WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Big 4

ULA Conduit..................... 20.0 oz
    TarpTent Contrail.............. 24.5 oz
    Mont-Bell SS DownHugger... 18.0 oz
    GG NightLight Torso............. 3.5 oz
    Total.............................. 66.0 oz or 4 lb 2 oz
    Last edited by Quoddy; 06-24-2007 at 11:05.

Soon to be:

MLD Zip pack 10.8 oz
    MLD Grace Solo Sil.tarp 8.8 oz + 4oz for stakes & cords?
    BMW Cocoon 180 quilt 20oz
    Ti. Goat bivy 10.8 oz
    GG. nightlight pad 8.0 oz

Total= 3.675 lbs

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Everyone says to try and reduce the weight of the big four to lightest, based upon what works for YOU!
    If "everyone" says that then why are the majority of long haul packs made by the major manufacturers all in the 4-6 pound range?
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    If "everyone" says that then why are the majority of long haul packs made by the major manufacturers all in the 4-6 pound range?
    America loves excess. Same reason most still buy vehicles 4 times the size they require as gas prices promise to creep into the 4 dollar range. It is not necessary but they just wanna be sure. That is who the manufacturers are marketing to.

Images

They're in it to make MONEY. Not serve backpackers' actual needs. That's why small independent passionate companies are producing most of the cutting edge gear right now. It's about passion, not money. See ULA, Gossamer Gear, Nunatak, Trail Designs, Vargo, Tarptent, Bozeman Mountain Works, Anti Gravity Gear, and Fanatic Fringe------to name but a few of the truly passionate and innovative.

GlazeDog

I think many people like myself are experimenting to see how light they can go, and not go.

Myself, I'm not into trying to beat out anyone else, to be the lightest, I just like to tinker with my kit, and see what I can do with and without?

I've gone back and forth with a tarp, and now I want to try and go strictly with a tarp/bivy/quilt set-up.

Also, when the weather forecast looks good, and for doing a short trip, I'd like to go with just a bivy, without a tarp. (3 day weekend type trips)

I don't even know if I'll like the pack I've ordered as it has a small winged hip-belt and no mesh on the back panel. But thats the price you pay with going to a 10 oz pack?

I'll actually use this light-weight pack for trips under 4 days and my ULA Catalyst for longer trips.

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GlazeDog View Post
    They're in it to make MONEY. Not serve backpackers' actual needs. That's why small independent passionate companies are producing most of the cutting edge gear right now.
    GlazeDog
    That`s not true at all...All of the major manufacturers have experimented with lighter weight designs and rejected them...What you are calling "cutting edge" has been tried for years and years and discarded...If in fact the mainline companies only cared about making money then they would be cranking out ultra-light packs by the 1000`s as that is what most people today seem to gravite towards..They don`t because they have long standing reputations and won`t put their name on packs they know are not up to snuff as far as load handling ability...The packs people do buy and use from bigger name makers and use for "ultra-light" hiking these companies list as only 2 or 3 day packs..That way people like Gregory can tap into the ultra-light trend and still cover themselves since they aren`t suggesting that particular pack for any sort of longer haul trips....To be honest it is those smaller independent companies who are in it to make the quick money as they stick up a finger and see which way the current trend is blowing and produce items that cater to that market and don`t care that it`s not the correct configuration that they are selling it to perform....Trust me those small passionate companies have always been out there and they come and go as the market dictates...The next time you are looking at gear just ask yourself..If this is such a good idea then why isn`t everyone doing it???........The whole Ultra-light thing was started as a way for experienced, seasoned outdoorsman and survivalists to push their limits..It was never intended as a means for inexperienced non-physically fit hikers to get out there by carrying 18 pounds of gear when in fact they need more gear than someone who`s use to the rigors of the outdoors...But again I can`t fight 15 years of high priced mass marketing so I say go buy those 2 pound backpacks and have a wonderful time
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Images

Programbo--
    I never said what I called "cutting edge"---you are assuming things. Can you name one instance where a main stream company used for instance spinnaker nylon? Good luck! How about MSR's alcohol stove they sell for $15---It doesn't exist. Prove me wrong with REAL EXAMPLES.
    Maybe because their bottom line would evaporate if selling tarps for $100 instead of tents for $250 or more---and alcie stoves for $15 instead of white gas stoves for $100. The numbers and REAL EXAMPLES don't lie. Also please give me a REAL EXAMPLE of any of those small companies I listed where the owner got rich let alone got rich fast.

Good Luck--
    GlazeDog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NCThiker View Post
    I think many people like myself are experimenting to see how light they can go, and not go.

Myself, I'm not into trying to beat out anyone else, to be the lightest, I just like to tinker with my kit, and see what I can do with and without?..............................etc,etc,etc, .......................

NCThiker:

you make a GREAT point...the Ray Jardine version of LITE WEIGHT backpacking DOES NOT work for everyone. Some folks LOVE It...some folks cant do w/o those LUXURY items (weigh a bit more).

when i started hiking the A.T. my pack weighed in @ 50lbs complete with 7 days of food & water.

