WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Angry Vandalism makes me angry!

Yesterday, I was walking on the Russell White Nature Trail in Carroll County, Iowa. It is an interesting trail! It used to be a railroad track, but the rails and ties were removed and the bridge across the Raccoon River was converted to a foot bridge with handrails. The trail is as straight as an arrow and very level. It is only 2.5 miles long, but I like it.

As I was hiking along, I noticed something red about 1/2 a mile up the trail. I realized that it was a tent, set up right in front of the bridge. I thought that it was a little weird, hey, I will just walk around it and continue on. As I got around it, I saw that whoever was camping there had made a large campfire right in the middle of the trail, leaving behind a huge pile of ashes. Tossed in the ashes was a can of spraypaint. And then I saw the bridge... graffiti all over it. Someone had also ripped down ALL of the hand rails on the bridge as well. I was not happy at all, but I got out of there and crossed the bridge rather quickly... I didn't want to run into any drunken teens, or anyone else who was strong enough to do that kind of damage. I saw a white pickup truck sitting at Hobb's Access, which can be seen from the bridge, but I really did not want to run into anyone, so I did not go get the license plate #; I am wishing now that I did.

Anyhow, I finished walking to the end of the trail, but instead of walking back the same way, I took the road, just to avoid that whole situation. When I got back home, I wanted to call the police, but I didn't.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    When I got back home, I wanted to call the police, but I didn't. [/INDENT]
    Apparently it doesn't make you angry enough. You should call the cops and tell them what you saw.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    Yesterday, I was walking on the Russell White Nature Trail in Carroll County, Iowa. It is an interesting trail! It used to be a railroad track, but the rails and ties were removed and the bridge across the Raccoon River was converted to a foot bridge with handrails. The trail is as straight as an arrow and very level. It is only 2.5 miles long, but I like it.

As I was hiking along, I noticed something red about 1/2 a mile up the trail. I realized that it was a tent, set up right in front of the bridge. I thought that it was a little weird, hey, I will just walk around it and continue on. As I got around it, I saw that whoever was camping there had made a large campfire right in the middle of the trail, leaving behind a huge pile of ashes. Tossed in the ashes was a can of spraypaint. And then I saw the bridge... graffiti all over it. Someone had also ripped down ALL of the hand rails on the bridge as well. I was not happy at all, but I got out of there and crossed the bridge rather quickly... I didn't want to run into any drunken teens, or anyone else who was strong enough to do that kind of damage. I saw a white pickup truck sitting at Hobb's Access, which can be seen from the bridge, but I really did not want to run into anyone, so I did not go get the license plate #; I am wishing now that I did.
    Anyhow, I finished walking to the end of the trail, but instead of walking back the same way, I took the road, just to avoid that whole situation. When I got back home, I wanted to call the police, but I didn't.
    Old saying- you can't make chicken salad out of chicken S***. Do the right thing at the right time and have no regrets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Apparently it doesn't make you angry enough. You should call the cops and tell them what you saw.
    agreed. posting here does little to help, call the appropriate authorities.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Hey it's not too late to report it. It was only yesterday, maybe red tent/vandalling guy is still out there.

Graffiti artists usually strike more than once.

Maybe the authorities are already on the look out for this person.
    Don't celebrate until the check clears.

The squeeky wheel gets the oil. Make out a report with the police so that they know about it.
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Ok. Called the police this morning. Whoever did it is probably long gone, but you never know... high school doesn't start back up until Wednesday, so if it was some dumb teenagers, they might still be around.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Images

i hate thiefs and vandalsneo

Vandalism and trash are two pretty serious problems on the trail.

Not sure twhat the solution is but speaking up helps.

Images

I will never understand the motivation for people to brag about their own stupidity. One constant I have found in every situation: the more accessible an area is, the more vandals will seek to defame. That's why I try to avoid the beaten path (also hate it when people walk up on me in the woods while I'm having a conversation with myself. I do that a lot )
    "Only in the woods can one find solitude without loneliness."-Robert Traver
    Flickr

Images

Glad that you reported the vandalism. Whoever did it may get busted vandalizing something else with the same kind of paint and truck or graffiti and your report may be the only way that the connection can be made and restitution can be made. Some of these folks spill their guts when caught or one of their buddies rats them out or their angry boyfriend or girlfriend makes a call. Sometimes they catch them, sometimes they don't, but getting the ball rolling makes a difference.

++ New Posts ++