Default sports bra for hiking

Can anyone recommend a good wicking sports bra? I have tried many different brands, but they do not wick or dry as quickly as my other dry/tech type clothing. I usually take it off at night along with my day clothes and only sleep and relax in my night clothes. In the cool early mornings, the sports bra is still damp. Burrrr

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had the same problem but did better when I kept it in my sleeping bag, esp if it was cold the next AM.

Although this is not a sport bra, I have been wearing Barely There I got from JC Penny in hot weather. Its been drying nicely on me when I get in air conditioning after being out, unlike the cotton ones.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Although i usually chuck the bra in the woods and just go natural, the barely there is a great one for drying over night. Most of the sports bras are double layers and just will not dry. Also it helps if you can rinse out the sweat. If the bra is soaked in sweat even if you dry it in the heat of the afternoon, if left out during the evening it will attract moisture and be wet in the morning, as will your shirt and pants.

Also depending on the time of year if you leave your shirt and bra on, put on your rain coat while you cook and eat dinner, the heat your body will produce will dry your shirt and bra. Then after dinner take off the day clothes and put on your camp/sleep clothes.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

2010 complete

I like the under armour bra for backpacking. It stays dry, just like the under armour short sleeve shirt that I wear. It's not a supportive bra for sports like running, but it is my classic gear for hiking.

I also put my clothes(not socks) in my sleeping bag with me at night. Never wet and cold.

Sports bras bruise my collar bone. I've tried so many different ones and they all do it. I've recently been hiking in a Body by Victoria Infinity Edge unlined full coverage bra from Victoria's Secret. It's really lightweight spandex/nylon, so it does wick away moisture, but it is not as restricting as a sports bra in my opinion.

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ZZZ&rfnbr=3417
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Images

i tried the uni-boob my first long hike, besides hating the uni-boob, also had rubbing issues (i have big girls and can't go all natural), during a short section i just decided to wear my plain cotton underwire bra from lane bryant ( http://www.lanebryant.com/pagebuilde...262&pagesize=3 ), its one layer of fabric so it dried out quicker and no issues, so thats what i used for my second long section... worked much better: simple, supportive, fit me well, the girls never complained
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Patagonia. NOT the regular sports bra looking one, I hated that, it is super super tight and thicker fabric.

But I like the teeny ones. If you don't need a lot of support, that is.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...=32301-020&ws=

Images

I wear the Patagonia Camisole with built in Bra. I love it, but am looking at trying the ExOfficio Cami-Give N go shelf bra version. It is like the ExOfficio 6 wk underwear of which I swear by. Either one works great. When I get to camp I take it off and hang it to dry out. Works great!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Domestic Goddess

One thing I've noticed was that during my first few long distance backpacking trips, I used a "sports bra" because I thought I would need to impact assistance for my rather well-endowed chest...however, in looking back on all my trips, I eventually did switch to a comfortable lane bryant synthetic full coverage underwire...worked like a charm in 2005 on the trail. They don't make the one I was wearing anymore but I'd say since you aren't RUNNING, it's not about squishing (the heavier kind that then doesn't dry out by morning) but about comfort...go light and airy!!!

However, when I got to the Smokies on my AT hike, everything was frozen overnight--including my bra...I just sucked it up and put the frozen one on and it warmed RIGHT up as I hiked. It's just a little bit of uncomfort to not have to pack a million bras.

I hope that made sense. I'm on vacation at OBX and might not be writing full sentences.

Muchas Smoochas,
    RG

Thanks girls, for all the help with my "girls." MY AB's (okay, A's) don't necessarily need support as coverage. I have thought abut going natural but at 54 .....

Images

weighing in late on this one, but.... I'm an "A" too (sometimes I think I'm more like the trainer bra Mom bought from Sears when I was 14, but anyway)...tried regular bras but they's uncomfortable and underwires just suck on a trail. I tried the sports bras, cheapies at $12 to the high-priced wicking superwoman $45 varieties. They don't dry. They're still too much "support" unless I'm running. I've done braless too, but it's just looks like I've smuggled two fried eggs with marbles sunk in the middle under my shirts. So I'm now trying the tank/camisole route, including those without the built-in shelf bra. It's layering. It's lightweight. It's cheap ($8 to $10 at Wet Seal).

