WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shining Rock ideas

I will be with a group of scouts next week at Cove Creek campgrounds. we plan on doing several overnights with the scouts. 3 day trips with the older scouts, 2 day with the younger (11-14) scouts. few have any real backpacking experience. Is the Shining Rock area too much for them to handle? I figured we could park at 816 and to a two day and three day circuit. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Images

The Shining Rock wilderness in general is easy, especially Ivestor Gap. Art Loeb has some deep ruts on the balds, good for turning ankles in the heavier brush, but I don't think you'll have any problems (other than crowds, but that's just me)

Well, and since you've got the younger charges, make sure nobody wanders off (I even got turned around on Shining Rock mountain once, ended up following some trail that had been obviously abandoned since the 1970s to a meeting with Ivestor Gap. I still don't know how that happened )
    "Only in the woods can one find solitude without loneliness."-Robert Traver
    Flickr

Images

The issue with Shining Rock right now is water, especially if you're trying to stay on the ridges....

If they are able to hike the 6 miles or so from the parking lot to Shining Rock gap (where there are plenty of campsites), you should be OK - the spring at the gap is flowing. Another idea to either hike up from 215 or down from the parking lot off the Blue Ridge to the Sam's Knob area and camp along the creek. You might even have enough water flow to find a pool to swim in.

Do that, then a day hike up to Devil's courthouse!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Having just done a 30-mile loop in Shining Rock in early June, I would say that this area and the roughness of the trails would not make a good inaugural hike for your scouts, especially the younger ones. Might I suggest you look into the Standing Indian area of the AT as an alternative. There are numerous opportunities for loops out of Standing Indian Campground or if you prefer, drive the USFS road up to Deep Gap as a starting point. Search 'Standing Indian' here on WB and you'll get a ton of information from several threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Having just done a 30-mile loop in Shining Rock in early June, I would say that this area and the roughness of the trails would not make a good inaugural hike for your scouts, especially the younger ones. Might I suggest you look into the Standing Indian area of the AT as an alternative. There are numerous opportunities for loops out of Standing Indian Campground or if you prefer, drive the USFS road up to Deep Gap as a starting point. Search 'Standing Indian' here on WB and you'll get a ton of information from several threads.
    Summit, We camped Standing Indian last year and did several day hikes. Already reserved at Cove Creek so I'm trying to find some overnights in the area. I have some alternatives mapped out, but i sure would like them to see Tennent and Black Balsam. I figure If I don't plan on more than 5-6 miles/day, We should be all right. the challenge is to create a two day and 3 day loop with those parameters. May end up backtracking which would be ok. I'd like to get the older scouts up into the wilderness some; the younger ones, probably in and around graveyard. I want them to have fun, be tested a bit, but I'd also like to return with the same number I started out with.

Images

Check out my map in post #14 here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35453

You could start out at the Black Balsam Knob parking area, over Tennent, hang a right on 362, hang a right on 607 and take the Graveyard Ridge Trail back to your start. The stream area between the numbers 362 and 607 on the map is awesome. You might, as SteveJ mentioned, have water challenges if you make camp up on the ridge.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Check out my map in post #14 here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35453

You could start out at the Black Balsam Knob parking area, over Tennent, hang a right on 362, hang a right on 607 and take the Graveyard Ridge Trail back to your start. The stream area between the numbers 362 and 607 on the map is awesome. You might, as SteveJ mentioned, have water challenges if you make camp up on the ridge.
    Thats a great link, Summit. My original favorite area and it remains my favorite over 20 years later. Proximity has a lot to do with that, but familiarity has opened up views and places that no map can reveal. This place is special, 8+ 6000' peaks in a small area within 70 driving miles of my house in Greenville. I live at 850'.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Thats a great link, Summit. My original favorite area and it remains my favorite over 20 years later. Proximity has a lot to do with that, but familiarity has opened up views and places that no map can reveal. This place is special, 8+ 6000' peaks in a small area within 70 driving miles of my house in Greenville. I live at 850'.
    Who could see this and not be in love

Flickr

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gghiker View Post
    Who could see this and not be in love

Spectacular photo looking towards 260deg WSW less than .25 SSW of the summit of Black Balsam Knob. That is my guess. There are three 6000'+ peaks in this picture. Any guesses? Thanks for this great photo.

Images

I wouldn't want to use up extra bandwidth, but since you liked it, here's a view of Cold Mtn, Shining Rock, Tennant, Pisgah, Frying Pan, and more. From the Art Loeb heading down Black Balsam in Nov '07

Flickr

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gghiker View Post
    I wouldn't want to use up extra bandwidth, but since you liked it, here's a view of Cold Mtn, Shining Rock, Tennant, Pisgah, Frying Pan, and more. From the Art Loeb heading down Black Balsam in Nov '07

Four 6000' peaks in the foreground. The Black Mountains are on the horizon. Tallest East of SD.

awesome photos. that kinda seals the deal for where we go. Summit, I had mapped out that exact hike for the younger scouts. I figure it to be 10+ miles. Can I reasonabley expect 2 mph on that hike? Thanks by the way for your input.

Images

After the short steep climb out of the parking lot you should be able to get 2 mph out of 'em until you start going back uphill on 607 and all of the Graveyards Trail. Count slower going for sure the second half of the hike (if you go in that direction). Glad to be of some help.

Images

All this Shining Rock talk made me miss it badly, so I'll be heading this week for an overnight. There's a few segments I haven't done before, I think I'll correct that this week. I've never done Graveyard Ridge, or been to Silvermine/Chestnut on the MST so those parts are on the itinerary. I can't wait till Tuesday
    Flickr

Default safe and sound

Back from the overnight with the scouts. They had a blast. Shortened the trip so the kids could take their time and enjoy the sights. Started at black balsam. Camped at Shinning Rock. The spring was flowing but just barely. Had cars waiting for us at the 276 parking lot. Ridges the first day and creeks the next. Great diversity and not difficult. A female ranger at the Piscah station tried to talk me out of the trip saying we'd get lost with no blazes. Glad we did not listen to her. Thanks for all the input. We will be back. Troop 2 of Jacksonville, Florida rocks.

Images

shining rock is one of nc's "special" places

++ New Posts ++