WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Thanks for the info Bluebearee.

Kirby

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    Yes, Barley and Rain were the last, getting up the mountain last Tuesday before snow fell that night and shut it down. For the season? Don't know yet, but safe to say they were the last. We know we missed some folks the last full week of camping as some left due to flights, etc and others came in and out of town, up to then, the #s were right on target with 05 and 06 which ended ~500.

Remember folks, these are hikers who upon arriving in BSP are asked if they hiked from GA. We don't audit that. Some who skipped sections may say yes. Of those, they may submit to the ATC and vice versa. It's an inexact science and in the end, does it really matter?

Thanks for another great season in the shadow of Katahdin. I had a marvelous last climb myself last Monday, truly had the mountain to myself.
    Congrats on another successful hiker season and the chance to have Katahdin to yourself!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    to WhiteBlaze, Barley&Rain! #471 was the last of a group back on 10/14, and #472 was a solo on 10/16 - it sure was a quiet week at Baxter before your summit!
    Congrats!

First Post ever on Whiteblaze--Not a big hiker but a HUGE hiker supporter. #472 solo hiker was my husband who finished his thru-hike on Oct. 16. Congrats to him and all the other thru-hikers!

Images

Congrats to all. Any idea who was No. 1 or No. 2. Great job Vargas.

Quote Originally Posted by AtGroupie View Post
    First Post ever on Whiteblaze--Not a big hiker but a HUGE hiker supporter. #472 solo hiker was my husband who finished his thru-hike on Oct. 16.
    to WhiteBlaze!
    Mike, his name was? We spoke a little bit about it being the last day of camping at BSP.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Did anyone meet a hiker named "D and D"? I was told he finished at the start of the month.

Kirby

Not sure if it's the same hiker, but I hiked with a "D & D" for awhile. "Dirty & Deranged". Went by "Double D" by the time we were in VA. He was on a tight budget and was several weeks ahead of me by the time I finished. So he most likely finished early to mid September. He was planning to live in Maine afterwards.

Images

I leap frogged with Double D for a while in NH and ME...should've finished a couple days after me..(I summited 9/11).

He finished. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Yeah, he's livin in Portland now, as am I. Good guy.

-Fester

I agree that the patch or certificate are more like nice reminders/memories than a resume or bragging point, for many of us. A lot of people like to be negative toward those who choose to get the certificate, but why? There isn't anything wrong with having that up on your wall or in an album, just like many people display photos, maps, etc. It's part of the fun, even if it is more for "you" than for others. For that matter, if you want to put it where others can see it or enjoy it, who cares! Not like earning it was always easy; there's nothing wrong with being proud of what you've done, and having a reminder of it.

After I summitted, I went back and did two short stretches that I missed, so I would feel - for myself - that I did it honestly. Then I sent in for my certificate - for my mom, and others like her who supported me and I know would like the memory, too. After all, few of us do this completely alone.

I think there are a lot of good reasons to get the patch and certificate. I think it is fine to choose not to also. But don't get down on others, whatever their choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Thanks for putting things in perspective. I like looking at my map and my pictures. All the completion papers and patches I have collected are in a box somewhere. But I think you have hit on the most important thing here - the memories and the friends you make are worth a heck of a lot more than all the collectibles you store.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Anyone seen Slow Barbara?
    Way late on this, sorry. I met Slow Barbara a few times near Damascus. This fall I went to SNP for a week and read her entrie in the register at I believe Rock Spring Hut. She was discouraged about a lost or stolen hiking pole. In a very brief post script she said that she was going to leave the trail. Don't know if she did or not.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++