WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default VT hikers can learn a lesson from Johnny Thunder

Anyone who is hitching in VT can learn something from Johnny's recent experience. Apparently Rte 7 (the road that connects Bennington- Manchester Ctr- Rutland- Burlington) is considered a highway by the VT State police and it is illegal to hitch on this road. This is news to me and I live off of Rte 7. He received a written warning and was told that if he gets caught again he will be arrested for vagrancy and a number of other things. He is now attempting to hitch by standing near the on ramp with a sign.

Good luck Johnny!
    "There are people who plan and people who do, I'm a doer."

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default 23 Vsa 1056

Quote Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
    He is now attempting to hitch by standing near the on ramp
    According to 23 VSA 1056:

Vermont law states that no one may hitchhike in the roadway, but this does NOT include the shoulder of the road. Stay off the asphalt and do not enter any highway that has a sign prohibiting pedestrians.

A Roadway is that portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic, exclusive of the shoulder.

You didn't say where JT was hitchin', but from the sounds of it, he was on that portion of U.S. 7 which is posted with signs prohibiting pedestrians. I've seen these signs near both Bennington and Manchester on the new U.S.7 not the old U.S. 7.
    MrsG

Angewrite and I have had this discussion before, though it was about PA roads. Their statute has the same wording. The trick, assuming you've memorized the statute, is not to argue with the officer to the point where s/he runs you in. You may be able to convince the judge but how long might your hike be delayed in order to get that chance?

I know that in Vermont, as in CT, there are sections of Rte 7 which are limited access, and I agree - you'd be better off standing near an on-ramp.

I made it to Manchester by way of 7A...which, thankfully, the officer pointed out was just west of US 7 by about 100 yards. At this point Burlington is out for this evening.

As it happened I was walking up the on-ramp that connects the Northern end of Bennington to the highway. I was still on the on-ramp when the officer pulled over. I didn't see any "No Pedestrians" signs anywhere but the on-ramp was under construction so relevant signage might have been removed.

The officer was nice but told me that if I was ever caught again I'd be arrested for Vagrancy or Public Nuisance. Oh well, you learn.

Johnny Thunder is currently curled up in the fetal position at the hostel, rocking back and forth, mumbling something about never hitching again...

JT, I love you. You pay no never mind to the police officer. If it happens again, I will write to you often while you are in jail.
    Two Beers.

Images

He can put the written warning in his scrap book as a souvenir.

Panzer

yeah and unfortunately a lot of State Police take their job really seriously. You'd think they'd at least drop a hiker off somewhere. Yeah, no hitching on Rt. 7. It's the "highway"

Quote Originally Posted by grnmtngirl View Post
    You'd think they'd at least drop a hiker off somewhere. Yeah, no hitching on Rt. 7. It's the "highway"
    why? hikers make a choice to be out walking. state troopers aren't a taxi service

bacon could have prevented all of this.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why? hikers make a choice to be out walking. state troopers aren't a taxi service
    While I agree wholeheartely: I was out in Calif on the PCT and trying to hitch into Idlewilde from around 20 miles away when I spotted a Patrol Car. I didn't know the Ca laws on HH, figured I was gonna get hasseled, the Cop pulls over and asks me where I'm headed. I answered and he says (I almost keeled over) "You from Brooklyn" I said yes and he gave me a door to door ride. Turns out his GPs were from there.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I guess Rudi Giuliani never got that memo... Oh wait, that was the NYPD.

I have had two meetings with the VT troopers,one good,one bad. Like JT I received a written warning,the trooper was polite about it. Gave me a good long speech and drove off. The good meeting was strange. I got the speech and then he says hop in I will get you out of here(near Burlington,I was heading to NY),we head up the highway and he pulls a trucker over and asks him to give me a ride. I thought that was pretty cool. The trucker took me to Swanton where he was dropping his load of feed. That was years ago,I don't hitch in VT anymore.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    While I agree wholeheartely: I was out in Calif on the PCT and trying to hitch into Idlewilde from around 20 miles away when I spotted a Patrol Car. I didn't know the Ca laws on HH, figured I was gonna get hasseled, the Cop pulls over and asks me where I'm headed. I answered and he says (I almost keeled over) "You from Brooklyn" I said yes and he gave me a door to door ride. Turns out his GPs were from there.
    Haha, awesome story. About 6 of us got rides back to the PCT in 2 squad cars from Mojave. One of the hikers somehow set up the rides. The area is notoriously not hitchhiker friendly.

Although we weren't allowed to take pictures of them or the cars
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

++ New Posts ++