WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mount Rogers

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

LW, I invited D'Artagnan to join Doc and I on that hike from Massie Gap. How many folks and packs do you have room for? I'm trying to finalize plans now with Doc to do this the weekend of 12 Spetember. Are you still on for the shuttle and parking?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Ok, so it looks like Doc isn't going to make this one. Anyone here want to join D'Artagnan and I for the hike from Massie Gap back to Damascus? The plan is to leave the morning of Friday, 12 September and be back in Damascus by Sunday afternoon 14 Spetember. Post here or shoot me a PM if you're interested.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Beautiful area, but lordy it's a zoo there anywhere around the weekends. Just did the AT-Creeper-Iron Mtn loop last week, and probably saw 20 folks heading up to the Thomas Knob Shelter on my way to Deep Gap on Friday evening.

Couple of things:
    -Water was running pretty much everywhere
    -The Iron Mtn Trail rocks, and I'd love to do it once the leaves drop. I saw 3 people all day on a Sunday. I'm a sucker for ridgeline walks.
    -I was just putzing around for about 4 days, so I took the Highlands Horse Trail from Scales to near Rhodo Gap. To be honest, I preferred that route to the AT.
    -The privy at the Straight Branch Shelter (Iron Mtn Trail) is in dire need of replacement. Roof is caved in, etc. I'm playing with doing some fundraising to make it happen.

-HORSEMEN: Keep your damn horses out of the %&%$)* sprigs! Carry a bucket for your oversized pets to drink out of.

Based on the damage that horses do and the lack of maintenance hours and $ the horse clubs contribute, I'd shed no tears whatsover if horses were banned from public lands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++