WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open!

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    There aren't separate guides for WV and MD. The complete set of guides can often be purchased directly from ATC at a discount late in the calendar year. Information about the guide books available on ATC's A.T. Guidebooks and Maps page.
    Fiddlehead is talking about the Delorme Gazetteers for the best approach of laterally getting off trail to seek help in case of emergency.

PS Fiddlehead, love the quote!

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    There aren't separate guides for WV and MD. The complete set of guides can often be purchased directly from ATC at a discount late in the calendar year. Information about the guide books available on ATC's A.T. Guidebooks and Maps page.
    I checked but didn't see the DeLorme Gazetteers on their website. Only the ATC Guidebooks and maps.

Thanks Sly. I use that one on the Phuket forum here. (gotta keep them Germans in line somtimes)
    I'd take it a little easier on the guy if he'd stop calling me stupid.

Jeez he probably gets his topos out to drive to the shootin range

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open!
    Ironic that TAK always points out how many times he's jumped.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    The one thing that always amazed me were the sudden interest in maps whenever a map carrier pulled one out and opened it up. Like flys the non-map carriers were! Kind of comical really.
    This is my observation, too.
    Frosty

Yeah, and 99.9% of the time a map carrier pulled one out it was completely unnecessary.

I'm goin to bed. I'm getting nothing done lately with my work cause whiteblaze is too exciting. But tomorrow morning i'm going hiking to show our drummer the trail i've been working on. (I have now hiked about 8 miles which took me 7 days)

Anyway, just to keep it on topic, i'll try to map it out for the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, and 99.9% of the time a map carrier pulled one out it was completely unnecessary.
    same with water filter carriers

Truly, this site was more interesting and more informative when the bozos and flamers were running amok than now with the know-it-alls calling those who disagree with their hiking methods "stupid".

The logic of needing a map in an emergency doesn't make any sense. If you are too hurt to move a map will be of no help. If you can move, you can hike the AT. The number of spots and the number of miles you might cut off by taking an unmarked blue-blaze to a road are so insignificant in number that a cost/benefit analysis of carrying maps the entire way could certainly fall in favor of not carrying maps.

Or maybe, only carry maps in certain spots. What the hell do you need a map for on the BRP or in the Shenandoahs? Or anywhere from WV to MA where you cross a road nearly every 3-5 miles?

Some may take maps, others may not. Neither is determinative of who is or isn't "stupid". But I think we all can tell who amongst us is just plain rude and ignorant. And if there is any doubt, it is you Take-a-knee. In the future, refrain from calling others "stupid".

And mods, if you want to see things get out of hand, let "stupid" comments fly. In my experience, nothing will set a person off more than calling them "stupid". It is uncalled for, unncessary and just plain ignorant.
    Yahtzee

Geezer

Nobody seems to be mentioning the fact that the ATC maps that (I believe) most carry don't show much outside of the AT corridor.
    From what i remember, they show a few miles on either side of the trail and that's about it.
    They show enough. When I needed to bail south of Bemis Mtn, they showed me that the side trail I was considering was actually longer than the AT to the next road.

I assume the comments about gazetteers was an attempt at sarcasm? You weren't serious, were you?

If you were serious, consider a mapping GPS, like the Garmin60. For 8 or 9 ounces you have more maps at your disposal hike than all the Gazetteers.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Truly, this site was more interesting and more informative when the bozos and flamers were running amok than now with the know-it-alls calling those who disagree with their hiking methods "stupid".

The logic of needing a map in an emergency doesn't make any sense. If you are too hurt to move a map will be of no help. If you can move, you can hike the AT. The number of spots and the number of miles you might cut off by taking an unmarked blue-blaze to a road are so insignificant in number that a cost/benefit analysis of carrying maps the entire way could certainly fall in favor of not carrying maps.

Or maybe, only carry maps in certain spots. What the hell do you need a map for on the BRP or in the Shenandoahs? Or anywhere from WV to MA where you cross a road nearly every 3-5 miles?

Some may take maps, others may not. Neither is determinative of who is or isn't "stupid". But I think we all can tell who amongst us is just plain rude and ignorant. And if there is any doubt, it is you Take-a-knee. In the future, refrain from calling others "stupid".

And mods, if you want to see things get out of hand, let "stupid" comments fly. In my experience, nothing will set a person off more than calling them "stupid". It is uncalled for, unncessary and just plain ignorant.
    report the post. easy to do

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Disagree strongly here. There is a wide range of injuries between being hurt so badly you are immobile and being unhurt.

The difference of a few miles is huge if you have broken a leg or foot, if you have been bitten by an animal you fear might be rabid, if you have an injury that permits walking but is extremely painful, if you have just suffered a heart attack or any injury where time to treatment is important, etc etc etc.

Also disagree with your statement that there are few side trails off the AT. THere are many - if you had a map, you would know this

There is also the case of bad weather above treeline, especially in shoulder seasons.

Maps for bailout are like car insurance, as someone said. Something you have that you hope you never need. Or life insurance, for that matter.
    Frosty

It's just a piece of paper. Chill out people.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Fiddlehead is talking about the Delorme Gazetteers for the best approach of laterally getting off trail to seek help in case of emergency.
    I checked [SOG's ATC link] but didn't see the DeLorme Gazetteers on their website. Only the ATC Guidebooks and maps.
    OK, I re-read fiddlehead's post and now understand why his total number of guides didn't match the number I expected! Still, my link is of use to readers who desire to learn more about ATC's guidebooks and may want to purchase one or more of them.

I don't post strictly and at times not even primarily for the benefit of members participating in threads. After all, it's often those not posting who stand to benefit most from what's posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It's just a piece of paper. Chill out people.
    Just a piece of paper? I can guess what side of the debate you're on!

Paper can come in handy...

Sshhh, I'm a map advocate really. But all this has been covered and usually ends up with people arguing.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

You don't need to carry a map, just carry one of those reliable "SPOT" devices in case of emergency!!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    You don't need to carry a map, just carry one of those reliable "SPOT" devices in case of emergency!!!

Ooh....in light of how well that has been working...that's good. Too funny...

Wonder if SPOT will sponsor WB hikers?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++