. The same folks who thow their trash out of their car window. Sef centered kids or total idiots. Ugh, I just crossed that shelter off. Well...unless I was freezing to death.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Well am glad I can across this tread, I live in CA and I the John Muir Trail and planing to hike the AT in 2013 was wondering about if we had to stay in the shelters, I would rather go as far as I can each day. So from what I pick found am just planing to get my water and eat my meals then find my place to spend the night

Images

Go to shelters to watch the people. It is like a trail zoo.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

If one has started before life gets too crowded on the trail, sometimes a shelter can be the only time you see people in a given day. Some of us require more human contact than others, lol.

Journal Entries

As Marta said. Shelters are convenient. And also fun. It's nice to chat with new people, while thru hiking -- especially section hikers. I meet thru hikers again and again. The interesting new folks I meet tend to be those who are out for a week or two -- the construction worker between jobs. The school teacher who wants to get into social work, the social worker who wants to get into teaching ....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++