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

In the 'needs support' category--I always wear underwires and feel lost without them. I hate the uniboob, too. The bras I wear everyday are the ones I wear hiking as well--underwires, tricot or microfiber or polyester cups and stretch side/back panels. If I can wear them all day at work they do just fine backpacking. I especially enjoy stretchy cups while hiking, because I can't get away with them at work unless I have a heavy shirt or sweater on. I will NOT wear cotton bras or underbritches--I want wicking. Camisoles don't offer enough support.

My latest favorite new bra came from Walmart, since Bali stopped making my all-time favorite, the Shoulder Spa, in satin finish. They only make cotton now--nein, danke!

Frau

Images

I use a camisole - one I bought at Target for just a few dollars and one that is a pricey North Face - that serves me well. I can't wear sports bras because 1)they make me itch and get a rash from too much spandex and 2)when I try to put them on, unless they are way too big for me, they roll up and get all scrunched and infuriate me. I can wear the cami by itself and it covers just enough of my tummy and sides, and I wear it under a button front shirt (keep the shirt open) in town stops. In camp I take it off and just pull on my poly long sleeved top braless. Can't wear UnderArmour at all - its shot full of silver nitrate to absorb odors. I'm allergic to silver and UA makes my skin feel like I have a thousand needles stabbing me. My husband isn't allergic but he has the same problem with UA and can't wear it. Oh, and "girls" wise, I'm a 38 C. The camis are very flattering on me.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Best sports bra I've tried to date that doesn't bruise my shoulders, due to my pack and my C cup size is the Ex Officio sports bra. I'm not sure the exact name, but if you cruise their site, it is the one advertised for not smelling for up to 6 weeks, or something like that, without changing it. It is a great wicking material, dries quickly as well, and I do not know I am wearing it--which is a huge change for me.

gum

I also thing it's important to make sure you're wearing the right bra size. Some rediculous percentage of women wear the wrong bra size.

I was just lucky enough to meet someone who knew a lot about bra fitting, and have been so much more comfortable now that my girls are wearing the right size.

The Danskin sports bras from WalMart dry very quickly, and they are lightly padded, which I like since I don't get as much 'show through'.

I tested the TRIKini tank from SkirtSports for BackpackGearTest.org this summer, which is a tank with a built in shelf bra & I really liked it. I am thinking I will have a hard time going back to sports bras for backpacking trips now.

Journal Entries

As a pretty solid B cup, I would want some support but I do like the idea of not using a sports bra. It makes sense. The ones I have are thick and trap air in between leaving me soaked around there. I saw some awesome bras online. This one has vents in the spot I'm referring to. https://www.sportiva.com/captive-top.html

I might just ditch the sports bras altogether though. We will have to see what they have at TJ Maxx. Yay, Shopping!

I am loving the comfort of the Patagonia Barely Sports Bra, It doesn’t have an underwire but provides good support. I love this one.

(Caveat...It’s a pullover bra and I haven’t tested it yet when super hot and sweaty. Neither have I attempted to put it on or remove when inside my sleeping bag.)

LarWat
    Journal Entries

I'm currently OBSESSED with my exofficio give-n-go bra. It's super lightweight and has a barely-there feel (a lot of sports bras leave me feeling constrained and like I can't breathe). Plus it's moisture-wicking and scent reducing. That being said, I'm a 32 B on a good day, so I don't need much support. It's also got a cross wrap kind of design, which surprisingly my boobs don't fall out of. I'm unsure how other peoples' would work in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasgirl View Post
    weighing in late on this one, but.... I'm an "A" too (sometimes I think I'm more like the trainer bra Mom bought from Sears when I was 14, but anyway)...tried regular bras but they's uncomfortable and underwires just suck on a trail. I tried the sports bras, cheapies at $12 to the high-priced wicking superwoman $45 varieties. They don't dry. They're still too much "support" unless I'm running. I've done braless too, but it's just looks like I've smuggled two fried eggs with marbles sunk in the middle under my shirts. So I'm now trying the tank/camisole route, including those without the built-in shelf bra. It's layering. It's lightweight. It's cheap ($8 to $10 at Wet Seal).
    What I would give to be an A cup. You wouldn’t pay me enough to wear a bra if I didn’t have to wear one!

++ New Posts ++