WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alcohol Stove for Small Pot

Hey guys and gals. I've been experimenting with building alcohol stoves and am wondering what people think would be the best model for a small pot. I've been building side burner models using Pepsi cans with Red Bull inner chambers. They work but don't seem efficent for my .7L Snow Peak trek 700 pot. Any suggestions would be great. If anyone else is using an alky stove with that pot please enlighten me about your setup and how it works. Thanks.

Opened up a can worms again. just go to you tube look up [ alcohol stoves ] or go to my videos the tomato juice stove my be the one for you seach [RJBURG ] thats me

Heres the best model I found in my youtube searches... hope it helps... here's a pic of mine in action too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt8mNOP2b0

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...&cutoffdate=-1

The Caldera Cone works great for the SP700.

Images

The SP 700 is only 3 3/4 inches diameter. Not a good candidate for most soda can stoves or sideburner stoves because the flame pattern is too wide and/or subject to wild fluctuations.

The Ion is a very effecient stove if you are patient.

A Starlyte if you are impatient.

Also, Oops has lots of stoves on Youtube to choose from if you want to build your own.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Skidsteer designed a really neat one for small pots:

The PMS Stove(Potted Meat Stove)

He also designed this one called the Budweiser Turbo Stove for Heineken pots

Images

Don't forget the solidly built Trangia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Too big for a 3 3/4" diameter pot. The flame pattern would be overkill and the stock stands for Trangia are a bit too large.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I use the Evernew 0.9 Liter Ti pot and the Trangia. Good combination and I would imagine the Trangia would work just as well with a smaller pot.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I use the Evernew 0.9 Liter Ti pot and the Trangia. Good combination and I would imagine the Trangia would work just as well with a smaller pot.

'Slogger
    That's a 5 1/2" diameter pot; perfect size for a Trangia.
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Hey guys and gals. I've been experimenting with building alcohol stoves and am wondering what people think would be the best model for a small pot. Thanks.
    He's interested in building one, a DIY type. After he builds one or two of those we'll show him how to make a DIY trangia type. There are a few of those around here.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    He's interested in building one, a DIY type. After he builds one or two of those we'll show him how to make a DIY trangia type. There are a few of those around here.
    I thought you was cleaning out your garage

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    I thought you was cleaning out your garage
    I was on my lunch break, eating and keyboarding at same time.

So I've been fiddling around and have come to the conclusion the best method with the SP700 is the most basic model. Two bottoms of a pepsi can with no inner chamber. Just the straight up single bowl with one large central opening. Of course this needs a pot stand with which boiling two cups of water worked very well. Started to boil after 7 minutes and was boiling great when the HEET burned up after about 10-12. I took the pot stand from a Coleman multi-fuel stove and it works excellent on top of the can, although it probabley weighs more than the stove itself. What the heck though, it's only about an ounce. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to carry both an alcohol and cannister stove on my thru, giving me the option of choosing between fuels along the way, depending on availability and what not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jah View Post
    So I've been fiddling around and have come to the conclusion the best method with the SP700 is the most basic model. Two bottoms of a pepsi can with no inner chamber. Just the straight up single bowl with one large central opening. Of course this needs a pot stand with which boiling two cups of water worked very well. Started to boil after 7 minutes and was boiling great when the HEET burned up after about 10-12. I took the pot stand from a Coleman multi-fuel stove and it works excellent on top of the can, although it probabley weighs more than the stove itself. What the heck though, it's only about an ounce.
    Great. If you like that design, build the same stove using a V-8 or Redbull can. You'll use less fuel because the stove diameter is a better match for the pot diameter.
    Skids

++ New Posts ++