Now...i carry 6 days of food & my pack is (this year) 27 lbs (water included)
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

so I say go buy those 2 pound backpacks and have a wonderful time
    we have and will, most assuredly without your approval; we will continue to participate in this ultra-light hikers forum; something of which you apparently know nothing about based on this and other posts....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

black diamond shadow 3.3
    black diamond meglight 2.8
    marmot helium eq 2
    zlight pad 5.5

wild guess, 8lb
    matthewski

Default The Three Heavies for Jacob Turner

Golite Gust : 20oz
    SilNylon Tarp: 8oz
    Tyvek Ground Cloth: 1.6oz
    8 Golite Y-Stakes: 4oz
    Aircore 2 Guylines: 0.7oz
    Western Mountaineering Hightlite: 16oz
    1/2 Therm-a-rest RidgeRest: 6oz

Total: 3.5lbs

There might be some benefit in adding the climate and topography in which the equipment listed will be used. Maybe just the season(s)/temp ranges and location of the majority of the backpacking will do...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Gossamer Gear G5 pack 9 oz
    Sinntwin 2 person Tarp 11oz
    Marmot Hydrogen bag 21 oz
    Therma Rest short prolite 3 pad 13 oz

54 ozs

3 pounds 6 ozs.

Because they are not hiking the trail but selling gear...do not get me wrong...if you do not reduce your weight you NEED the pack that will handle the weight and distribution. If you are smart and reduce your weight the heavier pack is absolutely not necessary!

If you find it hard to reduce your weight...I have a 1994 Dana Designs pack that was an award winner from Backpacker Magazine; I will sell it to you cheap, that will haul 60 pounds in a breeze...just private e-mail me!

The cottage industry is serving the needs of backpackers whom cannot find equipment that they need, so they spring up and serve and prosper.

If you believe that the American industry KNOWS best then buy an American auto while I drive my Honda for the same reason I carry my Wanderlust tent, Mariposa pack, WM Ultltralite bag and Gossimer gear torso lenght pad!

Durability,weight and common sense has always meant more than what marketing company ads and actions tell you.

Look at Kirk Russell and the Wanderlust tents (which I own) and how he served the backpackers and we waited forever due to poor customer service and the demand for the product!

Then we have Ron Moak and Henry Shires taking almost all of the business from the knowledgeable backpackers with great customer service and products!

Images

1a)North Face Skare4b, 3300 = 3 lb 9 oz
    1b)Go Lite Jam2, 3100 = 1 lb 6 oz - have not hiked with this pack yet!
    2a) Mont-bell 40 degree/sack = 1 lb 2.85 oz
    2b) Winter bag - 2 lb 3.5oz
    3) MSR Micrzoid tent/foot print/poles/sack = 2 lb 14.9 oz
    4) Big Anges pad, mummy cut/sack = 1 lb 7.5 oz

Not sure of which pack yet but, next couple of trips I will decide on the pack:
    1a total is, 9 lb 2.25 oz
    1b total is, 6lb 15.25oz ( 7 lb )

Winter bag weights:
    1a total is, 10 lb 2.9 oz
    1b total is, 7 lb 15.9 oz (8 lb )
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 08-24-2007 at 00:32.

Winter Backcountry (Off Trail) Load (and that's a Quebec winter) -

1. 2003 Osprey Aether 60 - 2lb 15oz
    2. WM Antelope Super MF - 2lb 7oz
    3. Bibler Eldorado - 4lb 8oz
    4. Uber Mtn. 1.5" - 0lb 10oz

Total - 10lbs 5oz

Default I love this thread

I have been working and things are getting better.

Sleeping System - Queen Bed (extra fluff) - 53lbs 3 oz

Shelter System - 20ft Travel Trailer - 3245 lbs 1 oz

Pack - Torpedo Tube (like the ones on top of cars) 45 lbs 2 oz

I will count my Sleeping System for Bag and Pad.

Total - 3343 lbs 6 oz

If you have any suggestions to trim this down let me know.....

(Lets see if people can take a joke)
    (Next will be a dog thread answer)

I think a sleep number bed being mostly air might help.
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

pack: Golite Jam2 (modified) 19oz
    bag: WM summerlite 19oz
    shelter: spinnaker tarp w/beaks (including guylines & tensioners) 8oz
    Gossamer Gear polycro groundcloth 1.5oz
    stakes 2-4oz,depending on if I think I'll be able to find lots of rocks for deadmen I might bring fewer stakes
    homemade silnylon/momentum90 bivy 5oz
    pad: Gossamer Gear Nightlight 3/4 length pad (cut down to 44") 6oz

big four weight = 3lbs 14.5oz

The bivy is optional since my tarp is 9' long with beaks. Sometimes, depending how I feel, I'll add in a 4 oz silk sleeping bag liner. If conditions will be quite cold, I'll add in a 2oz Thinlight 1/4" foam pad. Now, my big four weight listed above is below 4lbs, but that's not including a compression sack for the sleeping bag, which is another 2oz, or the webbing and shock cord I use to attach the bulky ccf pad to the outside of the pack (about an ounce more). My base pack weight is about 8.5 lbs now, but that's not including suitable winter gear for prolonged exposure to temps below 20F.

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++